30-06

My first big game rifle was given to me by my Grandad, a 7x57 that I still have. Growing up in Wisconsin we were required to use a shotgun with slugs for deer hunting in the County we hunted. It wasn't until I moved out West that I started to think more about rifles. On a hunting trip to Montana at Grandad's place I started talking about picking up another rifle in a more easily acquired cartridge. My thought was having the ability to find ammo virtually anywhere should I either forget or lose mine.

Grandpa was always tinkering with sporterized military rifles and always praised the '06. When he landed on Okinawa in a Seabee detachment he promptly traded his issued little .30 carbine for an 03 Springfield. Can't say that I blame him.

He and I took a drive to D and G Sports in Glasgow MT and looked over the shelves of used guns. They had a Remington ADL with a walnut stock and unknown brand 3-9 scope on it. It sits in my safe today.

I've used it mainly for deer but I've taken it bear hunting, just never filled a tag with it. Primarily I've used 180 grain bullets as I'm a one load per gun kind of person and I figured that would do most anything I've ever asked it to do. But last year I worked up a decent load right at 2800 fps with a 165 AccuBond. I figure I lose a little with a 22 inch barrel but not enough to worry about.

I've had other '06's and still do, mostly 03 Springfields I acquired because I think they are rather neat. I had a Ruger No1 in .30-06, but I traded it for the No 1 in 7x57 I took to Africa.

I will always have my Rem 700 and probably one Springfield sporter I am rather fond of. Can't really think of a more versatile gun to own with ammo so easy to find.

bdbrown66":3vpiql33 said:
I got my first '06 back in the early 90's. It was a custom job on an Oberndorf Mauser action, built for me by my wife's grandfather. It was the last, or one of the last, rifles that he built before he passed away. For this reason, it will remain in the family. It's a good shooter and I've killed a fair number of deer with it over the years. I've got it topped with a Weaver V10 2-10x.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to acquire a 1960's Mannlicher-Schoenhauer MCA from my sister-in-law's father's estate when he passed away. It was his favorite rifle, and he had a bunch. He lived and hunted in Alaska for years, and the rifle has been well-used but not abused. As many of you know, the M-S is a work of art, one of the last of the hand-made "production" rifles. It has the double set triggers, butterknife bolt handle, and is topped by a Pecar 4-10x scope. I've killed two deer with this rifle, including last year's buck.

For my purposes, I've never felt the need to go above a 150gr bullet, either the Sierra GK or one of the Nosler's. My shots are relatively short, and the deer not particularly large, so that bullet weight seems to get the job done without a lot of recoil. If I were going after something larger, I would step up to a 165gr or 180gr Nosler PT/BT/AB and be done with it.

Don't have a pic of the Mauser handy, but here's the M-S.

View attachment 1

This is the definition of an elegant rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At one time I had 5, 30:06 caliber rifles, and used them to take, deer, elk and one black bear. In those days I used the 150 Partition for deer, and 180 Partition for elk. The deer load was powered by 52 gr. of IMR - 4064. The elk load was 61gr.'s of some unknown military surplus powder sold in a cardboard container by Hodgons. It's designation was H-4831. The 06 is an outstanding cartridge, but in the days before range finders, ballistic calculating tables, and all of the other shooting AIDS we now have at our disposal, I found that hitting an animal across some unknown canyon was much easier with a flatter shooting rifle. The 06's hung around for years, but they are all gone now, replaced with a 300 WM, and a couple of long range 7mm magnums. They do the same job as the 06, but they will do it farther, and flatter with a little more energy than the grand old 06.

Dad bought me a Marlin 336 30-30 when I was 14 and though I never told him I really disliked that rifle so as soon as I could I bought my first 30-06 which was a used Remington M725 which I still have to day and the Marlin has been long gone. I actually shot the throat out of the M725 and had it rebarreled to 257 Roberts used it to kill several deer but it just wasn't a 30-06 so I bought my first brand new rifle in the 1980's and it was a Ruger M77 tang safety in 30-06 and I put a Leopold VX III 1.5-5 on it. Talk about a sweet handling rifle that rifle has accounted for more deer then I can remember all one shot kills with a 165gr Hornady inner lock load with a stiff charge of I4350 somewhere around 2900fps. I have carried that rifle hunting every season until last year which I used the 35/AI.
Do I need the 3 larger caliber rifles I own probably not and I do have a lot of confidence in the 30-06 to do what ever I want.
I'll carry the 338 this fall just because I want the extra insurance it will bring to the table but then I still have to do my part and put the bullet where it needs to be for a clean kill.

