.30-06 recommendation

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've been helping a fellow select his next "all around" rifle. We've been to the range a couple of times, and he's shot both of my .30-06 rifles, as well as several others. He's not a handloader, but is fairly new to hunting, and is after that "one rifle" he can rely on for moose, elk, bear, deer and African plains game. I think he's going to choose the Cooper rifle. Here's a note I just sent him:

When you mention game like moose, elk and African plains game, I sort of tune out all my thoughts about sub .30 cal cartridges.

I’ve never hunted moose, but have been around a few that other hunters have taken. They’re huge. The elk I got was big, really big. Africa? Some critters over there look pretty easy to deal with, others seem to be just as big and tough as elk, maybe tougher.

So I start thinking .30 cal, but not as hard kicking as a magnum. And instantly, there’s the .30-06 cartridge, a modern classic.

Outside of some very large, dangerous game, I don’t think there’s much on the planet I wouldn’t hunt with a .30-06 and good bullets. I’ve used everything from 110 gr varmint bullets, to 220 grain Nosler Partitions in my .30-06’s over the years. Grew up shooting one, the old rifle my youngest son now uses. We go after bear with the .30-06’s with no worries about having “enough” gun.

Noted Alaskan brown bear guide Phil Shoemaker uses and recommends the .30-06, and has taken some huge bears with his… He also has larger, more powerful rifles, but really likes the .30-06, particularly with 200 grain Nosler Partition bullets.

Here’s a quote from Phil: “Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.”

Phil’s website is: www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

He’s expensive, but really well thought of for both moose and brown bear hunting.

On common game like deer, a 150 gr bullet is plenty. I tend to use the 165 grain bullet weight for almost all my hunting with the .30-06; deer, elk and black bear. I might favor the Nosler Partition a bit for elk & black bear, and the Nosler Ballistic Tip for deer, but either bullet works just fine. For my son’s old rifle, I load them to 2750 fps. For my newer Remington, the one you shot, I load them to about 2850 fps, and could go higher/faster no problem.

The 180’s are classic, and likely never a bad call. The 200’s and 220’s are heavy bullets, for the deepest penetration. The .30-06 handles those bullet weights well, though muzzle velocity on the 220’s is a bit low, 2500 – 2600 fps.

Craig Boddington, a noted hunter & author, recommends the .30-06 for most African plains game.

For me, I’d use a .30-06 on literally any North American big game animal, even the great bears of Alaska. One of the things I like about the good old .30-06, is although it’s powerful, it’s not overwhelming. A fellow can actually get out and practice with one, without getting beat up. It’s effective up close, or out at long range.

I keep mine sighted in at 200 yards. Hitting game at 300 yards is simply not a problem. A scope with some sort of “ballistic” crosshairs with holdovers in it for 300, 400 and 500 yards would make those ranges fairly easy. I prefer to limit my shots to about 400 yards, and holdover remains very simple. If I was intent on taking the .30-06 to Wyoming, I’d load sleek 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips to about 2900 fps and would consider zeroing it at 300 yards… Just to make those longer shots easier.

It’s not exotic, but it’s a great cartridge. There’s a lot of reasons it’s still so doggone popular. “The .30-06 is never a bad choice.”

Regards, Guy

Well said Guy.
While I might desire something with a little more punch there's not anything bad to be said about the 30-06.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

With 110-220gr bullets the '06 is a versatile platform. the Non-handloader would be well served by this round. I agree with you Guy. I'd hunt the biggest game in N/A with 220PTs and never think twice.

Scott

Guy,

You realize that with what you said we have no solid ground to stand on and all of us here might
as well just sell all our rifles and just get a 30-06! :mrgreen:

Truth be known, its tough to beat a 30-06 for an all around rifle from mice to moose.

JD338

I'll be the contrarian...somebody has got to do it :grin: .

I really like the '06...really do. But I don't care for all the switcheroo of bullet weights. Too complicated and there's not enough trajectory difference between the 150 to 180s out to 300yds to matter at all. It's the thing us enthusiasts do...most hunters will never do the experimentation. Better to buy a case of Federals loaded with 180 Partitions or Accubonds and never look back for the one gun hunter.

The heavy slugs 200-220 don't give you anything a well built 180 doesn't already...except 100yds less effective range. Accuracy in particular rifles can be iffy. Likewise- The 110-125s never grouped well for me...except in one rifle that hated anything over the 150gr.

I'll agree that the '06 is a good rifle for about anything in N.America...provided the user doesn't abuse it by shooting farther than he should.

