338 Federal

velvetant

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Who loads for it and what is your impression?
I have a Winchester FW in 243 that just doesn't want to group and I'm thinking of barreling it in the 338 Federal.
Mike I know you did this, what do you think?

Thanks
Randy

I have a Tikka T-3 in this caliber. Thus far it has proven to be a major pain in my posterior because I haven't found a load that groups worth anything. The very best I"ve gotten thus far is 1.5 inches, although that's a major improvement from the 4+ inches I was getting. :cry:

Loading is easy, brass was easily made from 308's and powder selection isn't a major concern. I think I may have gotten a lemon rifle or I just haven't found the magic load combination.

Overall I think the caliber has some merit and many of the review's I've read said it was very effective on live animals.

Ron

Randy, what about the little 358! Then you would have the little brother to your Norma! Scotty

Randy,

It looks as if my 338 Federal will be int he shop for a few more weeks. I get the 35 Whelen next week and the 9.3 X 64 is on the workbench. The 338 Federal was moved to the back. I anticipate seeing it finished in a couple of months. I suspect the cartridge will be excellent for black bear, mule deer, caribou to ~250 yards, the same as the 358 Winchester. i will use it for elk and moose to 200 yards, loaded with a good bullet. I have no particular concerns about the cartridge. Undoubtedly, I've been influence, at least in part, by the larger bodies of game I normally hunt. Consequently, I'm not a fan of the .243 for this region. Thus, converting the 243 to 338 Federal was an easy decision for me, and the more so since at the time I started the project I had two 358s (Ruger Hawkeye and BLR). I don't anticipate that the 338 Federal will do anything my 358 Win won't do, and vice versa. It is an easy conversion, if your gunsmith isn't swamped.

beretzs":22srvigs said:
Randy, what about the little 358! Then you would have the little brother to your Norma! Scotty
Scotty
Been thinking about that also, or just redo in 243 or 6mm-284 or or or ................ :grin: :grin: :grin:
Got you Ruger sorted out yet as to what you're going to do with it?

Randy

velvetant":3kphi722 said:
beretzs":3kphi722 said:
Scotty
Been thinking about that also, or just redo in 243 or 6mm-284 or or or ................ :grin: :grin: :grin:

Randy

That 6-284 would be pretty sweet too. What a screamer it would be!

I have no idea what I am doing with the Ruger, it is still for sale, and have someone looking at it. Just playing phone tag with them. I am up to my ears in rifles right now, so I could do without another rifle for a little. Having a bunch of fun with this 264 and 7WSM right now. Scotty

beretzs":1s152ng8 said:
velvetant":1s152ng8 said:
beretzs":1s152ng8 said:
Scotty

Randy

That 6-284 would be pretty sweet too. What a screamer it would be!

I have no idea what I am doing with the Ruger, it is still for sale, and have someone looking at it. Just playing phone tag with them. I am up to my ears in rifles right now, so I could do without another rifle for a little. Having a bunch of fun with this 264 and 7WSM right now. Scotty
Scotty
Sent you a PM on the Ruger

I have a hawkeye in 338 Federal and was a little frustrated with it at first. It does not like lighter bullets. I found a load using H4895 and 215gr Sierra's that brought it sub MOA. I then tried Leverevolution Powder. I gained some speed and retained accuracy. Can't remember the charge right now but it was one grain less than Hodgdon's max load for the Leverevolution powder. My cousin has a Tikka in 338 Federal and he was having issues with it also until he tried the 215 Sierra's and H4895

I have owned a .338 Federal in a Sako Model 85 Hunter for about 2-1/2 years now. I have not had the opportunity to kill anything with it but: it is essentially a .338 Win Mag with 100 yards of target distance added to it. Meaning that at 100 yards the .338 Mag equals the .338 Federal at the muzzle.

I have loaded and fired maybe 400+ rounds of handloads and factory ammo through my rifle using the following:
180 gr Nosler BT's at 2650 fps+ accuracy sub-MOA with IMR 4064.
200 gr CT Silvertip BT's at 2600 fps+ accuracy sub-MOA with IMR 4064.
200 gr Hornady Spire Points at 2600 fps+ accuracy sub-MOA with IMR 4064.
200 gr Federal Softpoint factory ammo at 2600 fps+ accuracy around MOA+.
210 Nosler Partitions at 2560 fps+ accuracy 2 MOA with one flyer with IMR 3031.

Good info guys. For some reason I am smitten with that cartridge, but dont shoot anything big enough to warrant the bigg boolits. But its fun to wish, eh?

Rod

If I didn't have a 358, I would probably be all over the 338F, but I would feel like I am cheating on the BLR with a 338 in the safe as well. It is an awesome thumper. Tailor made for the big woods. Scotty

Back