300 win mag vs. 30-06

laker

Beginner
Jun 25, 2006
both rifles weigh the same, both are equally as accurate, and the shooter can shoot either one just as good. Is there any real world difference between a 300 win mag and a 30-06 for elk out to 450 yards

Yes, go with the Mag. The 06 will kill them at that range but the mag will give you an edge for less than perfect broad side shots.Rick.

either will do just fine, even out to 450+ yards. I would choose the 300 Win mag knowing that longer shots would be taken. It's tough to beat a 200 grn Partition/AccuBond leaving the muzzle at over 2900fps. Thats what the '06 does with 165's on a good day. To me, the real advantage of the magnums is to deliver heavier goods, not to shoot lighter goods faster.

With some of the monometal bullets like the TSX or E-Tip, one can take advantage of high weight retention and shoot a 165 or 180 grain bullet and get comparable results. Both camps will kill elk with proper shot placement.

I do prefer a minimum .30 caliber for a dedicated elk rifle. .338-.35 calibers are even better.

I doubt there is anyone that would criticize you out of camp for hunting elk with a 30-06. It's pure plain vanilla that gets the job done.

300 Win Mag hands down over the 30-06. It will shoot heavier bullets faster with more energy than the 30-06 can.
As mentioned, consider the 200 gr AB or PT offerings. They will turn your 300 Win Mag into a long range hammer for elk.

JD338

You have your answer. The 300 WM will do all you want and more.

300 RUM/ 200 AccuBond. Oops thats not the question. I personally use 7mm Mag for elk and leave the 06 in the truck for a back up. If I get anything bigger for further it will be a 338/300 RUM (edge) or 338 RUM second choice with a 250 or heavier bullet. I helped find a cow elk killed by a 13 year old kid with one last season at 1240 lasered yards with a 300 mathking bullet. Shot near dark, found at 10 am the next morning, lots of spotters and lookers on that hill side). Our vehicles looked ant size.

Go with the 300 mag if its just as accurate and you shoot it just as good, theres no reason not to IMO. Elk are big tough animals and they can take quite a bit and keep on going into some rougher or thicker stuff. Hit them with some power and take out the shoulders and they usually dont go anywhere but straight down.

Of course the 06 will "work" at 450, but why take the chance when the 300 will stomp them at 450+??

300 WM for sure. It will work a little better in the less than ideal situation, and can always be loaded down if need be.

Oh yeah I almost for got the main reason... it has the word magnum in the name. I love that word!

Of course this is an opinion. Out to 300yds ish .... No animal will know the difference. Beyond, the added velocity and bullet wt will always prevail.

blacktailhunter":3d875zmg said:
either will do just fine, even out to 450+ yards. I would choose the 300 Win mag knowing that longer shots would be taken. It's tough to beat a 200 grn Partition/AccuBond leaving the muzzle at over 2900fps. Thats what the '06 does with 165's on a good day. To me, the real advantage of the magnums is to deliver heavier goods, not to shoot lighter goods faster.

With some of the monometal bullets like the TSX or E-Tip, one can take advantage of high weight retention and shoot a 165 or 180 grain bullet and get comparable results. Both camps will kill elk with proper shot placement.

I do prefer a minimum .30 caliber for a dedicated elk rifle. .338-.35 calibers are even better.

I doubt there is anyone that would criticize you out of camp for hunting elk with a 30-06. It's pure plain vanilla that gets the job done.

Ditto
I have an 06' an 06AI & a 300WM & I would go with the 300WM every time.

For versatility, '06 has no equal! But I will vote along party line here for the 300 Win Mag. I used to hunt deer with my 280 Remington and I never felt undergunned until my friend acquired the first 300 Win Mag Remington 700 Sendero that came down the pike, and start dropping deers at the 600 yard mark with impunity. So the rest of us all run down to the store and got ours. I ended up with Model 70 Laredo LRH. The 300 became my primary hunting rifle! even to this day, and always the first rifle I grabbed comes opening day.

There are two components to killing an animal:
One is hemmorage (making a big hole that ruptures veins, arteries and capilaries).
The other one is shock to the nervous system.
The perfect bullet does both. At about 3000 FPS. or an equivilent FPE, the shock factor takes effect. It shuts down the nervous system for a brief time. If used in conjunction with a bullet that hemmorages, the animal will die before it recoveres from the shock. Based on that the 300 W.M. will be the best choice. Both calibers are capable of taking any game on this continent with the right bullet and a good hit.

Greg Nolan":2538y0p2 said:
There are two components to killing an animal:
One is hemmorage (making a big hole that ruptures veins, arteries and capilaries).
The other one is shock to the nervous system.
The perfect bullet does both. At about 3000 FPS. or an equivilent FPE, the shock factor takes effect. It shuts down the nervous system for a brief time. If used in conjunction with a bullet that hemmorages, the animal will die before it recoveres from the shock. Based on that the 300 W.M. will be the best choice. Both calibers are capable of taking any game on this continent with the right bullet and a good hit.
Well put

Well, now that we have compared a sports car to a sedan and a rabbit to a turtle, I bet you I will kill that elk just as dead at 450yds with my 30-06 as anyone here can with a 300Win mag. My shot placement alone (as JD338 so often supports) will drop that elk not to mention my flat trajectory using a 165gr AccuBond at 3025fps or a 180gr Partition or AccuBond at 2810fps. Is the 300 faster? yes!!! hit harder? yes!!! Kill the elk any faster? Depends!!!!! Is the 06 the best choice? NO!!!!! Will the elk be dead? Yes!!!! So I choose to reduce the recoil and use the 30-06. Now if we are talking any further out then I will use my 300Wby.

Back