30-06

DrMike":19vvllo4 said:
truck driver":19vvllo4 said:
I have nothing against the 300 H&H and once owned a 300Bee but I have always wondered why the 308 Norma never took off.
I was considering having the 300Bee converted to the 308 Norma before I sold it.

The 300 Win was more readily available in a larger number of rifles at the time. The decision was economic, at least in North America; and NA is the big dog in commercial firearms.
Yeah it is but everyone complained about the short neck of the 300 Win and the Norma has a longer neck but is a tad slower then the 300 Win but not enough to take notice of and actually looks like a better design then the Win.

It is a rather common story of design losing out to economics. Americans don't readily gravitate to cartridges designed in Europe. Then, there was an issue with availability of brass at that time. Major rifle manufacturers in NA didn't produce rifles chambered in that particular cartridge. All of that combined to ensure that the 308 Norma Magnum would die out quickly. It is a great cartridge, however. I've pulled the trigger on quite a few rifles chambered in the 308 Norma Mag.

Now we are talking.. 300 magnums... :grin:

It's about time we stepped up from the varmint cartridges..

This particular rifle is one you and the good doctor were trying to "help me" with. I believe that involved sending it to one or both of you and getting it back..... sometime.

:lol:

Well, the offer still stands.. That thing probably needs some breaking in.. Can't hardly believe you have a P64 300 magnum and its NOT hunting elk... Not sure if I wanna be in those shoes explaining that when Jesus comes back :lol:

I actually am gonna shoot it this weekend. If it's shooting as I know it can, I may leave the 270 at home and take the two 300's. The WSM clearly goes. It's doing well and has been for a bit now.

If the H&H is on it's game, I think that's my other rifle for the trip.

And if I take the 270, I'm pretty sure St O'Connor will give me some support for my decision. :)

Ha I can't say much as I look into the gun room and see all my elk worthy M70's, sitting there and here I am putting in for nothing but muzzleloader and archery tags. Serves me right I guess. I am afraid that I am going to wake up in October and there will be a note left on my door..

" Your rifles were very sad. They have now been adopted and I will give them proper attention" Scotty.

Only one of them has ever tasted elk before but gosh darn can you believe it was a .270 shooting those little puny 150gr Partition Golds :). The only thing faster than the speed of both of those elk dropping in their tracks is the speed of light.

SJB358":22qwz5sq said:
Well, the offer still stands.. That thing probably needs some breaking in.. Can't hardly believe you have a P64 300 magnum and its NOT hunting elk... Not sure if I wanna be in those shoes explaining that when Jesus comes back :lol:

The generosity of the Marine leaves me utterly astounded (couldn't find the sarcasm font). Don't listen to him, Tom; that rifle needs some northern care if it will ever shoot as it should. (y)

Such selflessness on this forum.... :)

Long story on the old 300, but I think I might be able to make it do what it should. The WSM is running 180 partitions at 2975 and the H&H is running the same bullet at 3015. Two peas in a pod...

tddeangelo":1pbhrzd1 said:

Long story on the old 300, but I think I might be able to make it do what it should. The WSM is running 180 partitions at 2975 and the H&H is running the same bullet at 3015. Two peas in a pod...

You have to love this

Winchester came out with a new caliber 76 years later that is "almost" as good

Charles, sir

that 9.3 x 64 better be a shooter after everything you and my mum went through to get it ready to hunt LOL. What a journey that was, but all is well that ends well. I am pleased to see that Dr Mike also understands the beauty of the old 9.3 x 64. both the 64 and the 62 are still well represented on the dark continent.

Best Regards,

Jamila

Africa Huntress":2a2fc37n said:
I am pleased to see that Dr Mike also understands the beauty of the old 9.3 x 64. both the 64 and the 62 are still well represented on the dark continent.

Best Regards,

Jamila

On occasion, I can be quite discerning, Jamila. :grin: Then, there are other times... :oops:

Africa Huntress":3benu8f0 said:
tddeangelo":3benu8f0 said:

You have to love this

Winchester came out with a new caliber 76 years later that is "almost" as good

Charles, sir

that 9.3 x 64 better be a shooter after everything you and my mum went through to get it ready to hunt LOL. What a journey that was, but all is well that ends well. I am pleased to see that Dr Mike also understands the beauty of the old 9.3 x 64. both the 64 and the 62 are still well represented on the dark continent.

Best Regards,

Jamila

Jamila,

You let that poor lady know that I loaded up 4 different columns of ammo for it's first trip to the range. The third column gave me 1/2"..................... load development started and ended that day! :>) A month later it went on a hunt and knocked down a pretty darn nice whitetail. Dropped him like a sack of hammers it did! I watched the lights go out in the scope. The only movement he made was when he bounced a little when smacking the ground.

I'd post a picture but photo bucket is on my "arnie" list.

She may also be pleased to know that in 2019 I am planning an elk hunt with some friends and my brother. Both he and I will hunt together and both use the 9.3x64. With any luck it shall knock two down. The 250 grain AB that it likes goes 6 jugs so it ought to be one heck of an elk whacker.

Despite all the trials and tribulations with that build it is an excellent rifle and very good shooter. 1.75" @ 300 yards with a 3-shot group ain't bad.

Very pleased with that one!!!!!

Nothing worth having comes easy...............................

I'm like a bull dog, once my teeth are sunk in I do not let go. :>)

I know. Hence my ownership of a 270 Winchester. ;)

Speaking of which, I need to make some loads to work seat depth on that one. And get some ammo out for the 300 Ouch and Ouch to go to the range this weekend.

Been shooting magnums for the last 25yrs and I really thought that's were it's at.Finally decided to try the 30-06 a few years ago.I have four of them now.I have to say,I have been quite impressed with it.This year I turned my lonely 270 Win into a 30-06.I sent it off to Pac-Nor and let them do the work.I really haven't done much as far as load development goes other than seat a 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip about .025 off the lands,powder and wala,she shoots purty darn good.The 28" barrel is getting a few more fps too compared to my other 30-06's.

That level or accuracy with that particular bullet will make the most jaded curmudgeon smile. Fine job!

Back