300 rem ultra mag

Sas874runner

Handloader
Oct 10, 2012
So the gun store by my house has a gun on consignment that I believe is a screamin deal input asap is appreciates.
Remington 700 2 years old. Chambered in 300 rum with a 6-32 50mm scope. I believe its a burris. Synthetic stock. The owner bought it and sighted it in. Said the gun was way to much for him. Said maybe 40 rounds thriugh the barrel. They are asking 400 for the whole setup. Any input?

You could probably sell it for a profit easily if you don't like it, I would snag it.

Heck of a cartridge. Normally they are very accurate, but yes, the recoil & muzzle blast can be... stout? intimidating? horrendous? You get the idea.

1. handload - it's really hard to beat the proven combo of 95 gr Retumbo and a 200 gr Nosler AccuBond at about 3150 - 3200 fps. Accurate and hard hitting.

2. if it's a sporter weight rifle, get a muzzle brake. Don't think about it, do it.

Regards, Guy

Jump on it. As Brian said, the action alone is worth $400.

JD338

They have the gun new at bimart for $495, but its,an adl, .300 rum is a dandy cartridge. seems like a good deal to me when you throw in mounts, rings, and scope!

Two things I'll add:

1. Take a good look at the bore. Throat erosion could be a problem if the round count you were given is not valid. Not saying they're lying, but maybe they don't know for sure, or maybe the owner told them a story. Or maybe they're trying to sell a rifle...

2. Check the eye relief on the scope. That could well be the reason the prior owner doesn't like it. A short eye relief scope would make recoil seem worse, and would tag an eyebrow pretty quickly.

Beyond that, get it. If you don't care for it, you have the option to sell for at least "even money" or rebarrel it to anything with a .532 casehead, which includes every belted and ultramag round out there, except the 378Wby-based stuff.

There is hardly any where on it what so ever. The bolt face has no markings. And the entire gun looks brand new. No marks on the lugs and chamber and throat are spotless.

Sas874runner":2woevsqc said:
There is hardly any where on it what so ever. The bolt face has no markings. And the entire gun looks brand new. No marks on the lugs and chamber and throat are spotless.

By what you just said and for 400.00 we should be looking at pictures of your new rifle.

Bill

A few thoughts...

As others have said, the action alone is worth $400. I'd buy this one in a heartbeat, for that reason alone.

That said, while this may get me flamed for being a snob, I'd swap out that scope before ever carrying it in the field. Burris isn't a bad optic, but the big, hard recoiling rifles are just too hard on the mid/low end scopes. And while it would probably be just fine as a target/range optic for long range fun, it's too big in size/weight/magnification for hunting, even for the long range shooting that caliber can excel at. I can't even conceive of hunting with a 32 power scope. (You might want to check the specification as well, I don't believe Burris currently makes a 32x.)

Good rifle, fun project, optic rates a 'meh' in my book.

Paperwork is in. Waiting for CBI to reassure me I am legal to owner a firearm. I should be posting pics in less than a week

Sas874runner":30sr5ojr said:
Paperwork is in. Waiting for CBI to reassure me I am legal to owner a firearm. I should be posting pics in less than a week

Good deal, you're going to really like the 300RUM.

Back