300 RUM 180 vs 200

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
I believe I am starting to way over think this whole thing. I have a pretty good load worked up shooting 99 grs of retumbo under a 180 gr ballistic tip and I am yielding over 3300 fps very consistently. I think that once I get the new stock and get it all bedded It should shoot lights out I would say right now its about 1/2" at 100 yds with an occasional flier.

My question is it seems to like the 180 and I do not want to drop the coin on a box of 200s unless I really need to or unless I am not going back to 180s as I have no other 30 caliber rifles to try them in.

Realistically all I ever hunt is deer and I have yet to elk hunt but in the future they could be on the menu occasionally. SO I dont think that this warrants the 200 unless it is that much more ballistically superior to the 180. I also wont really ever hunt with this rifle unless it is for Elk or if it is really windy as I have way to much money into my 257 wby to leave it in the safe.

Also do you think I run the risk of it just not liking the 200 and if I do go to a 200 should I stick with the AccuBond or part of me is wanting to give the Partition a roll as some one once told me he never saw a 30 cal that wouldnt shoot the 200 gr Partition

nitis,

The 180 gr is all you need in your 300 RUM to hunt everything from mice to moose.
The 200 gr AB does have a higher BC and will retain more energy down range. The 200 gr PT is a hammer and will penetrate very deep into the biggest of game.

Don't worry, be happy with the 180 gr and don't look back.

JD338

Shoot the 180s and enjoy. That bullet will work very well when launched from your RUM to take game cleanly.

I have taken many many bulls and bucks with the 180 grainers of some kind with a 300 Wby through the years and my speed was not a lot less than your RUM. I would go with the AB instead of the BT for elk because of the speeds you are clocking, but if you can hit with the 180's, they'll work well!

Yup, agree with all the others, if your rifle really likes those 180's get some PT's or AB's and be really happy with it! If you are getting 3300 out of it, you would have to take some really long shots to ever see the advantage of 200's. I shoot 200's out of my 300WM, but 180's would never bother me either and handled elk just fine. Elkman has shot a gazillion elk with a 300WM and 180gr PT's and I think it would take a whole Battalions of Marines to make him ever change his mind about their effectiveness! Scotty

Use a good 180.

I use the 200 AB. at 3100 or so with retumbo or RL25.

Just magical! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Well Id say since your not hunting elk with it then you wont ever need the 200g bullet.

The 180g is all you'll ever need for deer.

Nothing wrong with the 180 for sure if it is shooting good. The 200 Ab is a great bullet, but if it aint broke don't fix it.

nitis":1beqgbht said:
Leave it to POP to keep my wheels turning

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Look if you shoot the 180 AB's and you get the accuracy you want then you're golden.
Personally I would not hunt big game with the 180 BT's unless I knew I was going to do the LRH thing.

I use 200gr ABs and Retumbo in my 300RUM and the rifle loves it. Still waiting to hunt Elk with it but it would be hard to change to the 180 AB.

Antelope_Sniper":38yihvzp said:
If I accidently buy by friends 300 RUM, I'll load the 180's for everything and never look back.

This is one of the best euphemisms I've heard yet! It ranks right up there with "I've got this extra scope, and it's just begging to have a rifle underneath it..."

If it were my choice, regardless of the deer/elk question, I'd go to a 180gr AccuBond or Hornady Interbond, or a 180gr E-Tip/TTSX/GMX. Whatever was the most accurate. I don't like BT's at 3000+ MV, but it's a personal choice.

I'd sure never feel undergunned with a 180gr at 3300. Heck, I don't feel undergunned with a 180gr at 3200fps out of the 300Wby I have on "permanent loan."

My RUM likes the 180's better than the 200's
There isn't an animal on this continent that would walk away from a well placed shot from
that rifle & a 180gr "premium" bullet.

Back