338 barrel length?

Gee Earl if it doesn't this might.
All the big 338's that are used for long range shooting wear 27"-30" barrels for max velocity with heavy for caliber bullets which is something you don't see mention a lot unless you ask.
Winchester built the Alaskan with a 25" barrel for a reason and that was to get the best balance in over all barrel length and for use able velocity. Anything shorter then 24" would be like using reduced loads but still getting the same recoil with less performance. :)>)

So I'll be a little contrary, but I had an older M70 338 Win with the BOSS on it. I measured it with the BOSS and useful barrel length was about 21" and change. I had 0 issues with getting the 200 AB up to 2975 and had tons of useful case life. I ran 250 Partitions with book loads of RL19 and easily attained 2700 with it. I do like my longer P64 Alaskan since it seems to have less blast, but I wouldn't be concerned with good handloads. The 338 Win Mag isn't an overbore cartridge really, and uses pretty medium burning powders so I wouldn't really sweat a 22" barrel on a 338. It'll still easily crush 2900 with 210's and 2700 with 250's. I think the Federal factory ammo is sorta anemic for some reason, even compared to plain old book data.

My 35 Newton sits on a 20.5" barrel and uses a bit more powder than the 338 using the same bullets and that'll get easily useful speeds..

Lol,
Scotty does your truck get 28mpg uphill, towing a 12,000 lb 5th Wheel ???? :lol: :lol:
I think your referencing super hot handloads, :? And not a standard box of Remington 250 Corelokts from Walmart that 90% of the folks will actually use. Cutting 6" off my old Super Grade; cost over 200fps from the same box of shells..... Simple as that.
Hey the magnum argument goes on every nite at the lodge, all fall , every year.
Hey if you like Magnum calibers with short barrels; go
for it. Its all good. 8)
I think most 20" barreled 338's with factory fodder, are going to look alot more like mid 2500's with 250's.
But I know you can wring ever last drop out of about any
Caliber with your vast knowledge of reloading, and am sure your velocities are darn accurite. And of course I respect your opinions. (y)

dkmlever":x23ckwcy said:
I am going to have my 338 win mag rebarreled. Currently it is 22 inches long .....
I no longer want a brake and am thinking 24 inches,
you thoughts on what length is best for this caliber please.

Yeah, I'm thinking 24 to 26", too.

This length will help get more velocity appropriate from a 338 Win mag.

35 Whelen":3mqgrpap said:
Lol,
Scotty does your truck get 28mpg uphill, towing a 12,000 lb 5th Wheel ???? :lol: :lol:
I think your referencing super hot handloads, :? And not a standard box of Remington 250 Corelokts from Walmart that 90% of the folks will actually use. Cutting 6" off my old Super Grade; cost over 200fps from the same box of shells..... Simple as that.
Hey the magnum argument goes on every nite at the lodge, all fall , every year.
Hey if you like Magnum calibers with short barrels; go
for it. Its all good. 8)
I think most 20" barreled 338's with factory fodder, are going to look alot more like mid 2500's with 250's.
But I know you can wring ever last drop out of about any
Caliber with your vast knowledge of reloading, and am sure your velocities are darn accurite. And of course I respect your opinions. (y)

Nope, I agree with you there E. What you just described fits pretty well into the old 25-35 FPS for every inch of barrel with all else being equal with a medium capacity cartridge.

Back