.30 Gibbs

Truck Driver,Thanks for the pictures and info. :)

Guy,I forgot about B&C stocks. I looked at Stocky Stocks and they had two stocks from B&C for the 1917 IIRC. ;)

Frankly, I was surprised anyone made stocks for the old beasts anymore. They were made 100 years ago, for a war long since fought. There were a lot of them, but... it's been a long time. Can't be that much demand for 'em anymore. I almost never run into anyone else still using a 1917.

Guy

Best I can tell Boyds is the only company making stocks for the 1917. There is at least one person wanting one. ;)

FYI,it was made in July 1918.

Boyd's isn't the only one making stocks for the 1917, Richard's Microfit makes them as well. MPI makes a hand laid fiberglass stock, but I can't access their web page right now to look at the styles. The biggest problem with 1917/P14 stocks is most stock makers only offer for original military trigger guards.

My Winchester 1917 in .300 H&H now wears a Richard's Microfit because of my straight trigger guard, but as with all their stocks it required a lot of fitting. I wanted a B&C but they only offered their stock with the belly in it. There are also some 1917 stocks on Ebay right now in sporter styles, I didn't check gunbroker.com but you might find a fairly nice one cheap if you keep an eye out.

truck driver":24x3qyuc said:
elkhunternm":24x3qyuc said:
Truck Driver,I was hoping to use a fiberglass stock. After looking online for a fiberglass stock for a Enfield 1917 it is like finding a virgin in the maternity ward. Boyds makes a wood/laminate stock for it and that is the route I'm going to use. I can get a laminate for around $200 or a wood stock in the range of $260. I am going to do the bedding myself.
Get some pillars for it also since your doing the bedding your self it will be easy to do all at once.
You can them dressed up fairly nice with rose wood and checkering.
I have one I bought for my M70 7mm Rem and it is nice but they didn't round the bottom edges off just behind the trigger guard and it cuts into my trigger finger. One day I'll take a rasp to it and reshape it. I don't remember which model it was but was probably the plainsman since it looks like a classic style stock.

What is that sandbag your rifle is sitting on? I’ve been thinking about something like that but don’t know who makes them. Looks like a real gem.

Sorry for the derail.

taylorce1":fwbp8hcy said:
Boyd's isn't the only one making stocks for the 1917, Richard's Microfit makes them as well. MPI makes a hand laid fiberglass stock, but I can't access their web page right now to look at the styles. The biggest problem with 1917/P14 stocks is most stock makers only offer for original military trigger guards.

My Winchester 1917 in .300 H&H now wears a Richard's Microfit because of my straight trigger guard, but as with all their stocks it required a lot of fitting. I wanted a B&C but they only offered their stock with the belly in it. There are also some 1917 stocks on Ebay right now in sporter styles, I didn't check gunbroker.com but you might find a fairly nice one cheap if you keep an eye out.

Thanks Taylorce1,I will look into those companies. :)

b1f30e29ee4eb90e45bd6f62670f31b6.jpg

I got lucky and picked up this old fajen stock at a small gunsmith shop. There are still a few around if you keep your eyes open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

355e0666c97004aa09f6f35a199d7090.jpg

458 LOTT in the fajen stock

4a287f02475c700f686686586d26546c.jpg

9.3x62 in B&C carbelite stock.

A .458 Lott in a 1917 action is a match made in Heaven. Nice 9.3x62 also. :)

I'm leaning towards a Richards Microfit stock. It will be awhile before I get it though. :(

Nice rifle in a cool caliber. I see those 1917's around still and handled a few but don't know much about them. I like the rocker style safety on them like the Rem 725's.

Seems to me that they're a well made action, a little heavy maybe by today's standards but cool guns.

It is heavy and that is not a bad thing IMO. The recoil is not that bad,it is a little more than a .30/06,but not near a .300 Mag.

elkhunternm":39uut5mx said:
It is heavy and that is not a bad thing IMO. The recoil is not that bad,it is a little more than a .30/06,but not near a .300 Mag.

I hear ya. I'm in the same camp. With cartridges that are starting to produce a good amount of thump I like some weight. Of course stock design and fit makes a big difference on felt recoil, but weight that is still easily handled is a good thing IMO.

That 458 Lott is a gentle giant in the 17. It’s not overly heavy but enough to slow down recoil a touch. 350s @ 2750fps still get your attention though.

Yup,the lightest rifles I have weigh 8 lbs all ready to go. The two heaviest are 11 lbs,one is my .22/6mm and the other is my .460 Wby. The .22/6mm weighs that much due to a heavier barrel contour and bi-pod on it. It is easy to shoot,but a PITA to carry. A half day is all I can take.

Thebear_78,I use a 400 grain Speer in my .460 at 2500 fps. I am working on a load with Var-Get that'll get 2600 fps. The recoil is not bad at all IMO.

Back