300 win mag - 220 grn Partitions

NWBlacktail

Handloader
Dec 17, 2011
Made it to the range with the Ruger M77, 300 winnie.

66.5 grns IMR 4350
220 grn Nosler Partitions
WLRM primers
WW cases

1st group, 100 yards
IMG_0234.JPG

2nd
IMG_0229.JPG

3rd
IMG_0237.JPG

Velocities were a bit more then I thought at right around 2710 fps. It was about 85F out today, so probably around hunting season when temps around 30 or 40, I'll loose 50 or so fps just because of the powder temp sensitivity.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the groups. Not that this is a long range load, but it's always nice to see the old Ruger shooting well.

Very nice. Nothin like a 300 Winnie with heavy bullets. I don,t think Oregon has brown bear or grizzly but a big bull elk would be in big trouble. Under moa too.

Three groups under an inch, looks like load development is complete. My buddy used RL 25 to get the same speed you are and shot several grizzlies and a mountain goat with them. That bullet is a real thumper, had a great load at the same speed in the old 308 Norma.

Very impressive riflery. I believe that will do quite nicely. A real thumper in that load. (y)

Very nice! That's pretty good when you think about it. Just about what a 30-06 moves a 180 at with 40 grains more bullet weight. Not too shabby.

Nice work. That level of accuracy would cover anything you would hunt with a 220 gr PT.

JD338

hubcap":2ccw1kgl said:
Very nice. Nothin like a 300 Winnie with heavy bullets. I don,t think Oregon has brown bear or grizzly but a big bull elk would be in big trouble. Under moa too.

Yeah, 220 is probably overkill for Oregon. My standard is 200 grn Partitions, with H4831sc (also shoots very nicely). But I found someone selling them for a decent price, so I bought 100 bullets off him. I'm going to use them this year for elk, then probably go back to the 200's.

Fun to experiment though! :mrgreen:

Yeah, those 220's are impressive. I've never hunted with them. Have only shot a few at the range.

Shot well, from my .30-06, and it's pretty impressive, all that weight in a .30 cal bullet...

Guy

It will definitely deliver a mighty blow to whatever game is shot with that bullet. (y)

Run one through some water jugs and post your results.
I'm guessing 7-8 jugs worth of penetration.

JD338

I did some more chronograph work yesterday. With a bit of math, I was showing 2750.4 fps with a standard deviation of 25. This is with 66.5 grains of IMR 4350, WRLM primers, 220 grn PT.

I really can't believe I'm getting that much speed with IMR 4350, I thought it'd take a much slower powder to move those heavy bullets.

and I still need to do the milk jug test. :mrgreen:

In 2012 I ran the 220's into the water jugs, but at considerably less velocity from my old .30-06, and the results were impressive:

Link: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19074

The bullet was recovered from the 7th jug, and was down to 137 grains, expanded to .477" dia.

I'd love to hunt something worthy with those bullets... Moose, elk, bear...

Guy

Those are great groups and deserve to be used for elk. I'm thinking about the same bullet in my 300 rum for elk IF I hunt where I am currently planning on doing so.

Back