Cleveland48":1gihvyzm said:
bdbrown66":1gihvyzm said:
I got my first '06 back in the early 90's. It was a custom job on an Oberndorf Mauser action, built for me by my wife's grandfather. It was the last, or one of the last, rifles that he built before he passed away. For this reason, it will remain in the family. It's a good shooter and I've killed a fair number of deer with it over the years. I've got it topped with a Weaver V10 2-10x.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to acquire a 1960's Mannlicher-Schoenhauer MCA from my sister-in-law's father's estate when he passed away. It was his favorite rifle, and he had a bunch. He lived and hunted in Alaska for years, and the rifle has been well-used but not abused. As many of you know, the M-S is a work of art, one of the last of the hand-made "production" rifles. It has the double set triggers, butterknife bolt handle, and is topped by a Pecar 4-10x scope. I've killed two deer with this rifle, including last year's buck.

For my purposes, I've never felt the need to go above a 150gr bullet, either the Sierra GK or one of the Nosler's. My shots are relatively short, and the deer not particularly large, so that bullet weight seems to get the job done without a lot of recoil. If I were going after something larger, I would step up to a 165gr or 180gr Nosler PT/BT/AB and be done with it.

Don't have a pic of the Mauser handy, but here's the M-S.

View attachment 4

View attachment 3
This is the definition of an elegant rifle!

Thank you! I found some pics of the Mauser.

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

mjcmichigan":2ajex20k said:
I'm carrying a 30.06. Lots of game with 150g, moving to 180 BT and PTs.

Two more things to say
1) fascinated with the approach of all H&H line up. 275 H&H, 300, and 375.
2) my 300 win mag came in. Setting up some break in loads this weekend (model 70 ewe with a GS 3 for eyes)

thanks to some generous folks who belong to this forum I was able to obtain the 275, 300, and 375 H & H. I do use the 275 and 300 when sheep and goat hunting, but seldom use the 375, as the 348 has not yet let me down. I have used the 30-06 and 348 far more than any other calibers but really like the 275 H & H

Thankful Otter":22t370c7 said:
I have used the 30-06 and 348 far more than any other calibers but really like the 275 H & H

Well, I guess! Yeah, so long as a person is breathing, she'd like the 275 H&H. :mrgreen:

DrMike":1m7p6xhj said:
No question, Mannlicher-Schoenhauer made one of the finest rifles on the market. Should I encounter one--even chambered in a cartridge I don't particularly crave--I will own it. The epitome of the rifleman's art.

+ 1

Also Dr Mike in reference to your 275 H & H comment---the 280 Ross is also a very nice classic cartridge

I am pleasantly surprised at how many folks have used and are still using the 30-06. Does anyone still have any unaltered military rifles ?

Nope,my .30/06's are both Winchester M 70's. One is a Sporter I bought in June/July 1995 and the other is a Pre '64 Featherweight.

Europe":2fq5zv4u said:
DrMike":2fq5zv4u said:
No question, Mannlicher-Schoenhauer made one of the finest rifles on the market. Should I encounter one--even chambered in a cartridge I don't particularly crave--I will own it. The epitome of the rifleman's art.

+ 1

Also Dr Mike in reference to your 275 H & H comment---the 280 Ross is also a very nice classic cartridge

I am pleasantly surprised at how many folks have used and are still using the 30-06. Does anyone still have any unaltered military rifles ?
Yep I have a M43 Spanish Mauser in 8mm that was made for commercial sale in around 1959. The furniture looks rough because they used surplus parts and just blued over the rust and pits with out cleaning them up first. The barreled action is brand new as is the wood. This one was bought in a local hardware store around 1965 and hasn't had a box of shells shot threw it. The sights are too fine for me as was all of the Mauser sights and very hard to see. I inherited this from my brother in law who bought it new.

Attachments

• KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,561
nice Rodger

April, Tom has a large collection of military rifles and from memory some with the bayonets. Maybe if he comes along he can share or perhaps Charles can confirm if my memory serves me correctly.

Dr Mike, also from memory I think I remember ending that you and Cheyenne use the same woodleigh bullet in the 275 and 280, but again I might be remembering this incorrectly.

Scotty, I am being serious when I ask. I know you dont like the 30-06, can you let me know what you dont like about the caliber, thank you

Yes, I do use Woodleigh bullets in my 280 Ross. They work quite well.

Europe":2ty0z03u said:

Yes :mrgreen: I've aquired 4 M1 Garands and an 03A3 in the last couple of years.

As for hunting rifles in 06 I have one that my dad gave me 45 years ago. It's an Interarms MK X Mauser that has taken a lot of whitetails and one elk.
165s are pretty much all it's ever been fed.
Pretty much the only rifle I hunted with for about 10 years until I got bitten by RADD

It'll go to my son one day

A little late to the party here, but my first big game rifle in the early 70's was a Model 70 push feed 30-06. Still have the rifle today, but rebarreled it last year to a 25-06 as I already have a 300 and 270 wsm. That rifle accounted for a lot of game over the years, mostly with 150g Speer BTSP. Did use 180g factory loads for elk a few times.

