360 Buckhammer season results

For info - tested 360 Buckhammer factory ammo. Check out the tight SD on that 180 grain stuff:
v536sjFh.jpg

Would like to hunt with it, and not sure that I could equal or beat the tight velocity spreads by handloading. Perhaps I'll get a chance to handload for it this year, and maybe hunt with it as well.

Guy

FYI Just in case

Bullet length is 1.04″

Bullet weight is 178gr

Recommended use: Big game hunting

G1-BC=.315 estimated

With the 4mm hollow point in these Shock Hammers they are able to be used in tubular magazines.

Bullet length is 1.04″

Bullet weight is 178gr

Recommended use: Big game hunting

G1-BC=.315 estimated

With the 4mm hollow point in these Shock Hammers they are able to be used in tubular magazines.
I shot a deer this past season with a different caliber Shock Hammer. The best way to say it , deer don’t run after a Shock Hammer hit.

Bullets can do weird things, even good ones. You never know if the shot was as good as you think or if you hit a branch or the deer moved at the last second. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in person, I finally got a shot at after hunting him for four years. I was using a gun & load that I know works. Deer was perfectly broadside at the shot & he collapsed like he was hit by lightning. When I got out of the stand and walked to him, he was gone. I found a couple drops of blood & hair where he fell, but no other sign. I searched for two days and never found him. I believe I didn't hit him as well as I thought or exactly where I was aiming. But who knows!

That being said, the 180gr Speer Hot Cor flat point has been a favorite bullet of mine and a few friends in the 35 Rem. It's been very accurate and I always got exits. I've used the Hornady 200gr FTX & RN as well. The 200gr RN has been a great deer killer for me and just this past season, I shot a dandy buck with it. Huge blood trail and he only went about 40 yards. The 200gr FTX on the other hand, I will not use again. Very accurate in the factory load and I always got exits. However, I've never had a blood trail of any kind which can be a huge problem where I hunt. I shot deer, hogs & a coyote and no blood trails. It was pure luck I found the deer & hogs but I never found the yote until the buzzards did.

I've put the 200gr Hornady RN into jugs and it expanded and held together nicely. At 360 BH and 35 Rem velocities, you don't need a fancy bullet. I've always heard extremely good things about the 200gr RN Core-Lokt too but have never found any. Attached are two pics of the 200gr Hornady RN. I think velocity was 2150 and went into 4 or so jugs. Been a long time since I shot that bullet into jugs.

Attachments

• 20150308_212922.jpg
    20150308_212922.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150308_212950.jpg
    20150308_212950.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the info about the FTX bullet. I had been wondering about it, and contacted Hornady to see if they had load data for it in 360 BH (they did not). I'll cross it off my list. And thanks for the bullet pics, that looks good.

Just to update the thread, I've been working up a load with a 200gr lead HP bullet. Getting close to having something pretty close to final, and then to do some jug testing vs. the Speer bullet I used previously and some factory loads. The weather has been the biggest obstacle, with the rain in the spring and the heat wave lately.

I've been handloading the 200 gr Hornady RNSP in the 360 Buckhammer recently with good results. Accuracy and velocity were both quite good using, of all things, CFE BLK. If I hadn't seen it on Hodgdon's Online Data Center, I probably wouldn't have thought of using it.

1721995801512.png

Bullets can do weird things, even good ones. You never know if the shot was as good as you think or if you hit a branch or the deer moved at the last second. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in person, I finally got a shot at after hunting him for four years. I was using a gun & load that I know works. Deer was perfectly broadside at the shot & he collapsed like he was hit by lightning. When I got out of the stand and walked to him, he was gone. I found a couple drops of blood & hair where he fell, but no other sign. I searched for two days and never found him. I believe I didn't hit him as well as I thought or exactly where I was aiming. But who knows!

That being said, the 180gr Speer Hot Cor flat point has been a favorite bullet of mine and a few friends in the 35 Rem. It's been very accurate and I always got exits. I've used the Hornady 200gr FTX & RN as well. The 200gr RN has been a great deer killer for me and just this past season, I shot a dandy buck with it. Huge blood trail and he only went about 40 yards. The 200gr FTX on the other hand, I will not use again. Very accurate in the factory load and I always got exits. However, I've never had a blood trail of any kind which can be a huge problem where I hunt. I shot deer, hogs & a coyote and no blood trails. It was pure luck I found the deer & hogs but I never found the yote until the buzzards did.

I've put the 200gr Hornady RN into jugs and it expanded and held together nicely. At 360 BH and 35 Rem velocities, you don't need a fancy bullet. I've always heard extremely good things about the 200gr RN Core-Lokt too but have never found any. Attached are two pics of the 200gr Hornady RN. I think velocity was 2150 and went into 4 or so jugs. Been a long time since I shot that bullet into jugs.
I have had good results with factory Hornady 200gr FTX load in my 35 Rem. Shots were about 50 yds and dropped at the shot. My grandson shot a doe with it at about 100 yds quartering to him with entrance behind shoulder and exit Infront of the offside shoulder. Deer ran about 50-60 yds but was not hard to find. Not many to go by but so far It has worked for us. Do and have used the Speer 180gr, Rem 200gr RNCL and hope to use the Hornady 200gr RN this fall. Dan.

Guy, can you quantify your results? Group size, velocity, etc.?
Ya, but not today. At this point suffice it to say my velocity results approached Hodgdon's at over 2300 fps, with tight SD single digit SD. Accuracy at 100 yards from the Henry was good. I haven't measured the groups. Looks like just under an inch from the benchrest for three shots. I'll have a better description soon. But today, that's what I've got. :)

I'd absolutely hunt with this rig and this load and intend to carry it afield.

Guy

Back