.338 accubond performance

Dusty Shelhamer

Beginner
Feb 24, 2005
Just want to let the crowd in on how my 338 AccuBond 225gr performed out of my 338-06. Went on a cow hunt in Ruiodoso at the Mescalero Reservation. when my shot came up it was on a cow that was 529 yards away ranged by my guideand bushnell range finders. I felt it was a little long but he said He had confidence me after shooting at the 300 yard marker on the range. I took the shot it was a hit she fell in her tracks!!! My first Elk!!! Recovered the Bullet it was perfect mushroom core stayed attached to the jacket and it ended up at 193 gr. thats about 86% retention. I have used partitions on everything from whitetail/mulies and hogs. This was the first time I have strayed and I was not disapointed. thanks guys for making this a memorable hunt. oh yea the load data for MY (yours may be different) 338-06 is 55gr of h380 nosler .338 225 gr AccuBond and cci 250 primer. 2700 fps leaving the barrel
Dusty :grin:

This is encouraging. Great story. I have recently built a 35-06 JDJ 15" Encore Barrel. It pushes .358 225 gr slugs out the spout @ 2750. I am excited to get to put it to the test.

You made a 500 yd one shot kill ???!!!!! I am impressed.

it was wild I would have never taken that shot if it wasnt for my guide talking me through it reminding me of our practice session on the range. I was stoked and had 3 witnesses 1 that I work with makes it easer to tell at work lol :eek:

Dusty,

Congratulations on your elk. You made a fantastic shot!
Could you be so kind as to give more details on the recovered bullet.
Where did it hit and where was it recovered ai the elk? Also, what is the diameter of the expanded bullet?

Thanks for the G2.

Regards,

JD338

Congrats on your first elk! You mentioned you switched from partitions to the AccuBond. It sounds like you are very pleased with the AccuBond performance. Why did you switch? How do you feel the AccuBond performed compaired to the Partition?

oh ok the specifics are the bullet at the largest part of the mushroom is .644 it was hit just where the neck and body join quartering in found in off side hide about neck high I know that a shot that far has alot of luck in it but like the gude said "without good gun handling there isnt a chance for luck"

sky:: the reason I switched was purely cosmetic I feel like the Partition is the best bullet for hunting but loved the way the AccuBond looked and it performed as promised. I would love to tell you that ballistic coef. had something to do with it but it is to small for me to tell. now having said that I will say that it may not be better than the Partition but i will say it did as said it would and in my eyes that makes it an equal just bought some 180 gr .30 for my 30x8mm (or 30 stw) that will hunt mulies and have to shoot swift scirroco in my .224 TTH for whitetail until nosler makes a 75 gr 22 AccuBond :shock:

Dusty,
Ill post a pic of the bullet for you if you'll just e-mail me the pic. I sent you a pm with my e-mail addy. Mike

Here's the pictures of the AccuBond that Dusty recovered from his Elk. Nice mushroom and again congrats on your first Elk! Mike
Bullet1.jpg

Bullet2.jpg

Impact velocity woould be around 1900 fps, looks pretty good!

Regards,

JD338

Good story with excellent results. I too have a 338-06, but have yet to get the chance to put it to the critter test. Just curious as the the make, model and barrel length of your rifle.

it is a 24 inch barrel custom built by Bruce Broughton(Broughtoncustomrifles.com) with a Tim North Broughton Barrel on a 721 action with a mcmillan stock. Factory trigger worked over alittle. A Leupold 4x14 Boone and Crockett Scope.

Back