338-06 Loads with 200gr Hornady SST

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
Ive been working with the 200gr Hornady SST in my Rem700 JES rebore 338-06 lately. I tried VARGET but the best I got was a little over an inch. I then tried Reloder 15. I loaded up a ladder to test velocity and found a couple of nodes. Then I picked a couple of charges and loaded up 4 of each to test for groups. I found a charge weight that shot excellent so I loaded up more to try and duplicate.

This group measured .502" center to center. Temp was 44*
cLbBMc.jpg

I went back to the range about 2 weeks later and shot this group. Temp was 62*. The first 3 shots were all touching and I pulled shot 4 to the top. .407" for the 3 touching.
WKCu5x.jpg

I shot 2 more groups after the last picture and they produced similar results compared to the groups pictured. All groups ive shot with this load average .580" AVG velocity for this load is 2778 fps. Im going to call this a win in my book and plan to punch some holes in some WV deer this fall with this load.

Nice work. You are good to go.
All you need is a sharp knife.

JD338

Like my 338-06...need to hunt with it more!
I get 1/2" groups with the 215 gr SGK @ 2752 fps from 62.0 gr of H414, and 1/2" groups with factory ammo with 210 gr NP also @ 2750 fps, in my rifle (LH Rem 700 w/ 22" King barrel)

Show us the rifle 🗣️

As requested. I bought this Remington 700 ADL Laminate 30-06 for a more than fair price from a guy on 24hrCampFire. I was intrigued by the 338-06 after my dad had considered sending off a rifle to have it rebored. I saw this and snatched it up and sent it to JES in Oregon. Within a month, I had it back. I had to replace the hard plastic butt plate with a Pachmayer and I had my dad drop in a TriggerTech trigger and glass bed it for me. It wears Leuopold Weaver style bases and rings with a Burris E1 4.5-14x42.

Jon85P.jpg

Here it is on its maiden voyage. Smacked a fat doe in the early antlerless with a stiff charge of 4064 and a 180 AccuBond
Mf6nq2.jpg

First buck with it, and the biggest cowhorn spike Ive ever seen. He got slammed with a 200gr Speer HotCor and a casefull of H380.
gJOXJc.jpg

Great looking rifle really like those laminated stocks. Looks like a shooter too, congrats.

Back