300 SAUM has a new stock and other goodies

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
First the story: I picked up a new M700 stainless BDL last fall for a price too good to pass up. It didn't matter what it was chambered for, it was coming home with me. I spent a little time initially with Nosler brass, H414, WLRM primers and 180gr Hornady BTSP. That load showed some promise but was primarily for me to get a feel for my new "fat bastard." H414 was very clean in this gun. It's filthy in my 22-250 and had to switch to Varget for that, good switch. I also tried some 165 and 180gr Accubonds due to the BC and structural advantages over the Hornady. Still wanting to work on some other loads while sticking with powder(s) that I had on hand, I moved to IMR4831 and standard WLR primers. Once again, the Hornady bullet was out-performing the Accubonds. The 165's didn't show me much after a series of charge weights and seating depths, limited to magazine length. The 180 Accubonds are a solid 1" with the occasional .6" while the Hornady's are a consistent .7" with several .3xx" 3-shot groups. The Hornady's are shooting 1 grain more powder and are a bit faster, 2920 vs. 2984 average for the strings that I chrony'd. I've had two other people shoot groups with the Hornady's and none of those were over 3/4" for three shots. Man, I like that! POI is not too bad either, the Hornady's shoot 6 clicks to the right of the Accubonds. I want to try some TTSX's, E-Tips and Partitions but I'm not sure if that's time and money well spent. What's not to like about a 180gr Hornady at almost 3000fps? The most likely use for this rifle will be Eastern Oregon mule deer and general black bear. That and making some steel gongs go ding-dong.

The new goodies are:

B&C mountain TI stock, black with gray web, fully bedded model
Gre-Tan firing pin assembly to replace the factory ISS
Elite 2.5-10x40 (existing Monarch 2-8 BDC went on my 223)
Talley lightweights (existing Leupold hardware went on the 223 as well)
The factory trigger breaks cleanly at 3lbs 4oz with no creep or over-travel. I like it.

This is one of two rifles that I am still contemplating different glass for. You know, my over- analytical thread on reticle, turret, power and SF choices. I want this rifle and a 270WSM to look and feel the same and have the same scopes.

MG, that sounds like a great load and as much as I like Nosler bullets, I can't see that 180gr Hornady ever giving you any issues at that speed. What I can see is alot of muley and black bear meat in the freezer!

That is a well set up rifle. Throw some pictures up for us guys living through you! Scotty

This is all I can get to transfer to the host site. The other 3 pics show fine in my files but are blank when I transfer. Crap like this is something which I have zero tolerence for. 4 images taken at the same time with the same equipment and sent the same way but only 1 shows up. How in the hell did the government get into my camera?

FatBastardfullview.jpg

Thanks JD! Even though the B&C is not exactly a lightweight stock, it balances and feels so much better than the factory plastic. The new Elite series has a better eyepiece design and the new Ultra Wide Band coating seems to have some advantages with resolution and contrast in low light or when looking into the shadows. It doesn't seem to be any brighter than the previous 4200's which makes sense since it's essentially the same. I've only had it out to the hills once shooting gongs out to 417 yards. It might be difficult to send this scope to another rifle. So far, it has done everything quite well.

Adding to an old post, but I just got my 300 SAUM put together.

Remington model 7 stainless. Came with a black synthetic stock. I replaced it with a Remington laminate stock and mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x36 scope.

Loaded up some 180 Gamekings and hit the range for sighting in. Grouped OK, still need to play with the load and adjust the trigger. I was expecting a sharper snap from the rifle, but it shoots comfortably.

I am going to try some 165 gr Partitions next week.

While not everyone likes the laminate stock, this stock is the same as my Rem 673's in 6.5 RM and 350 RM.

1347046972.jpg

And, Dan, did you notice Eric didn't twist the bolt and distort the action?

Yes Mike, but I have been taught not to tease people who have not yet seen the light :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

SPS has 165 gr PT on sale. Have a bunch coming and hope to find a sweet spot load for it.

Cheers

Eric,

I would think those 165s will work magic through your rifle. They will work for about anything you would want to hunt with it.

Nice rifle Eric!

My 300 SAUM is still the same as pictured above, new glass went on a different rifle. I did end up developing a load with the 168gr TTSX and RL-17. It groups like the Hornady load and averages about 3114fps. Now, I just need to find a bullet test subject this hunting season.

Back