.300 Ultra Mag vs. .300 Weatherby Mag?

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
I'm interested in getting an inexpensive matte/synthetic long range deer/elk rifle. I currently own two .338 Win Mags, in a BAR and A-Bolt, as well as, two .30-06's in the same rifles as the .338's. On the lighter, faster end of things I have a .257 Wby Mag, in a Mark V.
I'm currently looking at either the Remington 700 SPS, .300 Ultra Mag; or the Weatherby Vanguard, .300 Weatherby Magnum. Am I negating the reason to own a .300 Weatherby Magnum by purchasing a Vanguard, with a 24" barrel? The Ultra Mag is faster and also has a 26" tube.
I'm looking for some opinions from guys who are already shooting these rigs, as to which one might be preferred. Thanks in advance!
-TODD

If your only use is for deer, your 30-06s are more than sufficient. I do own a 300RUM but I use it primarily for elk, moose, and bear. I use my 270WSM or 30-06 for deer sized game.

Now if your dead set on getting a 300RUM or WBY, my choice would be the 300RUM. Reason being is factory ammo is way cheaper and so is the brass. Again, just my opinion.

As for cost/availablility, 30-06 and 338WM ammo and components are far easier to find and cheaper to get than the 300RUM/WBY stuff.

FWIW, an '06 with 150gn bullets should plenty for just about any range for deer sized game, or you could load one of your 338s with 180 or 200gn bullets.

+1 the 30-06 is much more usable for deer only situation or hunting need.

I like the 300Wby but only in a Mark V and I believe it is the perfect 300 magnum between the 300WSM and the 300Rum. I also like the 300Rum for the reasons Richard mentioned.

here is a picture of my 300Wby Mark V Custom (Thor's Hammer)

IMG_6462.jpg

Since you already have Medium covered with the '06, how about a long-range set up? 300 RUM, with at 26" heavy barrel, and a LR scope?

TBASTIAN":1gy1kv2n said:
I'm interested in getting an inexpensive matte/synthetic long range deer/elk rifle. I currently own two .338 Win Mags, in a BAR and A-Bolt, as well as, two .30-06's in the same rifles as the .338's. On the lighter, faster end of things I have a .257 Wby Mag, in a Mark V.
I'm currently looking at either the Remington 700 SPS, .300 Ultra Mag; or the Weatherby Vanguard, .300 Weatherby Magnum. Am I negating the reason to own a .300 Weatherby Magnum by purchasing a Vanguard, with a 24" barrel? The Ultra Mag is faster and also has a 26" tube.
I'm looking for some opinions from guys who are already shooting these rigs, as to which one might be preferred. Thanks in advance!
-TODD
.....................Even though the RUM is faster, when you really analyze the ballistic down range #`s in trajectory, energy and so on, there is really nothing one can do, that the other cannot do! Success or failure when using either, will be determined 100% by the hunter and not either of these two cartridges.

I had a 24" tubed 300 Win Weatherby Vanguard (wood stock) for 35 years and never had an issue with that rifle.

As a matter of fact, I`ll throw in the 300 Winny to be included in my above statement with the 300 RUM and 300 Wby. According to my latest Sierra manual, 150 fps seperate the 300 Win from the 300 RUM using a 180 grain bullet with the 300 Wby falling in between the two, all with 26" barrels.

A 24" barrel vs a 26" er will reduce your velocity by about 15-30 fps per inch or a total of 30-60 fps on the average.

Still, when the vitals are hit, no deer or elk will ever know the difference between the three at 200 yards, 300 yards, 400 yards or at 500 yards.

For elk, my chrony`d 300 WSM (max) re-load, propels a 200 A/B @ 2828 fps which gives 1951 lbs of down range energy at 500 yards. Certainly enough for any elk!.......And that is coming out of a 16.5" barreled compact!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

In your case, first choose the best rifle for you; for feel, handling wise, looks wise etc. Then, if that particular rifle happens to be chambered in the 300 RUM, 300 Wby, or even the 300 Win, you will be happy and cannot lose either way.

When you say long range how long do you mean? Your 30-06's will do just fine for most situations. However if you feel you need or want a rum heck get one.....I would :lol:

POP":37dfcvkz said:
However if you feel you need or want a rum heck get one.....I would :lol:

+1 :)

My 270WSM and 338WM are more than capable for anything in NA. I bought the 300RUM & 338RUM just because I wanted them. The 30-06 was bought for another reason, but I ended up with it in the long run.

