30/30

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Got a Mossberg 464, and looking to put together a load for the upcoming deer season. Any suggestions?
I have the following powder and bullets to start with.

Hornady 170 FP
Sierra 150 RN
Hornady 160 FTX

H335, W748, LVR, H4895

Thanks [emoji4]

Any of your bullets will give very fine performance on game. I would find a load with either the 748 or LVR powders. I found a nice little load a few grains under Speers max with CFE223 using 150gr Speer Hot Cor FP bullets at a hair over 2300fps. My rifle didn’t like LVR powder. The FTX bullets weren’t bad but I just like the Speer FP. A 30 WCF doesn’t push the bullets hard enough to tear them apart so bonded or PT isn’t needed really. Your Sierras will give you the most beautiful mushroom you’ve ever seen.

Nosler makes a very nice 150 RN CTBT designed for 3030 speeds. A little hard to find at times, but a winner.

Have loaded the 160 FTX on 303 Sav at 2300fps, 5 deer recovered from that one. It is also designed for 3030.

I have loaded the Hornady 150 RN for 3030 in the 3006 at 2500 FPS... works great.

Many excellent choices in 3030.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use 36.5 grains of LVR with a 170 Hornady or Sierra for 2300 FPS. it’s very accurate and shines pretty nicely in the old 30 WCF.

My load is 35 gr of Leverevolution with 160 FTX. Great combination.

Hello,
I just started reloading for my Model 94 ae in 30/30 and I am using 33.5 grains of Leverevolution with a 140 grain monoflex bullet. The bullet shoots and chambers well in my rifle. However, with monolithic bullets I ensure to seat the bullet at an oal of 2.420, at the most. I do this because the bullet is a little longer than a traditional cup and core bullet. This also gives me a little jump. If anyone has a better method I am all ears.

I bought tons of the Nosler Partition 170 grain round nose bullet from Shooters Pro Shop when they had an overstock sale going on. Last year I shot one doe with my Partition in my 30/06 at a velocity of around 2600 and it looked like a 20 gauge hole both at entrance and exit with blood trail on both sides of deer that went about 30 yards. I got the idea of using a 30/30 bullet in an 06 and with a Partition the back will not explode so I have created a bullet with ballistics you can't buy from commercial ammo manufacturers that's the great thing about reloading. I hunt in woods so my farthest shot is 100 yards so that round nose out of a 30/06 at slower than normal speed is perfectly fine but has more punch than just using a 30/30, which is perfectly fine rifle in itself in fact those two combined have put more venison on the table than any other cartridges made.

michsteve":2s8gwfvf said:
I bought tons of the Nosler Partition 170 grain round nose bullet from Shooters Pro Shop when they had an overstock sale going on. Last year I shot one doe with my Partition in my 30/06 at a velocity of around 2600 and it looked like a 20 gauge hole both at entrance and exit with blood trail on both sides of deer that went about 30 yards. I got the idea of using a 30/30 bullet in an 06 and with a Partition the back will not explode so I have created a bullet with ballistics you can't buy from commercial ammo manufacturers that's the great thing about reloading. I hunt in woods so my farthest shot is 100 yards so that round nose out of a 30/06 at slower than normal speed is perfectly fine but has more punch than just using a 30/30, which is perfectly fine rifle in itself in fact those two combined have put more venison on the table than any other cartridges made.
When Jack O270Conner was pressed on what he’d load in a 3006, the answer was and 3030 bullet at 2600 FPS. I used Hornady RN with Big Game. Sub MOA and has taken a decent number of deer. I like your Partition idea. I did have a couple interlocks come apart at 50 yards...

mjcmichigan":wt1vn48b said:
michsteve":wt1vn48b said:
When Jack O270Conner was pressed on what he’d load in a 3006, the answer was and 3030 bullet at 2600 FPS. I used Hornady RN with Big Game. Sub MOA and has taken a decent number of deer. I like your Partition idea. I did have a couple interlocks come apart at 50 yards...

I got the idea off of the web as others were talking about 30/30 bullets but were saying be careful because the bullet could totally fall apart but we know a Partition will not fall apart except for the front nose and with a 170 grain bullet it will still have enough mass to pass through, it worked well on my first deer. I do own a 30/30 so I can also use the bullets in that if I change my mind.

Back