3006 Subsonic or Reduced loads n powder ?

Tntiny

Beginner
Feb 5, 2022
I have been playing with a 3006 Trailboss n Subsonic Bullets. Mainly Noslers 220 BT n Hornadays 190gr SubX n recently picked up some Maker's to try.

Anybody else trying Sub 06 or even reduced loads.. ? Powders besides Trail Boss?

Most have found the 220g NBT RN will not stabilize at sub-sonic speed with a twist slower than 1:8.5. However, the 190g SubX usually does. I've done work with 30-06 1:10 twist with 220g Partitions and Hornady 220g Interlock RN. Both are non-boat-tail. 14.2g of TB works well with the heavy NPT in a 21 inch bbl.

Hodgdon has load data for h4895 powder. If you start at 60 percent of maximum, you can work up to velocity and accuracy you are looking for. But formula only works with h4895! There's a decent amount of bullets to choose from

I haven't started yet but I'm looking to try some sub loads as soon as I get my hands on H4895. Haven't had any luck finding it

Just FYI-
When working "up" subsonic loads, you actually need to work DOWN as far as powder amount goes. You nor your firearm is happy with a bullet stuck in the bore

I load slower speed cast bullets for the 30-06 but have never tried going sub sonic. Powders I like re SR4759 now sadly discontinued again and AA5744 which works quite well. for my purpose.
Paul B.

I haven’t done any reduced loads for the 06 , but in other calibers I’ve used Trailboss and Blue Dot. Trailboss in cast loads and Blue Dot in jacketed loads is what I do.

Thanks for info..
I have 4759 around but havent went digging for loads .
Used it in a ML2 that well dang thieves..

I haven’t done any reduced loads for the 06 , but in other calibers I’ve used Trailboss and Blue Dot. Trailboss in cast loads and Blue Dot in jacketed loads is what I do.
Blue Dot Any charges you care to share.

I've done a little of this , but I've used light bullets .
in a 30.06 I did reduced loads with SR4759 . I had problems . the ammo was position sensitive . if I lowered the bbl to the target , no problem . if I raised the bbl to the target I got a hang fire . I tried to use dakron as a filler , it helped but didn't fix the problem . hang fires scare me , due to detonation over pressure . I recommend doing this powder position test on any reduced loads .

I've used 125 gr ballistic tips with IMR 4198 in a 308 . this worked out well , no problems at all . it was quite accurate too .

lately I just stick to H4895 and use the 60% of max load rule . I've had no problems , they've been accurate . the low velocity and recoil make this an excellent choice for new , or timid, shooters .

this is the only heavy bullet info I have .

P2070255.JPG

My only experience with what I'd consider a really reduced load in 30-06 is with IMR 4227 and the 130 grain hornady spire point. It is not subsonic. Runs at 2535 and is VERY accurate in the one rifle I tested it in, a M70. Checked it numerous times and it remained an accurate load.

The only inaccuracy that it showed was when I intentionally stood the cartridge on its nose to create dead air space at the rear of the case. It then put the bullet straight up 1.5" out of the group at 100 yds. Other than that I seen no issue with positioning, but to be fair I only tried it that one time just to see what it would do.

Thanks Guys..
I hope hope to get back on this project this week.
I also hope to find some SW Buffalo Rifle before long.. What I have read on it sounds good..esp for reduced loads even if not subsonic.. All I see data wise for AA 5744 is cast bullets ..havent tried with jacketed yet because of..

Blue Dot Any charges you care to share.
The nice thing with Blue Dot it is not position sensitive. I have not used it in anything larger than the 308 Win. My Savage Striker in 7mm08 Blue Dot is my powder of choice , tames recoil on that handgun.
Google Blue Dot loads and look for a gentleman that goes by Seafire and you will find a lot of good information. I don’t recommend this for beginners.

Back