I have all the RUMs except the 300. I've had a 300 Wby in Win mod 70 with 24" barrel. I have the Weatherby Accumark in 30-378. If I had it to do again I would get the 300RUM. Not just for the excellent caliber but also the Remington rifle. The weight, ballance and 26 " barrel in the XCR is better than any other rifle I own and the trigger is adjustable. The Vanguard is going to require a Riflebasix trigger. The factory trigger is rough and creepy beyond adjustment. Beyond that it's just a matter of taste in rifle types. The 300WBY as a caliber is still power-a-plenty.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

i own a 300 winnie and a 338 winnie. i was looking for an 300 rum but heard they were barrel burners. i have no experience with either wby or rum. but it will say the 338 is my hands downs favorite. in the high winds the 225 grain and higher bullets dont hardly waver off target. hell i 3 days my 338 killed 1 elk and 2 4 pt whitetails.do what you want to and have fun doing it.

I picked up a remington sps in 300 rum last fall. I have been very impressed with it, I worked up an extremey accurate load with 168gr TSX at just over 3400fps. Lazer flat shooting and hard hitting combination. I would highly recomend it to anyone.

I have been looking at a 300 Wby also. I have had a 300 RUM and wish I had never parted with it. one of the best shooting guns I have ever owned.

+1 With POP... if ya want it, go get it... ?? :grin:

I like my .300RUM... was purchased for basically one area that I hunt to help with the wind situations. When I don't hunt there, my .280 is large enough for everything else...it's the only .30 cal I own.

Area-61-2007002.jpg

Another vote here for the 300 RUM. With the addition of a good LR scope, you will be set.

JD338

The old 30-06 is more than enough for deer and a lot more. With today's modern bullets and loadings it has been assured another hundred years of life. Take a look at one of the Fed HE loads in 180gr...the old '06 is shooting the fps as the .300 Winnie

The .300 Winnie is a fine cartridge that will get it done just a wee bit better than the '06. It is very popular and widely available in all makes and models.

The .300 Roy is also a great cartridge and if you are shooting WBY factory ammo you can believe the published ballistics!!! If you look at ammo prices you will see that WBY ammo once priced much higher in the past is now average in price. I love the .300 WBY!!!

The .300 RUM? It most likely will be the strongest survivor in the RUM line and that's a plus for the future. With the .300 RUM you have near 30-378 WBY performance at WAY less cost. There is much to like about this big-thutty...a nice straight fat body, good shoulder angle, no silly belt, and a big overbore case that will hold lots of powder. Wit the Rum all having a slightly rebated rim, I would exclude them from any type of DG hunting.

I have a Rem Sendero II in .300 RUM that I am very fond of. and it will accurately lob a 200 gr AccuBond WAY out there with authority! This rife and load has produced half-inch groups at 300 yds.

The Rem 700 is a great rifle overall...but that !@#$%^&* sissified extractor and safety are 2 reasons you can never take a single 700 on an extended hunting trip. Always have another rifle ready to go for back-up!

Buy the rifle that you like...the one that speaks to you.....that call out to you! They will ALL get the job done if you do your part!

TBASTIAN":3vveg3co said:
-TODD

I have always wandered why the 300Rum is constantly compared to the 300Wby and not the 30-378. I understand that price is a consideration in this thread but it seems to always be about the 300Rum versus 300Wby in most comparisons. Not trying to saying anything other than I find that interesting. Me I like the 300Wby over the 300Rum but those reason are personal and for another day and more than likely would only interest me.

heres my 2 cents. It seems everyone has overlooked the different power levels for the 300 RUM. The 1st level is just like a 30-06, the 2nd is like a 300 Win mag. The third would be the 300 remington ultra mag. Just like having 3 rifles in one. Brass is cheaper and easier to find.

heres the ballastics to look at again.

I agree, they are pretty much the same. Once again though, you have the flexability of reloading to what ever power you want. Maby that dosnt matter to you though. I like my 300 rum, shoots really nice. PLUS.......you can pick up a NIB 300 RUMMY for around $600.

bullet,

The differences in the 300 RUM and the 30-378 are the cost which is about $600 to $1000 more, The weight which is 7.5 lbs versus 9.5 lbs with the 28" braked barrel and the brass which runs about $60 for 20 cases from Norma and $51 on sale for Weatherby brass. I believe Norma makes both but there is a difference in the two capacities and resultant pressures.
The 30-378 is also chambered in a couple of other rifles but they looked ugly to me.
If I had a 300 Wby with a 26" stainless barrel I wouldn't worry about changing. In fact I've considered sellling the 30-378 and buying the 300RUM xcr because of weight and balance and because I like to hunt with a familiar rifle.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back