308 Accubond and BT issues can't seat them long enough to

ehunter

Beginner
Mar 16, 2009
get good groups due to my mag limitations? If I seat them out closer to the lands I am getting great groups if I want to shoot a single shot? Question has any one else had this problem? I will go to partitions next I had a similar problem with my 270?

When I seat them long I can easily get 1/2 groups at 100. Shorten them and I am at 1.5 inches.

Rifle is a AW winchester.

I had this problem with my 270. I just loaded to magazine length and started tweaking the powder charge a little at a time til it started to tighten. Good luck!

Common problem. In these instances, you have to play with charge to get the precise harmonic that permits the accuracy you are looking for. Alternatively, try a different bullet. I had a situation recently where a 270 WSM did not permit loading to the lands or anywhere within the immediate proximity. We were thinking that it would require some surgery on the rifle. However, playing with the barrel time and using a bullet with a longer bearing surface, we were able to recommend a load that gives 0.25 inch groups. It still have a loooooooong jump to the lands, but it sure does shoot tight groups.

Thanks guys never really thought about tweaking the powder now usally I load that up front until I find a decent group I will do some tweaking this weekend thanks. In the worst case I can always fall back on a Partition as if that is a bad thing. :lol:

It is a little surprising that you can't load to the lands. Winchester has one of the longer magazines in the industry. I would have thought it must be a Browning or a Remington as they tend to be shorter.

hi there, I tend to shoot a lot of wby, and they are known for a lot of freebore. I would first check to see if you are seating the bullet without any runnout. If you are, then as you are checking the powders, I would bet that as you move the bullet in, the pressure grows. So, you may been to back off on the load a bit.
Good Luck,
Hardpan

Very common with short actions. Seat the bullet to work through the mag box and work with several powders. RL15 has worked well with the 150gr Ballistic Tip in several 308s I worked on in the past few years.Rick.

Varget is my favorite for 308 Win loads with 150-165gr bullets. Usually tops as far as speed and accuracy. I am not sure if you are loading for a 308 or just using 308 cal Accubonds. Scotty

My loads were 46 varget 150 AccuBond and 44 for the 165 BT. I know they would shoot if I ran them .010 to .020 off the lands I tried that. But I can't load them that long to fit the box. This is a 308.

That stinks, have you tried to seat them deeper? I know I have did a little with my 308 and the various 165's and 150's and it has helped some. Don't know, it would seem tweaking your powder charge may be the best way to get them where you want though. Scotty

I am going to shoot them tomorrow. I am worried though because I had a similar problem with my Winchester AW rifle in a 270. Same problem in that rifle although I can get on a perfect day for me less than inch at 200 with 3 or 4 shots with the partitions. I guess they can handle the jump to the lands a little better.

I am getting great accuracy with the Sierra so I am assuming I can duplicate that with the Partition or come very close. I will pick some up today and load them tonight for a test run tomorrow.

I just keep hearing about how every one is having such good luck with the AccuBond and the BT. Pluse they are cheaper to plunk with. To me the AccuBond would be a perfect bullet in the 308 for close shots out to 300 as well as the Partition if it shoots.

I am a new reloader only 2 years but have gotten great load development in all my guns with different bullets including Hornady and Sierra but I like to support Nosler they are a Oregon homie :lol:

Well I solved the BT problem I had 5 in at less than inch close to a 1/2 inch and one out to about a inch those bullets work. I may just give up on the AccuBond for now. Those are still hanging in at inch and half and scattered.

Back