310 Woodleigh weldcore - 35 Whelen est 2380fps

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I shot a 310 grain woodleigh weldcore into the jugs today out of my 35 whelen.
Quickload estimated it at 2380 fps. Shot at roughly 20 yards.
do you think this bullet tumbled?

I found it in jug # 7. It weighed 297.4 grains. Retained weight = 96%

DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0788.JPG

DSC_0809.JPG

DSC_0792.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0807.JPG

DSC_0801.JPG

Dano

That is a lot of mass pushing through the jugs. Great weight retention and extreme expansion. I just looked on my shelf; I don't have any 310 grain Weldcores, but I do have 275 grain Weldcores. Your work is about to motivate me to load some of these up in my Whelen.

That will be a real thumper for really big stuff. It does look like it tumbled somewhere in it path.

Awesome recovery Dano. I'd really like to try some of the 275 Woodleighs sometime. I think Gerry has tried them in the past.

7 jugs is serious penetration in my opinion. Those 310's are beautiful in my opinion. Betting they stabilized fine in the 1-16, but probably just got wonky towards the end cause that ginormous frontal area...

Too cool. Been looking forward to this test for awhile.

truck driver":3iyjq4ap said:
What was the rate of twist of the rifle barrel this was fired threw?

Factory 1:16 twist.. I was not implying that it tumbled in flight, but with the one side compressed tight and the opposite side pulled away from the base, I was thinking it may have tumbled in the jugs??? I have caught a TTSX that was stuck IN the back side of a jug, backwards before. So I know that it can happen. I have also pulled a TTSX out of the hide of a hog with the base penetrating out of the hide and the petals still inside.

Yup, the only AccuBond I recovered from game, was a 260 grainer from my .375. Found it poking out of the bear's hide, backwards. The mushroom was holding it in the bear. This seems to be a fairly common way of finding bullets, from what others have told me.

Guy

Nice work.
7 jugs of penetration will cover anything you would hunt in NA, including the great bears.

JD338

Back