325 WSM 200 Hot-Core

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I have a savage 16 325 WSM that I've had for about 10 years and never loaded for. Probably 2 years ago I got the stuff to load for it, but never got around to until now. I cave a bunch of 200gr Hot-Cores, but I've about used up my supply of reloder 17 in our 7-08's. Given how hard powder is to get right now, I'm wondering if there's a powder that one you guys have found success with that I might be able to get my hands on. I've traded/sold most of my magnums, so the only powder I have on hand in sufficient quantity for load development and to load up a supply of finished rounds that MAY be suitable is IMR 7977, 4831 and about 1.5 pounds of RL-26. So if anyone knows of something that'll work and I can get my hands on, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
When I was loading for my 325 WSM with 200 grain pills, I used with good success RL19, Big Game, IMR4350, H4350 and H100V. My two favourite powders were RL19 and H4350.

The IMR4831 you have will work well. It’s pretty easy to find a load that groups well. It also has a lower flame temp than the Enduron or RL26. Not quite as much throat erosion.

I have used RL17 and Hunter in mine with 180 Ballistic Tips and Accubonds.
Undoubtedly those powders would work well since they have an appropriate burn rate. Didn't have ready access to them in the period I was working with the cartridge.

Undoubtedly those powders would work well since they have an appropriate burn rate. Didn't have ready access to them in the period I was working with the cartridge.
My 325 has been just like you said, eager to please. It hammers with the 180 BTs and 200 ABs. Might need to get serious with it and use it some!

Back