225 Accubond 35 Whelen

Tommer23

Beginner
Feb 1, 2017
225 gr AccuBond from my 35 Whelen. 2600 fps muzzle velocity. Water jugs at 100 yards. Disintegrated the first jug. I could almost feel the thump when it hit. Retained weight 192.5 gr.

How many jugs did it penetrate total? That looks like awesome performance.

Awesome. I'm working with the 225 AB for my Newton again. It's a GREAT bullet.

Awesome recovery. What's the expanded diameter? Looks good.

It does look to be great performance, as expected of that particular bullet. As 5shot asked, how many jugs did the bullet penetrate?

DrMike":24ppe4vx said:
It does look to be great performance, as expected of that particular bullet. As 5shot asked, how many jugs did the bullet penetrate?

I'm betting on 6.... :lol:

SJB358":1fmul3dt said:
DrMike":1fmul3dt said:

I'm betting on 6.... :lol:

It's a 6 jugger bullet Scott.

JD338

Expanded diameter was .71". I went through a lot of gallon jugs to catch one of these, not because of over penetration but because the bullet would go out the sides. I'm assuming that once the bullet went through the first jug or two, the large frontal diameter caused it to go astray. Much like dropping a quarter in a bucket of water. When I did catch one it was in the fifth jug. It had poked a hole in the back but did not do anything to the sixth jug.

I was a little concerned that I was only able to get 2600 fps muzzle velocity after seeing published velocities in load manuals and reading what most everyone else is able to achieve. However, after hearing the thump when it hit the jugs, seeing the explosion, and then the nice mushroom, I'm thinking 2600 fps is fast enough.

Tommer23":1axzdtfv said:
Expanded diameter was .71". I went through a lot of gallon jugs to catch one of these, not because of over penetration but because the bullet would go out the sides. I'm assuming that once the bullet went through the first jug or two, the large frontal diameter caused it to go astray. Much like dropping a quarter in a bucket of water. When I did catch one it was in the fifth jug. It had poked a hole in the back but did not do anything to the sixth jug.

I was a little concerned that I was only able to get 2600 fps muzzle velocity after seeing published velocities in load manuals and reading what most everyone else is able to achieve. However, after hearing the thump when it hit the jugs, seeing the explosion, and then the nice mushroom, I'm thinking 2600 fps is fast enough.

I'm thinking you are right. I've ran that bullet 2700 in my Whelen and over 2900 in my 35 Newton. Awesome bullet. If I can get enough of them I plan on using it this year as well for elk.

.71 is pretty danged good as well. Especially since it's a pretty sleek bullet as .358's go...

NICE!

Great performance. I do like the look of recovered Accubonds. Usually retain quite a bit of the bullet shank, and so nicely mushroomed...

Plus, when ya recover one from an animal, there's a pretty good chance the animal was quite dead...

(y)

Guy Miner":2r0mks7u said:
NICE!

Great performance. I do like the look of recovered Accubonds. Usually retain quite a bit of the bullet shank, and so nicely mushroomed...

Plus, when ya recover one from an animal, there's a pretty good chance the animal was quite dead...

(y)

That's a fact! The Accubonds are pretty danged good. They seem to have evolved into an excellent Bullet.

Great bullet for the Whelen. I recovered one in jug #6 a few years back and was
really impressed with what RL 15 can do in the 35 Whelen.

JD338

Nicely done! My buddy runs the 225 in his Whelen, I've only ever shot 250 Hot Cores and Partitions in mine. They shoot so well I've never had a desire to try anything else, but if I was inclined to the AccuBond would be on my short list.

Tommer23":2dpckiqu said:

You must have a 22" barrel on your rifle. That was one reason I sold a very good M700 35 Whelen since I couldn't get the velocity out of it everyone else was claiming.

Ever notice how many rifles are sold for a lack of velocity with a particular bullet in a given cartridges?

I wonder how many were tested on game performance before being sold?

