300 savage

I have a 99 just like that one and it does shoot! Try RL-15 (42 gr) and the 165 grain bullet, mine shoots this under an inch with 2600 fps plus.

Thanks, guys! It's a rifle that was given to me by a late cousin. The finish is a little trashed, and the stock has a little crack in the tang that I need to get looked at. I know it has no collector's value, so I'm going to look into getting it refinished, also... maybe Ceracoated. Something traditional looking, but more rust resistant than blued steel. And the receiver sight. (Thanks, JD. That's what I was thinking of. Just need to figure out which model.)

OK, officially a little envious. I say a little because I never had a hankerin' for a 300 Sav. Now, the same rifle in 250-3000 Sav. Thats another story. Dont sell the collector value of the 99 short. In the right (wrong?) place I have seen $800+ price tags on them. I looked at a 300 several weeks a ago not nearly as nice as yours that was asking almost $5oo and I bet they got it. The crack in the tang is fairly common for the 99. I have no idea the best way to repair it or even if it should be, Most of the cracks Ive seen looked pretty superficial. The 99 gives nothing away to any lever action out there. Lots of classic features and supeb balance. From what I hear potentially pretty accurate too. Nice Rifle.

Oh, trust me, CL, I'd love to have a 99 in .250 Savage, and particularly .358 Winchester.

Of course, I'd love to have 70s or 700s in .250-3000 and .300 Savage, too!

Yup, trust me, 10 years from now I'll be kicking myself for not buying a 250 in the Savage American Classic. Thats in the catolog now. Maybe I'll regret it sooner..... CL

shot the open sight 99 300 savage today 150gr at 2600fps shot 1 5 shot 3" 100yrd group 3 others under 4 1/2". Not bad for for my old eyes.

You got a real winner there for sure BK.

A 300 Savage is a darned fine weapon and really when you think about it, the 300 Savage was the first attempt at a Short Magnum.

They wanted 30-06 performance in a shorter, lighter powder column with comparable bullet weights. At the time the 30-06 was squirting 150 grain bullets @ 2700 fps, the Savage round gets 2600-2650fps with 150's, so for all intents and purposes it was accomplished. And there's just something about that Savage 99 rifle... :wink:

Back