300 win mag sight in problems? (Range Report with pics)

elkeater2 wrote:
Somebody needs to start a thread on "Bench tips and tricks for load development, best groups, hunting rifles, and economy!" Maybe I will....

I could start by filling up a couple of pages on how "not" to load for an STW !!!! I am making progress but slowly. Have "two" loads now that are under a inch at 100. One of them has done it twice in a row, (three shots) the other once. Will see still have a couple of more variables to work through !

Mountain goat that is very possible. Should I run one patch down to get the debris but not clean it well well? Or leave as is until accuracy suffers?

I am anal cause i let a 243 get away from me a while back and i never thought i was going to get it clean. So much copper fouling in that barrel.

bulldog4949":3j0jxytx said:
Mountain goat that is very possible. Should I run one patch down to get the debris but not clean it well well? Or leave as is until accuracy suffers?

I am anal cause i let a 243 get away from me a while back and i never thought i was going to get it clean. So much copper fouling in that barrel.

Don't sweat the copper fouling too much. I would continue to clean it often till you get at least 50 rounds or so down the tube. I clean mine very heavily after each range session and it seems to get smoother all the time. With some good Montana Extreme, Sweets, or Bore Tech Elim I wouldn't fear cleaning. It shouldn't take too much extra work and those products will get the copper out. Scotty

Scotty, i have some sweets as that is what i used on that 243. So you are saying go ahead and clean it good now for copper(22 shots since last thorough cleaning) or just some hoppes with a wet patch then dry?

The only wat to know if copper is the culprit is to let the barrel copper foul enough to see if accuracy gets worse. Once you have that established, then you know that it won't shoot well clean or really fouled, so you copper clean it until the patches are still blue, just not bright blue. Same for powder fouling, just enough to knock the black off the patches, but still show some gray color. Shoot a few groups and see what you have.

bulldog4949":2wt3p5vq said:

I looked at a used Rem 700 VSS in 204 Ruger sitting muzzle up in a floor gun rack at a local gun shop a few weeks ago. The bore looked like the inside of a copper tube - no lands visible. That might be why it was for sale... :?

BeeTee":35iwljko said:
bulldog4949":35iwljko said:

I looked at a used Rem 700 VSS in 204 Ruger sitting muzzle up in a floor gun rack at a local gun shop a few weeks ago. The bore looked like the inside of a copper tube - no lands visible. That might be why it was for sale... :?

Fouling or excessive use? Either way, I might not have been able to walk away from the challenge... assuming a decent price, of course.

bulldog4949":2g8vv7s6 said:
Scotty, i have some sweets as that is what i used on that 243. So you are saying go ahead and clean it good now for copper(22 shots since last thorough cleaning) or just some hoppes with a wet patch then dry?

I like to shoot from a clean bore. It is just my nuttiness though. I know plenty of folks that shoot until accuracy falls off. Haven't ever seen a barrel that was harmed by cleaning. Even our HK's from work and numerous other guns get cleaned after every range session. Just the way I was brought up. I like to have a few foulers through the bore to start, but that is about it. Scotty

i like a clean bore too, but I think I maybe getting all copper/carbon out of it then it is like starting over. Since it was brand new (40 rounds ago) I may just swab once and get the powder residue out and continue to shoot. Will just have to play with it. Thanks guys.

I definitely work from a clean bore. I can't say that in my experience I've ever observed copper serving as an aide or adjunct to accuracy.

DrMike":2m2vscdr said:
I definitely work from a clean bore. I can't say that in my experience I've ever observed copper serving as an aide or adjunct to accuracy.

I do not own one factory rifle that shoots better from a really clean bore. Most take at least 10-12 rounds of fouling built up to show consistent accuracy. The first 3 out of a clean bore are never the best groups for any rifle I own.

Back