My dad was a one rifle guy, he hunted well into his 80's, taking deer, elk, antelope and many jackrabbits around the ranch. All with his Model 70 30-06.

mjcmichigan":2tli7rtl said:
I'm carrying a 30.06. Lots of game with 150g, moving to 180 BT and PTs.

Two more things to say
1) fascinated with the approach of all H&H line up. 275 H&H, 300, and 375.
2) my 300 win mag came in. Setting up some break in loads this weekend (model 70 ewe with a GS 3 for eyes)

Congrats on your 300 coming in. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

hunternyny":2d3tg09i said:
nice Rodger

April, Tom has a large collection of military rifles and from memory some with the bayonets. Maybe if he comes along he can share or perhaps Charles can confirm if my memory serves me correctly.

Dr Mike, also from memory I think I remember ending that you and Cheyenne use the same woodleigh bullet in the 275 and 280, but again I might be remembering this incorrectly.

Scotty, I am being serious when I ask. I know you dont like the 30-06, can you let me know what you dont like about the caliber, thank you

I like it just fine. I think between it and a 7mm Rem a person couldn't do much better were he or she using a single rifle. My pops used and still uses a 30-06 for everything from deer to moose. When I was coming up I wanted something different. I think it's really a great cartridge and messing around a little with mine it's very easy to shoot. It'll have a long way to go to replace my 7 Mashburn or 338 though.

My first deer rifle should've been a 30-06, but I wanted something a little different and got a .280. My next deer rifle was a Remington 7600 carbine 30-06. I thought it would make a handy deer drive gun, and it did. But it was a noisy, flame throwing, harder recoiling, poor trigger gun that I never grew to love. So I "sold" it to my nephew.

I didn't come to love and appreciate the 30-06 until I got a great deal on a used Tikka T3 hunter a few years ago. I really like that gun and have become really impressed with the 30-06. It is easy to load for and really does it all. I'm using 165gr Sierra BTHP gameking bullets, but if I were farther north and went after larger animals, I'd likely be using 180gr bullets.

This past winter I picked up a sporterized military Mauser in 30-06 to tinker with and have been enjoying that gun too. It's really hard to go wrong with the 30-06.

My uncle gave me a full military 1917 enfield when I was 16 ( 1969) Though I never killed any game with it, it started me off right. I've used many '06s in the field and the range through the years. Sporterized Mausers, A sporter 1903, FN commercials, Winchester Mod 70's ( one exquisite supergrade), Mod 700's, Mod 740 and Mod 742's, several Garands. I used mostly 150s for deer/hogs, really like the 165sbt the most. Later in life I went to 180's ( Hornady/partitions) then last, the 200 Nosler PT. I've loaded ammo for guys with the 150 Sierra, Hornady for deer and a couple with the 168 TTSX. Just can't find a bullet that wouldn't work! At this point in my life, I don't have any, and probably won't get another. The little 338 Federal took its place, for me, and the new to me 7x57 with a 175 at 2700 will be so close its not worth fussing over. BUT...I have 'always" suggested a 30-06 with a low to medium power scope when asked my opinion on a first big game rifle. I have seen them do wonderful work in the field, especially by a good rifleman...

AFG270":2300h58a said:
A little late to the party here, but my first big game rifle in the early 70's was a Model 70 push feed 30-06. Still have the rifle today, but rebarreled it last year to a 25-06 as I already have a 300 and 270 wsm. That rifle accounted for a lot of game over the years, mostly with 150g Speer BTSP. Did use 180g factory loads for elk a few times.

My dad was a one rifle guy, he hunted well into his 80's, taking deer, elk, antelope and many jackrabbits around the ranch. All with his Model 70 30-06.

I rebarreled my Grandpa's PF Model 70 from a 30-06 into a 25-06 as well. I still wonder why I did it instead of just leaving it as-is!

But I already had 2 other 30-06s at the time...

My first center fire rifle was a Browning A-bolt II 30/06. It killed every deer I pointed it at. Then I caught the MAGNUM bug and started to neglect my 30/06. I should take it hunting more often :oops: For deer i ran 150g bullets. I usually jumped to 180's when taking it for black bears over bait when shots were usually under 50 yds. I believe 165g bullet would work well for all of my deer/bear hunting. If I were hunting larger game or ones with sharp teeth I'd probably lean toward the 180's instead. That being said I was with my uncle in Alaska when that hillbilly used 150's out of his 30/06 to drop a 54" moose. Ah the good old '06, one of my all time favorites. Everyone should have one :grin:

Back