300 Ultra range day

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
Eveyone else talking about their range days got me motivated to load some roands and got to. Loaded up some 200 grain Accubonds sent to me with Retumbo. This is my first time using this powder. Used Nosler cases and opted for CCI250 instead of Federal GM215M's (my supply is low) and I'm tired of not seeing them for sale or if I do waaaay to much money.

So I started with some dry fire practice and the fireing pin did not sound like it was hitting very hard but thought it was me because it has been a few months since I shot it. Loaded it up and pulled the trigger and nothing. Tried this twice and figured somethind was not right. Had to dig around under seats in my car and luckily found a dime so I could take the bolt apart. I found a tiny peice of flattened brass that was blacked on one side and rounded on the other. Really strange, not even sure of what it was. Well that fixed the problem and took my time to shoot 5 different loads working up to 95 grains. Started with 91 which I had two almost touching the first shot was 3 inches lower (first fowler shot). 93 and 95 grains looked promising too.
IMG_0532.jpg

I guess I need to start seating 95 grains in a little at time and see if the group improves. I also shot my Savage 7RM yesterday with 160 accubonds with RL22. I was surprised to see that my velocities were quicker than when I worked this load up and it was colder outside (36 degrees). Only thing I can figure was my barrel is starting to smooth out finally. Shot a decent 3 round group. This picture is rotated a bit, sorry.
IMG_0533.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Corey

I forgot to add that the 300 RUM was keeping right up with the book on velocities. 91 grains gave me an average of 3031 fps and 95 grains gave an average of 3176 fps. I'm plenty happy with that.

Corey

That 95gr load looks like it could be the one. Same as what I use and it works great. Good luck!

Looks like a keeper to me, now you can shoot for fun. If shooting a 300 UM can be classified as "fun". I know that from first hand experience that carrying Brians is not fun!!! Kind of like carrying a boat anchor.

Elkman":12byvrir said:
Looks like a keeper to me, now you can shoot for fun. If shooting a 300 UM can be classified as "fun". I know that from first hand experience that carrying Brians is not fun!!! Kind of like carrying a boat anchor.

It's not that heavy :lol:

I know that from first hand experience that carrying Brians is not fun!!! Kind of like carrying a boat anchor.

It's all right, Bill. One day Brian will grow wiser and learn that boat anchors are not necessary to anchor an animal. :lol:

DrMike":lpbpvq9y said:
I know that from first hand experience that carrying Brians is not fun!!! Kind of like carrying a boat anchor.

It's all right, Bill. One day Brian will grow wiser and learn that boat anchors are not necessary to anchor an animal. :lol:

Not in our lifetimes!!! :shock:

Corey,

That top load for your 300 RUM looks pretty good. I should think that adjusting OAL would likely tighten it somewhat. The 7 RM is giving you great accuracy.

DrMike":1iadvlho said:

I have and it's on order right now!

Now I have two loads for this rifle, 180 AB and the 200 AB. Not sure which one to use now? I guess thats not a bad thing. :lol:

Corey

C.Smith":3uylh100 said:
Thanks Mike. How much at a time should I adjust it?

Corey

Corey, an easy reference for me is a quarter turn on the seating stem. Roughly between .005 and .010

Roughly between .005 and .010

+1

Consequently, what were your standard deviations with those loads? If they were good and tight (one percent or less), you will for sure want to tweak OAL. If the SD is greater than that, you may want to tweak the charge to get it as tight as possible.

The 95 grain was ES of 14 and SD of 6 if memory serves me right. Will look when I get home.

Corey

That would be an excellent SD. Such numbers justify playing with seating depth as SD won't change dramatically with the difference in seating depth.

Richracer1":1azxutxt said:
FWIW, I found a COL of 3.635 the best for my rifle. I measure from the tip to the base.

Interesting, I'am at 3.670 right now. I will have to go gets some more bullets and work on it.

Corey

My actuall numbers on the 91 grains is ES 11.38 and SD 06.08 and on the 95 grain load is
ES 14.17 and SD 07.00. Now these are just my frist couple test loads need to load more and check might as well change the OAL though and see if they tighten up.

Corey

Back