325 WSM, the forgotten one

The new IMR Enduron powders are selling in the vicinity of $50 per pound. It's enough to make a dedicated shooter swear off boolits and take up pointy sticks and string.

DrMike":3eil544u said:
The new IMR Enduron powders are selling in the vicinity of $50 per pound. It's enough to make a dedicated shooter swear off boolits and take up pointy sticks and string.

You aren't kidding about that Mike. I've gone into conservation mode with the amounts of powders I use..

That is why I use, IMR 4064, 4350, 7828. Three choices and good performance for a structured price given to us, the have nots!

There was an 8mm bullet test posted on the campfire that gave me pause re: that Sierra 220 gr. It didn't open hardly at all! Musta been engineered for 8 RM?

wildgene

You have a load that works well for you and I understand the old saying, if it is not broke, don't fix it. But if you ever feel like trying something else, maybe give the 220 Swift A Frame and the 220 Northfork a try, I don't think you will be disappointed

Dr Mike, a tad off subject, but it is enjoyable reading your posts, as unlike myself, you write very well. Were you educated in the Colonies or in the mother country ?

efw":y3lcbgmq said:
There was an 8mm bullet test posted on the campfire that gave me pause re: that Sierra 220 gr. It didn't open hardly at all! Musta been engineered for 8 RM?

Eric, was it the 220 Sierra for the 8mm or the 215 Sierra for the 338? I saw the 215 Sierra pictures on the Campfire, but haven't seen that 220 Sierra?

wildgene

like I said "if it is not broke, dont fix it"

I had already made a note to self to pick up some Sierra's as I always try to keep an open mind to things I have not tried.

How are you loading them at this time, if you dont mind sharing

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... est_part_1

Sorry got cut short; hard to argue w/ Gene's results!

Honestly I had a 338-06 at the time I stumbled into the 325 and couldn't see what the wizzum had to offer over the 06 cept expensive brass, limited bullet selection, one less in the mag, and clunky feeding so I sold it.

Then I sold the 338 :roll: .

I regret one of those moves!

...I tend to make my bullet choices according to a track record of terminal ballistics, accuracy, B.C. & SD. I'm willing to give up a little bullet drop/ windage, even a little accuracy for what I consider terminal performance, I want stuff dead. Marketing has yet to convince me that a lot of the "premium" bullets equate to mo'dedder, cost/ benefit analysis, @ least in this case, doesn't show any real gain in terminal performance or accuracy, & a significant loss in BC. Hence the plea for a heavy, high BC Nosler hunting bullet...

...apparently, reviews go from "explosive" to "marginal expansion", my results have been pretty much as expected from experience w/ other Sierra "double jacketed" bullets, the .25 120gr., 7mm 160gr., & 165gr. .30 cal. Rapid heavy expansion back to the ogive w/ extreme energy dump, very good penetration by the heavy shank...

...Europe, I'm using a max. load of 63gr. of RL-17, CCI 250, COAL 2.860"...

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16574

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19952

I have never worried about wringing the last possible FPS out of my rifles. Pressure, accuracy, consistency lot-to-lot and bullet game performance are more important to me. I tend to pick a load and use it forever in a caliber but when I pull the trigger, I know what to expect each time.

wildgene":21btb6kb said:
...I tend to make my bullet choices according to a track record of terminal ballistics, accuracy, B.C. & SD. I'm willing to give up a little bullet drop/ windage, even a little accuracy for what I consider terminal performance, I want stuff dead. Marketing has yet to convince me that a lot of the "premium" bullets equate to mo'dedder, cost/ benefit analysis, @ least in this case, doesn't show any real gain in terminal performance or accuracy, & a significant loss in BC. Hence the plea for a heavy, high BC Nosler hunting bullet...

+1

I love heavier NBTs for this reason.

I am really enjoying all of the discussion and appreciate everyone's input.

I take it the 220 Sierra round is the best weight/BC option available. I am not too concerned with separation as long as there is enough penetration for the round to come unglued in the chest cavity while it deposits all of its energy in the animal. Are the concerns that the jacket and core will separate in impact and splash in shallow tissue? That would be hard to believe. I can see that with varmint rounds but not with a heavy round.

I wholeheartedly agree that a long, heavy bullet would help the whole 8mm world, especially the 325 WSM and 8mm Rem.

Suppose I will try the Sierra and also stick to the AccuBond until then.

I picked up a 325 wsm a couple of years ago. Mine is a browning x-bolt stainless. Very nice handling gun. It points naturally and is comfortable to carry. It really fills a niche in my arsenal. I needed something a little bit bigger than 308 or 270 but didn't want to get killed by a 338. While the 325 does kick a bit I found it to be very controlable. My x-bolt weighs in at about 8.5 lbs with a 3-9x Nikon scope mounted. The 23in barrel is much handier than a big 26in one. I havn't had a chance to reload it yet but would really like to see some 220 gr Partitions for the big stuff. In getting the gun sighted in I have used Winchester factory ammo. The premium 180 gr Balistic tip load shot great going for 3,045 fps over my chronograph and giving groups just under an inch at 100 yards. I was dissapointed with the standard 220 gr load. I only got about 2720 fps and groups in the 2-2.5 in range. Can't wait to get some reloads worked up. I plan on using h-4350 and 200 gr acubonds. Has anyone tried RL-17?

...I was getting right @ 2900fps avg. w/ 65grs. (Max Load!!!) of RL-17 & 200gr. bullets, Sierra MK, Nosler CC, Speer HotCors, about 100+fps. more than most of the other powders I tried, 4831's, 4350's, RL-19, Superformance. Accuracy has been very good w/ RL-17, & I haven't noticed any real time temp. problems shooting 500M...

Back