300gr AB - .338/378 Weatherby

madman

Beginner
Nov 22, 2004
Anyone have any luck with the new 300gr AccuBond in a .338/378 Weatherby?

I've tried several loads, and several powders and have yet to find consistency that I am pleased with. Of course, my chronograph is acting up, so I really don't know what velocity I have achieved yet, so that makes it even more difficult.

Right now H1000 seems to be the most promising, but load is pretty mild. The first group I shot yesterday looked pretty good, but the next group was pretty wild.

I'm also loading them pretty long (3.800), but I think I'm going to seat them a little deeper and see what the results are.

Any feedback here would be welcome.

--md

Haven't loaded for that cartridge but I've always had better accuracy with the AccuBond loaded with a bit more jump than most of my rounds get. I would pick a charge and load a few up at various seating depths and see what happens. Find where it wants to be seated and then you can work the powder until you are happy with it. Kind of backwards from what most people do but it seems to have worked for me at times. Just an idea....

I would think that the Weatherby free bore would be pretty insensitive to seating depth changes?

md,

I have only shot the 338 300 gr AB in a 338 RUM.
What powders have you tried in your 338-378 Wby?

JD338

shoots_5":duars89u said:
I would pick a charge and load a few up at various seating depths and see what happens. Find where it wants to be seated and then you can work the powder until you are happy with it.

That's kinda what I was thinking I would do next. Thanks.

--md

JD338":3gra1gx5 said:
What powders have you tried in your 338-378 Wby?

Retumbo, and H1000. Retumbo has been a great powder for me in my 30-378, but it hasn't been working too well in the 338-378.

Pressure signs are good with both powders, but the groups lack consistency.

--md

Back