.338 accu bonds

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
where can i get soem 250 gr. ab's the only store i find them wants $63 a box of 50. alot of money just to load test. anybody got like 10 they could spare? or point me in a direction to a supplier thats not price gouging

I usually go through Graf and Sons if I can't find them locally. $41.99 / 50 however, today they show temporally out of stock.

Do they make the Accbond in 250 in .338? I only saw the 180, 200, & 225 in the AccuBond for the .338 WM.

I was getting a boonie hat this morning and found 225 gr. Accubonds for $39.99 for a box of 50, and the 250 gr. Partitions are $30.99 for a box of 25 count.

Does that help you out? We could figure something out if that would work for you.
David

Antelope_Sniper":3opbmh59 said:
Proshop has the 200gr AB seconds for a REALLY good price. I'd buy 500 and just be done with it for awhile.

I have some of the 200gr AB's from the Pro Shop. Haven't been able to test them out yet, but they are a heckuva good deal.

Like the others said, check out Midway, Grafs, Midsouth and the others. I would think 35-40 for 50 would be much more in line with the price.

I would bet someone here has a few to let you borrow for testing. I wished I had some to give you but I shoot PT's. Scotty

I am working up some loads for elk. I was looking at the 225 Accubonds and Partitions.
Which would be the best for elk?

Either the 225 AccuBond or the 225 Partition will work very well for elk. I'd make my determination on the basis of which one shot best in my rifle.

C Broad Arrow":kchpod6w said:
I am working up some loads for elk. I was looking at the 225 Accubonds and Partitions.
Which would be the best for elk?

Yeah, I tried the AB's in my 338WM and just couldn't get them to work with RL19 really well. 225gr PT's shoot really well, as does the 250gr PT. If you can get the AB's to shoot, you have a very capable rifle that will hammer elk for a long way.

What powder are you shooting? Scotty

I was planning on using vhita vuori n160m with a 225 bullet weight. I am trying to determine which bullet. I might also want to use the load for moose and deer.

If a load works on elk, you can be certain it'll work on moose and deer. VN160 is a good powder for the cartridge.

I am shooting an M70 338WM. RL19 is my GO TO powder for just about every other bullet to include 250's. Honestly though, I didn't spend a ton of time on the 225's, but I know they can be very accurate when loaded for the rifles and some time is taken to tune the loads. After this year, I might drop back to 225's or 200's to try something different.

I think you will probably do well with RL19. Very good powder for the 338WM. Haven't found a better one yet. Scotty

What would be the difference between the AB and the PT bullet in the 338? Why would I use one over the other? Last year I used E-tip in a 308 for whitetail and I won't use them again. They fragmented and one shot took 2 deer.

Last year I used E-tip in a 308 for whitetail and I won't use them again. They fragmented and one shot took 2 deer.

That is very strange. I've never encountered such a thing with any monolithic bullet. You likely won't notice any difference in wound channels or ability to kill between the AB and the PT. The two bullets have the same sectional density, so penetration will be identical. The AB has a higher ballistic coefficient than the PT, so it will likely outperform at long distance. Under 450 yards, you likely won't see much difference in the two bullets.

rl 19 in the wmag is the king in mine, with 210 to 250's in whatever. my ultra mag likes 7828.

DrMike":j4qb28gi said:
That is very strange. I've never encountered such a thing with any monolithic bullet. You likely won't notice any difference in wound channels or ability to kill between the AB and the PT. The two bullets have the same sectional density, so penetration will be identical. The AB has a higher ballistic coefficient than the PT, so it will likely outperform at long distance. Under 450 yards, you likely won't see much difference in the two bullets.

Ok..thanks.. But what then is the primary difference between the two bullet designs philosophically? (Never thought I would ask the that type of question) There must has been something in the mind of the designer when looking at the AB and PT and then viewing the application.

The AccuBond is a bonded bullet, designed to retain at least 70% of mass after impact. The core is bonded to the jacket so that there will be minimal separation. The Partition has a centre mandrel to keep the rear of the bullet intact during impact. Again, the goal is to retain approximately 70% of mass following impact. Either bullet permits expansion without allowing significant fragmentation or loss of mass. Each accomplishes the same goal through different means. The Partition was perhaps the first bullet marketed to address the problem of fragmentation following high velocity impact. The AccuBond was response to a growing demand for a bullet that would accomplish the same thing without sacrificing a higher ballistic coefficient to allow longer range shooting.

Thanks Dr Mike for the clarification. THat now makes sense to be as to the differences and the evolution of the bullet design. I have use PT's in the past with great success, so now it may be that the AB will be the bullet of choice going forward. As mentioned above, I was not impressed with the E-Tip, and I had very high hopes for the bullet. But in fairness, it could be the hunter (me) and not the bullet and in the failing light of the day in which the kill took place it is now hard to say whether the bullet fragmented or if it passed through one deer and into the other...killing both.

Dead is dead, the results were magnificant but the concern was the issue of fragmentation. I like one shot clean kills. Not the bang, bang, bang, pause bang so often heard in the woods where I hunt.

Back