300 WSM Quality Issues

Stevek1145

Beginner
Nov 19, 2022
Hey all, I shoot a Tikka T3 chambered in 300 WSM. I don’t shoot it often but this year I went on an elk hunt. During the summer I practiced with an old box of Noslers. Gun was good but I was short on ammo. A friend found a box in Montana and bought it for me. Although the box is different, the ammo is the same 300 WSM AccuBond 180 gr. while hunting I had troubles push the bolt handle down to seat the bullet. In fact, I had to hit it 4-5 times hard after shooting my cow. I thought something must be wrong with the gun. When I returned home I went to my local gun shop. They said the gun is fine, but the brass neck is different on the two rounds (Old versus new ammo…I had 2 old bullets left). Has anyone else had this experience? I cannot use the remaining 19 bullets and will probably need to change ammo brands. Plus the Nosler brand is impossible to find in this caliber.

Yes, I have witnessed this in other cartridges. QC on brass could definitely be improved. This is one of the major advantages of loading my own ammunition. BTW, welcome aboard. Feel free to give us a report of your hunt. I'm certain people would enjoy reading about your adventure.

This is disappointing to hear for sure. I spent $75 for 20 rounds that don’t work. I have 19 left…luckily, the one round I fired found it’s mark and took down the cow elk at 200 yards!

What does the old box look like vs new?
What are the different neck measurements?

I will be selling my 300WSM rifles, so will have Nosler 180 AB ammo available.

Hey all, I shoot a Tikka T3 chambered in 300 WSM. I don’t shoot it often but this year I went on an elk hunt. During the summer I practiced with an old box of Noslers. Gun was good but I was short on ammo. A friend found a box in Montana and bought it for me. Although the box is different, the ammo is the same 300 WSM AccuBond 180 gr. while hunting I had troubles push the bolt handle down to seat the bullet. In fact, I had to hit it 4-5 times hard after shooting my cow. I thought something must be wrong with the gun. When I returned home I went to my local gun shop. They said the gun is fine, but the brass neck is different on the two rounds (Old versus new ammo…I had 2 old bullets left). Has anyone else had this experience? I cannot use the remaining 19 bullets and will probably need to change ammo brands. Plus the Nosler brand is impossible to find in this caliber.
Have you tried measuring the rest of the ammo in the box to see if it’s all a bit oversized?

This is disappointing to hear for sure. I spent $75 for 20 rounds that don’t work. I have 19 left…luckily, the one round I fired found it’s mark and took down the cow elk at 200 yards!
Well, I think that's how they define 'silver lining' - congratulations on the successful hunt! I concur that you would benefit from measuring it; I don't think you'd need much more than a decent set of calipers, and a copy of the SAAMI spec for that round. If you reload for it, I think you might be able to pull them down and run the primed brass through the sizing die - just don't forget to remove the decapping pin.

If you have a headspace comparator measure the trouble load and compare it to your fired brass.
I don’t reload and don’t have these tools. I went to the gun shop and they measured. But it’s a fairly obvious difference.

Last edited:
Contact Nosler - they're pretty good about replacing problem bullets/ammo.

I had some factory ammo that was really tight in the neck, allowing only .001" of bullet release. I ended up pulling the bullets, neck turning the cases and reassembling the ammo. What a PITA, but it worked.

I ran in to a similar situation only with Nosler's "Fully Prepped, Ready to Reload" virgin brass for my .270 Winchester.

Was able chamber a round but couldn't lock the bolt. The rounds I had handloaded I had to run through a Redding body die and bump the shoulder back, the other 250pcs I had to run through a full-length sizing die, before I could load them.

Due to the excessive demand for ammo and components it stands to reason that more quality control is in dire need.

I ran in to a similar situation only with Nosler's "Fully Prepped, Ready to Reload" virgin brass for my .270 Winchester.

Was able chamber a round but couldn't lock the bolt. The rounds I had handloaded I had to run through a Redding body die and bump the shoulder back, the other 250pcs I had to run through a full-length sizing die, before I could load them.
I had the same trouble with some Nosler .22-250 brass once..

Back