.300 mag bullet for elk?

furn7r

Thats what I like to see, 25-06 on elk. I am kinda in that dilema right now. I want to shoot an elk with mine, using a 100g PT or 110g AB. I have shot deer with my 25-06 out to 600, and feel a 25-06 with a well placed shot would do the job on a spike out to 400 yards. WHat do you think about the extra 100 yards?? Where did your sons hit the elk, in the shoulder, or behind the shoulder?? Were they cows or spikes or big bulls? ANy info you give me is greatly appreciated.

he hit 2 of them behind the front shoulder one shot kill the other he hit in the spine the were all big cows killed in wyomming in aera 77 which is the national elk refuge its not a easy hunt for some of you that may think there was another guy who was there tht shot a bull with a 25-06 with 110 grn bullet he was about 250 yards one shoth behind the front shoulder not sure what powder he was useing he was in area 75 and his bull was a 6 x6 my wife will shoot hers this year with a 25-06 as well i will let her shoot out to 450 yards with hers my son we just don't let him shoot over 300 as a rule till he gets older good luck on your elk hunt

Here is a pic of a bc moose killed with a 300 win mag 180 grn partation he was hit behind the front shoulder went about 75 yards one shot kill

s2wls4.jpg

remingtonman_26_06; Please take the following as it is intended, not to berate, but to caution. It is true that many individuals should not be taking shots at even 200 yards, but that does not clear the way for those who practice more and feel confident in their abilities to be shooting at game way out there past 500 yards. I have been hunting for 45+ years and have been privileged to enjoy hunting experiences that many will never imagine, let alone experience. I have been an avid rifleman and reloader since the 60's, and I will admit taking a few head of game at fairly long range. However, as more maturity crept into my life, I became increasingly aware of the hazards involved in shooting at game way out there, even with all the equipment that today's riflemen have access to. [I carry a rangefinder at all times, myself] One example: If you are shooting at an Elk 600 yards away, and just as the striker in your rifle fell, that elk decided to walk, you would most certainly wound, not kill, that animal. You mention in your posts carrying an instrument to indicate wind direction and velocity. That is all very fine for a wind blowing where you stand, but is absolutely useless for the wind that may be blowing down the canyon you are shooting over. In fact, The wind may be travelling in the opposite direction at a point 3-400 yards from where you are shooting. As distance increases, the chances that conditions could contribute to a "bad" shot also increase, sometimes dramatically. One thing that I notice in your posts is a bit of a condescending attitude toward those who choose to not take those long range pokes, accompanied by a slight arrogance in your own ability. I suspect that will disappear once you mature a bit more or when you wound a majestic animal and fail to recover it on one of those long, long shots. Not wishing the latter to happen, of course, but it is almost certain to do so if you continue to bang away at game at 6, 7 and 800+ yards. Regards, Eagleye.

A friend has done his homework and field testing with his bullets on elk in CO he hunts with a 300 Weatherby firing Nosler 165gr solid base bullets using IMR 4831 powder at 3400fps drops his cows,only shot a couple of bulls prefers good tasting meat not rank.

IMO being a hunting guide for 6 years in Northern BC, guiding for moose, sheep, grizzly, caribou, and goats the most important thing is to pick a rifle your comfortable shooting. Ive seen every type of gun with every caliber and bullet wieght come buy and I would have to say I much rather see ahunter come up with a 270 that he has shoot for years and shoots all year long with then the guy with the brand new 338-08 plus sized rifle shooting a huge 220gr bullet that he hates to shoot cause it kicks like a mack truck!!! And has to be a Dr. or lawyer to aford a shell for the thing.

It doesnt matter how big the bullet is or what kind of bullet, if you arent comfortable shooting it then its not worth anything!! IMO :wink:

And remember its shoot placement :lol:

180 gr or 200 gr NP or AB.

Whatever you rifle likes. Anyone of the above will work.

I also agree with 180 or 200 gr AB or PT bullets. If it were me, I would start with the 200 gr AB. It will shoot flat and hit hard.

JD338

roysclockgun":f4dl4uw1 said:
remingtonman wrote: "Out to 500-600 yards, I would pick a 300 WM over a 338 WM any day."

No doubt about what remingtonman wrote. Before you think about killing them, you must make a killing strike. IMO on the shots to which remingtonman directs his statement, a rifleman has a far better chance at making a killing strike with a 300WinMag then with the 338WinMag.

Not to be argumentative, but a RIFLEMAN will have an equal chance using either rifle, because a RIFLEMAN will know the trajectory of his load and will have practiced with it obsessively before he would even consider shooting 600 yards!

I've put a lot of longer-range work in in the last year. My original goal was to become lethal to a consistant 400 yards. I ahve extended that to a perfect-conditions-only 500 yards with both my 30-06 and .338 Win Mag. In both cases, it is familiarity with the turret and/or reticle that allows confidence at that range, as well as some ability to read wind (which I still suck at!). Anyway, my point is that that within reason how flat your rifle shoots has NOTHING to do with making a 600-yard shot, because ANY rifle is dropping so much that you need to compensate at that range. And once you are compensating, it's no different to compensate for a .338 Win Mag than for a 300 Win mag.

-jeff

You are correct Jeff,

When the wind picks up, 400+ yds will seperate the men from the boys.
Good to hear you are shooting 500 yds!

JD338

Well, I'm not a confidant 500-yard shooter unless everything is just so. No wind, plenty of time to set up, big target (like an elk) and so on and I'd be over 85% in the vitals. But that's a shot I'll pass on more often than not, methinks.

BUT, as you guys have said, the beauty of practicing at 500, 600 yards is twofold: first, you learn what you can and cannot do, and second, it makes something like 375-yard shot an absolute chip shot.

-jeff

Jeff Olsen":2r0glzb6 said:
BUT, as you guys have said, the beauty of practicing at 500, 600 yards is twofold: first, you learn what you can and cannot do, and second, it makes something like 375-yard shot an absolute chip shot.

-jeff

+1

JD338

Back