338 Accubond LR 265 - starting load ideas?

MtEmilyhunter

Beginner
Aug 22, 2017
I am a new member looking for some ideas for the new 338 long range AccuBond bullet. After 25+ years of shooting a 338 win mag I found myself ordering a 338 RUM on the Montana Rifle platform. I am currently getting 2825 fps with the 250 AccuBond with .5 MOA, and have had some great results on steel out to 1100 yards now with 338 win mag......and probably shouldn't be changing anything. But...... I have read some great things about the 338 RUM and I believe it will be a much better platform for the heavier 265 grain AccuBond.

I have seen some great posts on several different sites from JD338 and others getting close to 3000 fps out of their 338 RUM's with the 250 accubonds. Do any of you have any insight about what the 265's might be capbable of? I am looking at working with Retumbo, Rl26, and maybe even the Rl33. Any other suggestions?

Gary

Gary welcome aboard. The Mt. Emily unit was well designed for the .338 RUM. I can't help with your load questions but I'm sure you'll find answers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't help you either but you have come to the right place, there are a number of guys here using the 338 RUM. Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard Gary.
The 265 gr ABLR will be fantastic in the 338 RUM. I am patiently waiting to get my paws on some.
I'm thinking I should get 2850-2900 fps with Retumbo.
The 250 gr AB is running 2990 fps and has served me well. A couple weeks ago this load spoke 5 times and put 5 crop damage deer down.
You are going to love the raw horse power of the 338 RUM.

JD338

Thank you for the information. Bullets and gun will probably arrive about the same time. I am really looking forward to putting the new package all together.

MtEmilyhunter":1cg9a5fr said:
Thank you for the information. Bullets and gun will probably arrive about the same time. I am really looking forward to putting the new package all together.

Let me know if you need any load data. I have loads from 200 gr to 300 gr.
Stock up on Retumbo. ;)

JD338

I used the Nosler 180AB from a 338 RUM going 3500fps on a big Aoudad in West Texas. 250yd shot and he was down, bullet acted like a Partition! It was flat shooting too! Something to think about....I used a case full of H4831. ( I "want" to say it was 99gr, but can't remember right now)

Back