Big coastal bears are typically hunted in tighter country and shots are almost always under 100yds and often less. But, an Interior griz might not let you closer than a couple hundred yards or even more...and suddenly your versatile '06 is completely outclassed. Most folks who ever hunt grizzlies just prefer more specialized equipment...at least guys who do it more than once. Moose are big but soft, but often can't be approached very close. I'd hunt moose with the '06...but the .300WM would make me feel better about it. Maybe just me or maybe just mental....or maybe I'm mental, but I like more for moose.

As much as I like the '06, it's just not my favorite (I know, heresy)...that said, I've taken more game with the '06 than every other cartridge I've owned...combined.

Well said Guy. With people spouting things like that you could probably almost convince me to own a 30-06..... Almost!

Hodgeman - yup. I just stick with the 165's.

If I was in Alaska, I'd likely stick with the 180 Partitions.

This gentleman is neither a big guy, nor a young guy, but he sure wants to do some more hunting. I'm all fired up for him. He can finally afford to go, and he's doing it. Looking for that ONE RIFLE to count on, in North America and Africa...

BTW, he handled my .375's pretty well, but like most of us, doesn't favor a steady diet of those 300 gr loads.

Guy

I'm with Guy in the fact that the 30-06 would serve him well and would do anything that he asked of it!

I'm also with Hodgeman in that I too like to find a really good load/bullet combination in my rifles and I use that in them. I don't monkey around with every new thing that comes out or try and get 6 different loads in it for different animals. One rifle, one load. I use 165's in my 30-06 for everything. Now if I was able to do the list of animals Guys friend is looking at hunting, I would up to a 180 gr. bullet for most if not everything on that list. If I was so lucky to hunt the big bears or larger African game, I might consider a load with a 200 gr. bullet, but I still would be happy to use the 180 for them all. My bullet of choice is simple, an AccuBond or a Partition, or maybe even an E-tip. One of those three. A fixed 6x42mm Leupold would also be my scope of choice. If I was forced to go with a variable, it would be something like a 3.5-10x40mm Leupold or 2-10 Zeiss Conquest HD5.

I like the .338 Win Mag, a fact I've not made a secret, but this year I'm dedicated to the 30-06 for moose.
There's a few reasons why. My 30-06 has a stainless barrel and Newfoundland is wet. The shots are usually under 150 Yards so the shorter barrel is an advantage. Both the 30-06 and .338 Win Mag are accurate or I wouldn't own them. For the Newfoundland moose hunt the 30-06 makes the most sense out of my battery.
For longer ranges I like the .338 Win Mag or the 6.5x284 but it's hard to beat the versatility of the 30-06.

Vince

Barnes 180 grain TTSX with a stout load of IMR 4350 unless I get a load worked up with IMR 4451.

e8f6b0d815a7a6e15ab876313a3196e3.jpg

Vince said:
Barnes 180 grain TTSX with a stout load of IMR 4350 unless I get a load worked up with IMR 4451.

The 30-06 will surely do everything he wants to do. If he isn't a handloader, he can get the Vortex 180 TTSX and just use it on everything. I gave a missionary friend of mine a 30-06 with several boxes of the then Federal premium High Energy with 180 Partitions and he has killed all kinds of plains game, including eland. Myself, I like working up and using different bullet styles/weights for different game, so I can go from mild to wild. I also have a good load for the 240 Woodleigh (2400fps) in 30-06. Thumper.

Guy, the 30-06 is still the best all around gun as you know. A good 165-180 gr load will handle pretty much anything and yes it would be a good choice for even big grizzlies if a guy can shoot, if he can't it doesn't matter what you use in that situation. I would prefer a deep penetrating bullet of course in that case and there are some excellent factory loads in 30-06 that will do just that.

...I'd still hedge fer the .300WSM, considerable boost in performance w/o much more noticable recoil or muzzle blast... :mrgreen:

In the lower 48 the 165 PT or 180 BT/PT will do nicely for just about anything! The 200 PT will do everything in Alaska .

I have used the 30-06 and .303 British using 150gr, 165gr, 180r and 220r with the 06 and the 174gr, 180gr and 215gr with the .303 on animals from south Mississippi, out west, midwest, the northeast and in Africa - I would carry either cartridge and drop game which indeed I have over the years. What is so inspiring is how effective these to cartridges have proved to be. No, they are not hot rods or canons but are they ever efficient killers. Love both of these cartridges.

Vince":o58oxy9h said:

Nice shooting Vince but you missed the dime!
That should work well for moose or anything you would hunt with a 30-06.

JD338

JD338":1p6ouv1r said:
Vince":1p6ouv1r said:

Nice shooting Vince but you missed the dime!
That should work well for moose or anything you would hunt with a 30-06.

JD338

Yeah Vince you missed bad!! On the other hand don't fix it until it's broke that is a sweet load. I'd just run with it.

Back