300 RUM and ABLR's?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Has anyone had any luck with the 300 RUM and 190 or 210 ABLR's? Let me know please.

What were your results? Velocity Accuracy?

Remington 700’s 3.688 oal 3150 was the average under an inch. Probably close to that .75 if I was having a good day. Am sure your results will be far better than mine. But I was happ.

Man, that’s a great question. I think my 1-10 is marginal for the 210’s at sea level. Not just my RUM but my sons 300 Wby stink with the 210’s. I have some 190’s that might be good though. They should be fully stable in any atmosphere.

At least this is what I tell myself cause otherwise I can’t sleep knowing I couldn’t use 4-5 powders and messing with seating to get them to shoot.

I’d bet the 190’s flying along at 3200 or better would be some tough on elk.

What’s the twist on the RUM you’re using Fotis?

I can't imagine an elk walks this continent that can tell the difference between a 190 grain pill and a 200 or a 210 grain bullet. Yeah, a 190 grain pill at 3200 fps would be a wicked piece of malice for about any animal.
I have some just haven’t had the time to work them.

my thoughts are the ABLR really does better off RPMs and bullet jump. My 1-8 Mashburn does excellent with the 175’s and the 6.5 PRC did well with 129’s and 142’s but wouldn’t do beans with the 150’s. I know the books, charts and such say they’re fine but I just don’t see that on paper. I’ve tried my but off with a few before realizing that I don’t want them in certain rifles if they’re that finicky.

Man, that’s a great question. I think my 1-10 is marginal for the 210’s at sea level. Not just my RUM but my sons 300 Wby stink with the 210’s. I have some 190’s that might be good though. They should be fully stable in any atmosphere.

At least this is what I tell myself cause otherwise I can’t sleep knowing I couldn’t use 4-5 powders and messing with seating to get them to shoot.

I’d bet the 190’s flying along at 3200 or better would be some tough on elk.

What’s the twist on the RUM you’re using Fotis?
RMP is 8 proof research

I'm going to try it out with retumbo LTR and possibly Imr 8133

Last edited:
Nothing beats real world experience, and I don't have it with that bullet and cartridge. But going off of JBM bullet length list and a 3000 or above speed, his site says yes the 210 ABLR will be stable with a 10 twist.

Barnes site says stable putting in the same imputs but it's at the bottom of stable on the scale, just above marginal. Using that info I'd say you'd be good to go with an 8 twist Fotis.

I shoot 230gr Berger OTM at 3150fps in a 10 twist at 700' asl.
My SG is 1.5. And it shoots amazingly accurate.

Back