.300 Ultra Mag - SPS

TBastian - good looking rifle & scope setup.

In my limited experience with the .300 RUM - you should be very pleased. It's a .30 cal powerhouse for sure.

Best of luck with it at the range and in the field.

Guy

Ended up finally getting the TTSX's shipped in...headed out to the range this weekend and tested three different loads. Loaded the 180 grain TTSX over 90.0, 91.0 and 92.0 grains of H-1000. 91.0 grains ended up with a 0.95" group, while the other two loads shot right below 1.5". I was fairly pleased with the 0.95" group, but it looks like I'll need to take everyone's advice on this caliber and buy some Retumbo. I'm hoping to find a load that will average around 3/4" at 100 yards...we'll see!

Looking forward to a future trip to Bend, for some Nosler Partition 2nds!

And while you're at it give us a report on the redfield.

It's been great so far...I really don't foresee there being any issues with it. Being made in Oregon, by Leupold says a lot. They wouldn't put out a bad product. I've only shot about twenty rounds through her though, so we'll see. The glass is pretty clear up to the edges, and the dials track wonderfully. I like the fact that it has hand adjust dials, they're very similar to the new VX3's.

The 165 grain Partitions are shooting like a dream, I just think I need to shoot the 180's...that and the fact that the Accu-Range Reticle is set up for 180 grain loads. Since this will be an in between, long range rifle (between my .30-06 and .338 Win Mag) the 165's may be just fine. I'll use it for black bears, mule deer, and elk.

More to come...

Man, that 300RUM has to really send those 165's! I would imagine they would be something of an awesome deer and elk bullet for longer shots and such! Scotty

Welcome to the world of RUM's :grin:

Sounds like it's all falling into place for you real well.

I've settled on 180gr Accubonds and IMR-7828. I'm not a heavy recoil fan - my Sendero wears a Vias Brake.

Congrats on the 300 RUM, it is one heckuva cartridge when loaded with 200g ABs or 210-220g target bullets. My old 300 RUM preferred H1000, but shot Retumbo decent as well, never tried any RL25. The 300 RUM is a very accurate round given the amount of recoil and power it produces. I bought one 5-6 years ago in an LSS and put 1200 rounds through it in a couple years, then rebarreled it to what is now my 338 EDGE. Awesome LR caliber for a factory round at an affordable price. Recoil was managable for me in the LSS rifle and I only weigh 145#. I told myself that I would see how well I shot it at LR before I muzzle braked it or not. It ended up being a very accurate rifle and I shot it pretty good with no brake, so I decided against it since I knew I was going to be rebarreling in a couple years. The muzzle jump was horrendous, but other then that, have a tight hold on your shoulder and trigger grip hand and it wasn't that bad. The laminated stock helps quite a bit vs the cheaper synthetic stock that are hollow in the rear end as well. Have fun with your new toy!

Back