.325 WSM

Oct 29, 2005
Going to stir the hornets now... The questions are as follows

1. Does anybody have any load data for the .325 and what velocities are you getting with what bullets?

2. Is anyone chambering a rifle in the .325 besides Winchester???

Of course the rifle one believes in is the one that kills the best. I have a 6 and a 7, was looking for a proper 8.

I wager that in a few years, after the shake-out has taken place, the .325WSM is one of the cartridges that will no longer be with us. The 8x57mmMauser never caught fire in the US, even after thousands were brought home by returning GIs, following WWII. Which 8mm cartridge has ever really taken off and gained the popularity of any number of .30cal. cartridges or even 7mm cartridges? The 8mm bullet is simply has never found a niche. Being the entry level "big bore" bullet, it comes in light for that arena. In any area, there is nothing that the 8mm can do that is not already being done by any number of very popular bullets. Everyone should buy what they want, however I only predict that the arms/ammo makers are once again creating sales by hyping the .325WSM as something "new and improved", when in reality the .325WSM will be a wall flower with no where to go.

Ruger has announced a M77MKII in .325. I want one. I don't care what other cartridges can do. I like 8mm bullets and I like having something nobody else has.

Catman -

Thanks for the heads up on Ruger. I have two in the cabinet already maybe a third to come. I agree with the "hype" portion of others who have commented and also agree. I think that the hype never really caught on here in Montana like they hoped for. Of course there were a lot of people who had a 300 WSM for a season or two and then went back to their real favorite.

Steve D. the HP

If I ever get the opportunity to go to Alaska for Brown or Grizzly bear, I will purchase a 325 WSM to take with me.

OK Somebody has to step forward:
My name is elkhunt, I'm a gunoholic.
If it's new or new to me, I need one.
If someone else has one, I need one.
If it's pretty, I need one.
And even if I don't need one, I MIGHT need one.
I feel better for sharing that!
Good Hunting :)

Greg Nolan":2i9h18tj said:
OK Somebody has to step forward:
My name is elkhunt, I'm a gunoholic.
If it's new or new to me, I need one.
If someone else has one, I need one.
If it's pretty, I need one.
And even if I don't need one, I MIGHT need one.
I feel better for sharing that!
Good Hunting :)

Yeah, what he said! :p

I have just bought a Kimber 8400 Montana in .325WSM. I worked up a handload that is very accurate. The rifle only weighs 6.8 pounds with the scope. I had a muzzle break put on by Magna-Port. It is an awsome rifle that shoots very well.

The load is as follows:
Winchester Brass
Winchester Magnum primers
68.5 grains of Reloader 19
200gr. Nosler AccuBond bullets
Seat to overall cartridge length of 2.86 inches and slight crimp.

Impact: +3 inches at 100yds, +2.5 inches at 200yds., and -2.5 inches at 300yds.

Groups: .75 inches at 100yds., 1.0 inch at 200yds., and 2.5 inches at 300yds.

Velocity: 2990fps at muzzle

I am going after Montana elk in September. I also work as a guide and was tired of carrying an 11 pound .300 win mag up and down those mountains. :grin:

I like the round. It fills a nice niche. I like larger calibers for elk from prior experience. And I am thinking of taking one to Alaska for brown bear, which is basically saying I would bet my life on it. A man can practice with it. The recoil of a 338 is one I don't like to deal with. I'd rather a 375 H&H. That equals lots of weight. Or even a 416 Rigby. I think loaded with the heaviest bullets hot will do nicely.

Back