.308 Winchester Ackley Improved

I do not want seem smart or a wisea-- but a legitmate question is why not just buy an 06? I am assuming it has to do with the weight or action length? Otherwise I am thinking :grin:

The .308 win case has very little sidewall taper to begin with. An Ackley conversion would not result in much additional case capacity or velocity. That's probably why you never really hear of anyone shooting 308AI.

well, it all depends on what you have now and what you want to accomplish.

If you own a 308 and want to ream the chamber to 308AI, I'd reccomend not doing it. The gains would be minimal and not worth the cost. Try some of the new powders (that hogdon stuff and maybe RL17). You could gain your 50fps quite easily that way.

If you already have a 308AI and are simply looking for load data, just use 308win data and work up to your guns max.

If you own a 308 and are wanting to re-barrel it, there are many many options for you! 257robAI, 260 rem, 243winAI, 22-250AI, and on and on......... If you want to keep it a 308 bore, then I'd stick with the 308win.

If you haven't bought a gun yet, then a 300wsm would be the best bet for a short action and a 30-06 would be a good option for a long action. It just all depends on what you are staring with and where you want to take it. :grin:

Funny, I had typed out the initial query with the necessary explanation to avoid some of these responses and the computer dumped it so I just put this shortened version in - I have a Kimber Montana and since I have shot other AI's with great results and satisfaction I was just wondering - I checked the case dimensions and can see what is meant by not much to be gained - (if I wanted to "go back" to an 'o6 I would have ...) I shot a .270/08 AI for a long time and it was deadly - I've kiled alot of PD's with a 223 AI & 243 AI with absolutely outstanding results ...

Thank you for the comments, it helped

Nomad - So! You have one .... Have you done any load development with 150 or 165 grain bullets ? What can you get from a 180 ? Thank you ! George

Back