338 RUM 250 gr AB on WT Deer

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Here is a 1.5 yr Spike WT deer that was shot with a 338 RUM and a 250 gr AB. Shoulder shot, dropped in his tracks. The exit hole was the size of a nickel. Lungs were destroyed without excessive meat damage.
Spike111608a.jpg

Spike1116008b.jpg

Way more bullet and caliber than needed for WT deer, just testing the new bullet out.

JD338

Jim... no good!!!

you killed him too much! :twisted:

The AccuBond "smart bomb" strikes again. I don't know how they do it but I love it. Congrats Jim. Nice buck (YUM) :grin:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

What was the range? I just bought a 338 RUM for long range shooting and I wonder if the 250 A-bond is soft enough to expand on deer and lopes when the velocity drops.

I guess the question might be asked better this way. Is the 250 A-bond built tougher than the smaller caliber A-bonds? Is 1800 fps still the lower limit on expnsion?

Bigfoot":357hjtd4 said:
What was the range? I just bought a 338 RUM for long range shooting and I wonder if the 250 A-bond is soft enough to expand on deer and lopes when the velocity drops.

I guess the question might be asked better this way. Is the 250 A-bond built tougher than the smaller caliber A-bonds? Is 1800 fps still the lower limit on expansion?

This 338 RUM load with the 250 gr AB has a muzzle velocity of 2950 fps. Range was 40 yds. The 250 gr AB is designed to expand between 3100-1800 fps impact velocity. No worries about expansion on the smaller critters. In fact, this hunt was to try to simulate an African plains game hunt, hence the reason for the shoulder shot. The entrance was higher, the deer was shot from an elevated stand overlooking a marsh.

JD338

JD - I'm glad to see you're using enough gun. Those whitetail can charge when wounded - particularly big nasty ol' devils like the one you dropped. Hair raising adventure stuff there! :grin:

Hey - just funnin' ya - good job! Should be some good eats. I think it's neat that you're using the Big Gun for little jobs like this.

Regards, Guy

Poor guy never stood a chance. Probably could have missed him by a couple inches and he still would have died with that setup. :lol:
Nice job and thanks for the report.

See JD shoots a little deer with a big gun, while I shoot a big deer with a little gun.

It's all very logical... :grin:

JD338 - you taking the RUM to Africa?????

Guy Miner":192oasp5 said:
See JD shoots a little deer with a big gun, while I shoot a big deer with a little gun.

It's all very logical... :grin:

JD338 - you taking the RUM to Africa?????

OK, next year I am hunting with my 257 Roberts and the 110 gr AB :wink: Hows that for logic? :lol:

Yes, African Plains Game is in the plans, but its a looooong ways off.
Nosler 4 wanted a high shoulder shot (if possible) to simulate African plains game. Well, since I was pushing Nosler to make the 250 gr AB for 3 years, thought it was only right to give them a high shoulder shot with the 338 250 AB. :lol:

JD338

JD,

Congrats on the deer !!! is that milk I see on his lips ?? :wink: All in fun, all in fun... that will be a great piece of meat this winter.
I figured on your earlier post that you may have a " Master Plan " in the works...

Congrats again.....!!!

So... hmm.... the RUM going to be your new coyote gun now too ??

I would like to load the 250 AccuBond with my 338 WinMag. I would think it would make an excellent all purpose round. Of course, if I cannot use it on elk right away, I would like to try it on deer, ya know, just to make sure it works. It looks like it was fun to me. Scotty

I'm looking forward to using my 338 & 375 RUMs on some CA hogs. My luck, I'll only find these 50 - 100lb piglets instead of some 150 - 200 lbs hogs while toting one of these two canons.

Back