300 Winchester Magnum - 180 grain Accubonds

PALongbow

Beginner
Jul 22, 2009
Need some help guys. I'm shooting a 300 Win Mag with 180 grain Accubonds in a Remington 700 CDL. I'm trying to figure out a a good COL for this gun and bullet combination. I know there is alot of freebore with this rifle. Any ideas on a good COL?

Thanks,
Ron

I'd say go with what will fit and function in your magazine to start, then work seating depths from there.

PALongbow

Welcome to the forum, happy to have you here.
Richrcer1 is spot on, load to fit and function in your rifles magazine.
What is your load?

JD338

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm using 73 grains of RL22 with the 180 grain AccuBond bullet. CCI Large Magnum primers. For some reason or another this rifle likes 73 grains of RL22.

Ron

If you want to play, try 75.0 grs RL 22. This load has shot well under MOA in 3 different rifles. There is also quite a few fellas here that have experienced the same level of accuracy.

JD338

Yeah I tried 75 grains however 73 grains seems to group better. Maybe I'll do some more testing. I was getting some group spreading while testing 73-75 grains of RL22. I found out later that my scope bases were loose so I ordered the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts.

I'm trying to figure out a a good COL for this gun and bullet combination. I know there is alot of freebore with this rifle. Any ideas on a good COL?

PALongbow,

On the CDL, your limiting factor on the COL will be the magazine depth. You will need to use charge variations to obtain the differential sought in accuracy. Load to the depth of the magazine, just as RR has suggested. JD and AS have already suggested charge variations. The 300 WM has a plethora of data available, and the cartridge tends to shoot very accurately, so powders and charges have already been well researched. All the CDLs I have shot tend to shoot quite well, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good load. I'll add my welcome to the forum.

Do you guys know an approximate COL that fits nicely into the Model 700 CDL magazine?

Ron

My Sako m75ss 300WM loves 180gr Accubonds-shoots 0.4-0.5" groups.
My rifle prefers 74.0gr of RL22 with Federal 215 Mag Primers. COL is 3.348

Any more powder and the groups start to spread out. My clip will allow up to 3.740 Actual allowable COAL for my rifle(touching the lands) is 3.647 for the AccuBond and 3.527 for TSX's.

I love the performance of the 180gr Accubonds at the range and on big game, I only use ACCUBONDS- traded all my TSX's for both my 300WM and 270WSM for more AB's.

I used the Hornady guage today and my OAL measurement was 3.573 in my model 700 using the 180 grain AccuBond. I want to try and seat the bullet at 3.535 if magazine feed permits. That's minus about .035.

Does this make sense?

Ron

Every gun is different. Using someone elses oal in your gun is just a crap shoot. Re the golden load of 75 of re22....it is indeed a golden load for my tikka 300 win mag. But I also had a savage 300 win mag that had a preference for milder loads down near about 2900 fps. What I noticed with that gun is almost any slow powder that generated about 2900-2925 shot good. I've had other guns that haven't proven the idea of like speed== like accuracy. Every gun is a challenge unto itself.

kraky":2gsgpjf6 said:
Re the golden load of 75 of re22....it is indeed a golden load for my tikka 300 win mag.

This load has shot very well for many, including myself. It just plain shoots lights out. :grin:

JD338

If your 300 winnie does not shoot
74-76 rl22 or
74-76 h4831 with a 180 grain
accurately you probably got a sick rifle.

Back