.300 Savage 130 grain TSX or TTSX for elk?

I am an old-timer; I like heavy for calibre bullets. However, having done a bit of shooting, I've discovered that the monometal bullets are a game changer. Velocity becomes the hero in the scenario. As long as the shooter can keep the velocity up, the monolithic bullets do as good, or better, job of killing game. I'm shooting more E-Tips than TSXs at the moment, but either will work, and work very well. For young shooters, I'll do whatever is necessary to reduce their discomfort from the bench so that they aren't intimidated in the field. Consequently, I'm inclined to reduce the bullet weight to reduce felt recoil for the young shooter.

Elk are tough animals. I was raised to think that person needed at least a 338 WM slinging at least 250 grains of lead; otherwise, the bullets would bounce off. Everyone knew this; it was common knowledge. However, not all the younger shooters know this and a few older cranks are unaware. My grandson carries a 260; he is not undergunned. My little native buddy carries a 300 Savage in a Remington Classic. It works quite well. I've taught both of them to hold their shot until they are comfortable with the shot and confident that they can place it in the boiler.

While I like it when an animal drops at the shot, such seldom happens in the field. Part of hunting craft is observing the terrain, watching how the animal reacts and where that animal goes after being hit, and learning to track through what some imagine to be trackless. It is work, but the delight of the hunter to apply the skills he has honed.

When shooting cup and core bullets, I still tend heavy for calibre. When shooting the bonded core bullets, I'm comfortable dropping down a bit in weight. When shooting the monolithic bullets, the weight reduction can be quite pronounced and the shooter can still be confident of a clean kill. More pointedly to the OP, a 130 grain TSX or TTSX launched by the 300 Savage will assuredly drop an elk and do so quite cleanly if the bullet is placed in the vitals.

To that point I would have never thought a few years ago about a 130 grain bullet out of a 270 WSM being a moose/elk load. But you've taken quite a few of them with excellent results. It's hard to step out of the heavier for caliber sorta mindset but bullets that retain all the weight they do these days change up the mindset pretty quick.

True, dat, Scotty. The 130 E-Tip is my standard load in my 270 WSM; and I'm not pushing it at top velocity! It sure is accurate, though.

I've bought some ETs recently and monkeyed around a little with the 168's in Brandon's 300 Weatherby. Accuracy and speed are there. I can't bring myself not to like the 200 PTs though. They are shooting very well for us.

I'd gladly run that 168 ET though and may in the future.

Sectional density of a bullet pretty much goes out the window and it's a non-issue with mono metals.

use TTSX and 130gr or150gr. keep your shots closer(no 400+ yard shots)
For elk I use my 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frame bullets. They drop like a rock. This is my 6X6 and I got an 8X9 also.

Attachments

• elk3.JPG
    elk3.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Were you able to work up any loads with a 300 Savage and the 130 TTSX? I would be interested I just bought a 300 Savage 99

I used the LeveRevolution powder in my Dad's 300 Savage with 150s and had excellent results.
The bonus is that it's generally available and affordable.

Back