JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
338 200 gr AB from a 338 RUM recovered in water jugs
338RUM200grAB1.jpg

338RUM200grAB2.jpg

JD338

I like them Jim! Those are going to play after this year I think. They look darned good. Scotty

Jim,

Good work on the collections! Got an idea to throw out at everyone. I wonder if there is an "ideal" velocity for the AB that maximizes weight retention penetration and expansion and if that's caliber specific or equal in all calibers, like say 2700 on impact. Might be interesting to look into.

Jake

Jake,

My experiencewith the AB is the 2700-2800 fps impact velocity is ideal for both expansion and penetration.

JD338

Those bullets shoot really well in my 338WM as well. I only start them at 2975 or outta my rifle, but are accurate. Wouldn't mind using them for elk either. I know they would do a great job and they would carry the mail out 600 at least..

Nice! I've got a few 180's to run down my .338-06 thinking of using them on elk if I ever get around to shooting up all of my 200 grain Hornady's.

That's a great bullet in that cannon of yours Jim. It's hard to keep those jugs lined up at 300. I have to just try it now at 400 and maybe 500 to see if it can be done. That way we have an accurate comparison with the penetration as it is the same material we are using at the closer distances. You didn't put how many jugs they went into, do you recall?

Even if I have to use a larger jug of some type, it will still be interesting to see what type of expansion and weight retention I get. I want to see one of those from your jugs at 800 yards sir! Get her done! :mrgreen:
David

David,

I do not recall the number of jugs as it was a few years back. I want to say 6 up close and 7 at 300 yds.

JD338

Back