300 Win Mag update

Skeeter22

Beginner
Mar 24, 2016
Well, I have been playing with the 300 Win Mag. My goal was to find a very lethal bullet in the 165 grain range to use on Whitetails. I like frangible bullets, and if I lose a pound or two of meat instead of blood trailing it through the skeeters and briars, then fine by me. Anyway, Nosler BT's shot like crap with many different powders, primers, and seating depths. 165 Accubonds did pretty well, but not good enough to really impress me. After researching, I decided to pick up a box of the Berger Classic Hunters in 168 grain. 70 grains if IMR4350 with that bullet absolutely drives tacks....finally. 5 shots were .75, and three of them almost went through the same hole. I suspect, I might have even got a tighter group if I slowed down even more for more time for the barrel to cool more. Still, the Berger Classic Hunters turned out to shoot very well out of the rifle. I have some 165 grain Sierra SBT's and HPBT's I might test this weekend as well in the 300 and the 308. So, I thought some of you might want to know about the Berger Classic Hunter experience I have had lately.

It sounds like you are well on your way. I will have to look up that bullet, I was unaware of a Berger Bullet with that name. Glad you found a great load.

might want to give IMR-7828 a try. I use the 165gr Sierra BTHP in a number of 300Mags and 30/06s. Absolutely deadly on deer and hogs. Rick.

Sounds like you found a hammer load for WT deer.

JD338

In the 300 Win Mag the IMR 4350 with 180gr bullets is excellent. Today reloading manuals under load the 300 Win Mag to its full potential. H4831 with 200gr bullets is also excellent.

The Sierra Gameking 165gr BTHP is a tougher bullet than the spritzer 165gr BTSP and might be better suited for 300 WIN Velocities.

I had great results on 4 Hill Country whitetail with the plain ol, Blue Box Federals that used the 150 pro Hunter. I thought it would be like a "bomb", but they acted just like Partitions! They even "syphoned" parts of their lungs out the golf ball sized exit holes. I didn't shoot over 75yds, some were much closer. I used the barnes 180 XBT in Africa and it too was a quick killer, again, very little bloodshot. The biggest mess on game was the 180 BT from the mid 90's, they have toughened them up now, but then they were really soft. An antelope doe and a nice muley were just riddled and bloodshot, its why I went to the Barnes XBT then. perfection ( along with that 150 Sierra Pro hunter) I expect the 150 Partition would do well for you also. Good luck, and don't apologize to anyone in camp, coffee shop or the game processor for using your 300 Mag on deer! :)

Back