338 RUM vs 338 Lapua

nodak7mm":1992lv7b said:
At the risk of coming across as an atagonist, (No intent this time... :lol: ) but just food for thought when one considers the cost of feeding a large capacity case such as the edge or the lapua.

I sure have love shooting my 6BR with 30grs of RL15, at 2825 fps with a 105 Amax & 107's SMK's, All Day Long..... I am even going replumb my 6.5 Imp for next yrs Mid-Range League in it.. Well I might go bigger to maybe a Dasher or BRX...

Hmmmmm, maybe I am just a wussy?

Lol!

Rod
Joel has been talking about that Dasher also Rod. I'm just as interested in the 6mm stuff as I I'm with the big boomers. Let us know how it turns out.

usmc 89":3eql66i4 said:
The brass from remington is junk period. And they want 1.10 a piece for it, then you have to go home and sort it for weight and concentricity. Three firings at max if your lucky and you get to start all over. I will be doing a lapua next.

Why not use Nosler brass instead?

I shoot a .340 Weatherby quite a bit. Now, it is not a .338 Rum, Edge or Lapua but I know a couple of things that are important to me at least. The main issue is brass integrity and quality. I have shot Norma, Nosler and Remington (.300 Weatherby) brass in my rifle and will never buy any more magnum Remington brass under any conditions. It is junk!

Norma brass and Nosler brass are both quality products and the Weatherby (Norma) brass has machined primer pockets which give me more than (5) reloads per case with pretty hot loads. Both Norma and Nosler weigh the same and seem to be equivalent quality.

Lapua brass costs twice as much but it is better quality then Norma brass and in a different league than Remington altogther. The Lapua is very dimensionally consistent, high quality brass that will handle Lapua magnum pressures and come back usually for 10 or more more reloadings. If you calculate actual cost of Remington at 3 loads per case and Lapua at 9-10 loads per case. The cost becomes a different comparison.

I shoot a 7mm wildcat based off the 338 lapua case, when I had it built I ordered enough WC872 to see the barrel out, at 4 bucks a pound, each charge of 110 gr of powder costs me just over 6 cents. so I load them almost as cheap as the 6mm's and such.
RR

If you use the M700 as a platform, then the RUM is your ticket. If you go with Lapua, the bolt will have to be open up to accommodate the larger diameter Lapua case head. Lot's of gunsmith will talk to you against doing it. They think the M700 action is not adequate for the Lapua size cartridge even though Remington is chambering them on their XCR Tactical Rifle. No matter which way you go, they're both expensive to shoot.

how much better is lapua brass

When tom sarver fired the all time record 1.403" 1000 yd BR group, he used lapua brass, here is a copy paste describing it
Tom was shooting a big 30 wildcat he calls the “300 Hulk”, a shortened 338 Lapua Magnum necked down to 30 caliber, pushing 240gr Sierra MatchKings (0.711 BC) at close to 3000 fps. Tom is using about 85 grains of H1000. He anneals the Lapua brass after every firing, and the brass that set the record was on its 58th firing!
so its good for more than 10 firings if you take care of it
RR
link to the article
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/200 ... 000-yards/

JD338":cvol2nss said:
filmjunkie4ever

Just to wet your whistle...... :mrgreen:

Remington 700 LSS 338 RUM with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm
700LSS338RUM.jpg

JD338

jim, I see this is an old thread that has been revived but wanted to tell you that is one sweet rifle.

Charlie, I agree with you about the 340, they are "right there" with the other 338 s. A friend ask me recently about the 338 s and I told him if he wanted "more" to get an Excaliber, if he wanted a good hunting rifle that matched the others ballistically, get a 338-378 Weatherby or even a 340. Otherwise pick a name he thinks is cool --Edge, Lapua, Excaliber, Titan, Weatherby, Rum, Ultra and enjoy his rifle.

Africa Huntress":15jab937 said:
JD338":15jab937 said:
filmjunkie4ever

700LSS338RUM.jpg

JD338

jim, I see this is an old thread that has been revived but wanted to tell you that is one sweet rifle.

Charlie, I agree with you about the 340, they are "right there" with the other 338 s. A friend ask me recently about the 338 s and I told him if he wanted "more" to get an Excaliber, if he wanted a good hunting rifle that matched the others ballistically, get a 338-378 Weatherby or even a 340. Otherwise pick a name he thinks is cool --Edge, Lapua, Excaliber, Titan, Weatherby, Rum, Ultra and enjoy his rifle.

Thank you Aleena.
I really like this rifle and I am partial to the 338 RUM. There is just something about the fast 338's.

JD338

Absolutely, Aleena. I bought the .340 for three reasons: it is a Mark V action, the .340 has more sources for quality brass than the RUM or Edge and I remembered reading articles back in the 1960's when the .340 was first introduced which stated with a 225 grain Partition at nearly 3100 fps, the .340 Weatherby was the ultimate elk hunting rifle of all time, at least at that time. Of course now there are other choices.

Africa Huntress":3i3e5biw said:
JD338":3i3e5biw said:
filmjunkie4ever

700LSS338RUM.jpg

JD338

No Aleena, this over simplifies the decision LOL But it made me laugh and is probably as good a way as any to make the decision of, "which one"

Charlie, I am another who has come to appreciate the 340. For this area it is a great "one gun" caliber

Sean, Donna and I went to Alaska again this summer for a visit, it is a lovely place. If I lived there, I would carry the .340 with 250 gr Partitions for life insurance or for any hunting.

Back