300wm and RL26

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Well Scotty got talked me into trying this stuff and it didn't help matters how I've read how this powder preforms in other cartridges.
Anyway I loaded some up 180gr ABs starting at 75.0grs for around 2975fps and topped out at 80.5grs for 3268fps. .5grs increase (3339fps) showed slight ejector mark that you really had to look for it to see it and would have missed it except I knew I was getting close to max. .5grs more showed diffident ejector mark. Since I wasn't experiencing any heavy bolt lift I though why not and shoot the last one which was a .5 increase, it went 3355fps and confirmed the ejector mark but again no heavy bolt lift.
I don't know if you noticed or not but these last ones were in the 30-338 velocity range from a 300wm.
In one of the pictures you will see my barrel cooling device a wet towel. It was 81 degrees in the shade. This works quite well but I still stood the rifle up with the bolt open every third shot to help cool the lower section of the barrel that was enclosed by the stock.

If you click on the pictures they will enlarge for a better view.

Attachments

• KIMG0083.jpeg
    KIMG0083.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • KIMG0089.jpeg
    KIMG0089.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • KIMG0088.jpeg
    KIMG0088.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 1,037
  • KIMG0087.jpeg
    KIMG0087.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,037
erikc838":12jn961a said:
All of the primers are cratering

There several things besides pressure than can cause primer cratering. The primers still have a good radius, I'd worry not in the least.

This post is to inform those who haven't used this powder how it increases velocity very progressively. With every .5grs you gained 40fps except with the top 3 loads which flattened out.
The ejector marks are not indentations in the brass but just shinny marks and all the case lettering is still sharp and deep.
Would I load #3 and shoot it on a regular bases Absolutely not and will not revisit it again I have a very nice looking load at around 3150fps that will do everything I want it too and one 100fps less that will work also.
I purposely didn't reveal the powder charges so no one would try and duplicate them.
I also should mention my over all length is over 3.50" and I'm using all the capacity I can get out of the case with a drop tube and still not compress the powder charge.

truck driver":18ao47yy said:
This post is to inform those who haven't used this powder how it increases velocity very progressively. With every .5grs you gained 40fps except with the top 3 loads which flattened out.
The ejector marks are not indentations in the brass but just shinny marks and all the case lettering is still sharp and deep.
Would I load #3 and shoot it on a regular bases Absolutely not and will not revisit it again I have a very nice looking load at around 3150fps that will do everything I want it too and one 100fps less that will work also.
I purposely didn't reveal the powder charges so no one would try and duplicate them.
I also should mention my over all length is over 3.50" and I'm using all the capacity I can get out of the case with a drop tube and still not compress the powder charge.

The load sounds great to me, I'm digging it and it's not even my rifle.

Thanks for the report out Roger!

I’m thinning the herd. RL26 covers so many cartridges well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont want to come across wrong, because I like this thread and I like to find my max load in a rifle as well...but you said that you topped out at 80.5gr for 3268fps. .5 gr more would be 81gr for 3339fps. .5gr more would be 81.5gr which you didn't list a velocity for but did note a definite ejector mark and then an additional .5gr more for 3355fps with 82gr. Maybe my reading comprehension is just ON today...lol

Nope you comprehended all too well. At 81.5grs the chrony showed an error message so there was no reading. It was also the reason for shooting the 82gr load to find out just how high it would go.
As you can see there was only 15fps gain for 1gr increase in powder and it has topped out. If I wanted to take a chance which I don't it would probably show a diminish in velocity should I increase the powder charge.
P.O. Ackely did this when he was designing his cartridges and blew up quite a few good rifles doing it.
I don't plan on following in his foot steps.
Boy if were alive today he would have a ball with all these new powders that we have.

OU812":2itu11v2 said:
erikc838":2itu11v2 said:
All of the primers are cratering

There several things besides pressure than can cause primer cratering. The primers still have a good radius, I'd worry not in the least.

Well aware of that, just an observation.

Looking at the amount of RL26 you're stuffing in that case I checked the Federal loading for their 180 Grain Trophy Bonded tip and found a maximum charge to be 75.7 grains. I do realize that this particular bullet requires a few less grains but it sounds like your really pushing the limit.