I hear a lot of people were pleased with their cartridge performance in years gone by, but were disheartened when they learned later of the actual velocity of their favourite load through the chronograph. Makes me wonder if the game harvested up to that point would have been any less impressed by the lack of expected velocity?

In this case, I think of all the animals harvested with the 35 Remington and 358 Winchester over the years as an example.

Blkram":i4y6sut8 said:
Ever notice how many rifles are sold for a lack of velocity with a particular bullet in a given cartridges?

I wonder how many were tested on game performance before being sold?

I hear a lot of people were pleased with their cartridge performance in years gone by, but were disheartened when they learned later of the actual velocity of their favourite load through the chronograph. Makes me wonder if the game harvested up to that point would have been any less impressed by the lack of expected velocity?

In this case, I think of all the animals harvested with the 35 Remington and 358 Winchester over the years as an example.
In my case it wasn't just one particular bullet or bullet weight but all weights and styles were slower than I thought they should be and didn't have confidence it would kill clean at extended ranges.

Yes, I have a 22 inch barrel. Like I said, I was a little disappointed with the velocity at first, but I am also one of the first to argue that velocity isn't everything. The thump that I could hear when the bullet hit the jugs at 100 yards with ear plugs in my ears and ear muffs on was enough to all but ignore what the chronograph said. I have shot water jugs with many other calibers and I have never experienced what I did when that 225gr. bullet hit the jugs. There were pieces of plastic 20+ feet from where the jugs were. And to think what that bullet will do to the chest cavity of an animal. I don't think 100-150fps more will kill it any more dead. 2600fps will work for me.

Roger,

Did not mean any disrespect towards you or your decision...we all do things for our own reasons and do not need to justify to others. We all have our own opinions, and they are just that, opinions. I won't judge others for theirs. Expectations are of the same class of unique subjectivity.

Just raised a curiosity in what I have heard or read in the past, and voiced it...was wondering what others thought?

Tommer,

Amazing to witness (see and hear) what these larger caliber bullets do when they impact on a target.

I experienced a similar experience when eased to shoot at a large rock in the riverbank about 120 yards or so downstream one time, with my 7 Rem Mag and 165 gr bullet, and then hit it again with a friend's 338 Win Mag and a 200 gr bullet. It was an eye opening experience for me in 97. The performance on game such as elk, moose, bison and grizzly bear the next fall with my own 338 Win Mag as impressive compared to previous experience on the same game with a 7mm (which is still one of my favourites).

Owning a 7MM STW and a 270 Wby, I have experienced first hand what velocity can do performance-wise on game in the field. Owning (or having owned) larger cartridges (338 Federal, 338-06 and 338 Win Mag) of varying performance levels, I have also have experienced performance on game with these same cartridges. More powder equals similar performance at an extended range. Less than expected velocity will just shorten the distance at which I will set my distance to. Others will determine their own.

My pet load pushes the 225 AB a touch over 2700 with RL15. I would have been just as happy with 2600-2650-2675, etc... Once you get much past 300 yards I need something to either turn or paste a reticle on.

I use RL15 to get 2600 from the 250 Partition as well, and I think JD gets 2575 from his Classic with RL15. Honestly it is 6 and one half dozen. Both of them are really pretty awesome BG killers. They will hold their own at distance as well.

Don't ask about that 4th shot... Someone else must've shot while I wasn't looking :evil:

It'll do three on point though...

It is a fairly light rifle too...

I did change up the mounts and scope a little while back.. I like this more..

I tested a 250 grain AB in .366 caliber which is just a hair more S.D. At 2748 fps and about 25' it went 6 jugs. Expanded to .748 which is just over 2x and weighed 173 grains or retained 69.56 %

Pretty pleased with them and those big AB's do behave very well when smashing through stuff. 6 jugs is pretty good for a 2.67 S.D. bullet and should behave almost identical to the .358 225 A.B.

Back