338 RUM vs 338 Lapua

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
So my friend Matt and I were toying with the idea of building (or buying) a long range rifle in the future. We looked at many rifles and many cartridges but pretty much settled on something in 338 caliber. To the resources we had available, it seems the 338 RUM and 338 Lapua are pretty much ballistic twins with equal capabilities. The RUM however comes in much more afordable rifles, much more affordable components, and it is easier to aquire factory ammo for. What is the advantage, if any, to getting the Lapua instead of getting a 338 RUM and spending your savings in a good scope and custom features while still saving literally thousands of dollars?

They are similar in velocity. If your wanting a long range hunting rifle the 338 rum will work just fine. If your looking for a serious long range hunting and precision purpose built rifle spend the money and get a lapua built. Both are expensive to shoot.

usmc 89":3n8q94gx said:
They are similar in velocity. If your wanting a long range hunting rifle the 338 rum will work just fine. If your looking for a serious long range hunting and precision purpose built rifle spend the money and get a lapua built. Both are expensive to shoot.
+1
You have the 338 Edge to pick from also.

I have a M700 LSS in 338 RUM and you are correct that it is basically the ballistic twin to the 338 Lapua. The advantage goes to the 338 Lapua because of the better quality of the brass. My go to loads are the 250 gr AB at 2970 fps and the 250 gr PT at 3024 fps.
338RUM250grAB412.jpg

JD338

Right - the main advantage is the match grade brass avail for the Lapua.

There's a very strong .338 Lapua fan club on some forums that will give you a lot of other reasons why the Lapua is superior on all counts and refuse to believe the performance a standard .338 Rem Ultra Mag is capable of (let alone the Edge version) but... The real advantage is the high quality .338 Lapua brass and high quality, match grade factory ammo built for long-range shooting.

They're both great cartridges! For a hunting rifle, I'd grab a .338 RUM and happily hunt.

Regards, Guy

Here is a case in point.....

OU812 on the forum has a 338 Lapua that he just sold. As I recall, he had 12+ loadings on the cases (Lapua brass) and they were still going strong!

JD338

I still have a vague plan of picking up an SPS 7RUM, and, after wasting the factory tube, installing an Edge tube and a McMillan tactical stock.

Nice! Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments, near as I could tell the Norma brass and Lapua name were the only two things that the 338 Lapua had over a 338 RUM. Our criterion for the rifle would be completely suited by the 338 RUM with the less expensive yet still high quality Remington 700 rifles that it is chambered most frequently in. We plan to build this rifle together as a project probably next year being as I already have nearly spent the years budget on gun projects, some of which are still in the works of being completed.

We were thinking a 26" tube plus muzzle break, a McMillan or equivalent fiberglass stock glass-bedded, trigger job, Picatinny rail and a very nice Leupy or equivalent (if such exists :wink: ) and of course our own selection of handloads from the bench of yours truly. With 250 gr SMK's for target and 250 grain Nosler bullets for hunting!

Then the trouble is, I will have to save up to buy out his half share of the rifle! Of course I will give him the occasional visit... :mrgreen:

I'm excited, this will be a great rifle.

On a side note I just dropped off the 7mm Rem Mag barrel and my 300 Win Mag at the gunsmith's this morning so that rifle will finally be complete in a few weeks!

If you are going to go build one you may as well go with a 28" or 30" tube to get the most out of that case. I'm getting 3300 with the 225 AB out of my 338 edge (28" + break). I was very pleased with the bear that I shot this spring at 600 yards with that bullet. I packed it around for a few days in the hills and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, both weight and lenght were very managable. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't my 24" barreled 8lb 280 AI, but it didn't bother me.

The 338 edge is a 300 RUM necked up (bit more case capacity than the 338 RUM). If your going with a custom barrel the only thing that will cost you more that a 338 RUM would be dies. And for that expence you get a nice little gain in the fps department!

If you would like to play with one before you decide, just hit me up sometime. I'm over in the baker/GR valley quite often.

If you guys are building an edge you may want to make a single shot, by the time you run a bullet down an edges throat so that it fits in the magazine well your not gaining anything over the standard 338 rum. I just sold a 338 um in a single shot version the reason I went with the single shot is when I had the guy build it I had the throat cut to seat a 250 hpbt at the bottom of the neck. This allowed me to burn 98 grains H 1000 and run a 250 hornady hpbt at 3170 fps. And that is through a oehler 35p a truth telling chronograph. The brass from remington is junk period. And they want 1.10 a piece for it, then you have to go home and sort it for weight and concentricity. Three firings at max if your lucky and you get to start all over. I will be doing a lapua next.

You might want to consider the 338 Lapua Improved. :wink:

JD338

I have considered the 338 Edge but I think I am pretty set on the 338 RUM just because it will be a less expensive weapon to purchase and customize while still giving amazing ballistics. Want a Remmy 700...sorry Dr. Mike, got to buy a remington next as the winchesters now have the upper hand in my gun cabinet.

As for the tube length, 26" is plenty, if I was going with a Ruger Number 1 single shot I would gladly go with a 28-30" barrel because they dont protrude as far and give the same handling characteristics as a 26" bolt gun.

Thanks for the input gentlemen...I do appreciate it!

filmjunkie4ever

Just to wet your whistle...... :mrgreen:

Remington 700 LSS 338 RUM with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm
700LSS338RUM.jpg

JD338

filmjunkie4ever":1v2an971 said:
Oooh yes, just like that one! Thats what i want!

That is what I was thinking. :mrgreen:

If you can find one, grab it. They are shooters!

JD338

My vote is the 338 RUM. As aldready mentioned components are easier to find and cheaper. Also, I'm getting 2966 fps from my 338RUM with 250ABs (but this load can't be shot in warmer weather as its right at the limit. I developed the load around 45 - 50 degrees) and getting 3150 fps with the 200ET. Oh and I'm using Fed nickle brass that I got from Graf & Sons -unfortunately I can't find it now, but I did buy 300 piecses though.

The RUM does make a nice quick rifle, but even with the Remington's, there isn't a whole lot of selection of them. Really, it seems like you need to go custom either way, and while components are cheaper for the RUM, I would think the Lapua brass lasting longer and being a little more consistent would pay for itself in the end. Either one is a barn burner for sure. I guess you could debate them both for quite awhile. I just have a bias towards the Lapua. Nothing really set in stone. Scotty

At the risk of coming across as an atagonist, (No intent this time... :lol: ) but just food for thought when one considers the cost of feeding a large capacity case such as the edge or the lapua.

I sure have love shooting my 6BR with 30grs of RL15, at 2825 fps with a 105 Amax & 107's SMK's, All Day Long..... I am even going replumb my 6.5 Imp for next yrs Mid-Range League in it.. Well I might go bigger to maybe a Dasher or BRX...

Hmmmmm, maybe I am just a wussy?

Lol!

Rod

Back