That Reloader-26 is some good stuff.I tried it in my 7mags with really good results.I haven't tried it yet in my 300 Win Mags,but I was planning on starting about 2grs. higher than what I use for 180gr bullets with Reloader-22.That would put me at 79.0grs of Reloader-26 and this powder still gives the option of still increasing a little,so I guess I was spot on with my calculations going by your results.The 300 Win Mag is an amazing cartridge.

Those are impressive velocitys, truck driver and is there anything in North America you would not hunt with that load ?

Those Swiss put magic in their powders.I was able to get a little over 3200fps with 180's using Reloader-17.I think the Reloader-26 will give a little more wiggle room working up because it's a slower burning powder so you have to add more.That 40fps per 1/2 grain was exactly what I saw with the loads I tried in my 7mag.

diverdown":3pd3qbu3 said:
Looking at the amount of RL26 you're stuffing in that case I checked the Federal loading for their 180 Grain Trophy Bonded tip and found a maximum charge to be 75.7 grains. I do realize that this particular bullet requires a few less grains but it sounds like your really pushing the limit.
The Alliant data for this powder and bullet weight is 80.0grs and since that is what the manufacturer published the data I wasn't concerned plus I had a QL prediction that showed I was at 63kpsi and 64Kpsi is max. My OAL was 3.50" I also was .050" off the lands which help hold down pressure giving the ABs a little jump.
This also shows others that not all rifle chambers are the same and you can get different pressure and velocity readings from different rifles/chambers in the same caliber and same bullet.

The books and load data provided by manufactures are just a guide for us to use safely.

I did measure the web area and belt on the 2 case that the extractor mark was clearly visible and compared it with others fired the same day as the ones 60Kpsi and under ran .512"-.513" off the web and .528"-.529" on the belt the ones that showed pressure were .513"-.514" on the web and .531"-.532" on the belt.
This is with Winchester brass that has had 2 firings.

I'm hoping this has been informative for the members who have just started reloading along with the ones who are considering using RL26 powder.
If it wasn't for bolt thrust I don't believe the extractor marks would have been visible since the primers never flattened out and were still rounded. For the record I was using CCI 250 magnum primers.
This was also a 14 shot ladder velocity test and not one where I just dumped a bunch of powder in a case.
I also found 2 possible nodes well below max and trust me I don't plan on using the high end powder charges and don't recommend anyone else to either.
desertcj left the cat out of the bag when he figured out my powder charges :lol: and it wasn't my intent to publish them so someone else would try them. :|
Anyway everyone knows not to try and use them. (y)

TXbaldhunter":iwep8qof said:
Those Swiss put magic in their powders.I was able to get a little over 3200fps with 180's using Reloader-17.I think the Reloader-26 will give a little more wiggle room working up because it's a slower burning powder so you have to add more.That 40fps per 1/2 grain was exactly what I saw with the loads I tried in my 7mag.
It worked great in my 338wm also but I'm afraid to try RL26 in it since I might like it better and I already have 4lbs of RL17 to shoot in it

The progressive rate double base powders don’t peak out like a single base will like an IMR or old H870. It will keep giving speed up until the gun/brass can’t take it. It’s a fierce powder though. One of my most useful these days. Same with 17. I’m a big fan of both but when you’re seeing psi you know you’re way above max since it is such a progressive extended burn.

Great post.

SJB358":1iq6jdww said:
The progressive rate double base powders don’t peak out like a single base will like an IMR or old H870. It will keep giving speed up until the gun/brass can’t take it. It’s a fierce powder though. One of my most useful these days. Same with 17. I’m a big fan of both but when you’re seeing psi you know you’re way above max since it is such a progressive extended burn.

Great post.
Thanks Scotty I've been waiting for you to jump in on this.
I think my summation has been accurate and informative.

There was some concern early in this post about the primers cratering and after I cleaned and annealed the brass I took the 2 cases that showed the most pressure signs and decaped them to clean and measure the primer pockets I also decaped the others that the primers had cratered to get a measurement to check against virgin unfired brass.
The virgin brass measured .010". The cratered brass measured .010". The brass that showed the extractor marks were .011". Though larger they still held a primer snug in the pocket but not as tight as the .010" pockets.
When in doubt measure the primer pocket and it will tell you if there is any case stretch from a suspected over load when no other signs are visible. :)>)

Thanks Dewey I'm learning.

[a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then :)>)]

Back