338 vs 300win Recoil

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I was talking with a friend of mine today about the 338 win and the 338 rum. I have never fired either cartrige but have always had a desire to have one. Any way, My freind was saying the 300 win mag has a harder reciol than the 338. I have a 300 win and don't think the recoil is too heavy.
Do any of you own both and how would you compare the recoil.

I have a 700 LSS in 338 RUM. I added a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad which took the sting out of the recoil. The recoil isn't as bad as some will tell you. I shot 20-25 rounds from field positions, including prone, without any problems. This was done weekly over a summer in preperation for an elk hunt.
I have a 35 Whelen and the recoil isn't much different than either the 300 Win Mag or the 338 Win Mag.

JD338

I shoot both 338 and 300 Win mag. I didn't perceived any difference between the two. I also shot a 340 Weatherby once loaded with 250 grain bullet. Now, there's really a big difference when compared with the other two.

I have all 3 plus a 300 RUM they all have Sims recoil pads . I can't feel enough difference 338 WM , 300 WM and 300 RUM to really tell them apart if you can handle one you will handle the others without much trouble. The recoil of the 300's is a quicker sharper recoil so if really pressed I would say I find the 338 a little more pleasant to shoot , but again the difference is not great. The 338 RUM is a little different , I'm not sure how to word this . If I shoot them individually I don't notice that much difference. If I shoot them all together on the same day I can tell it has noticably more recoil but it's not painful there's just alot of it . I heard it put best when I was in a gun shop and someone asked the owner of the shop if he had shot a 338 RUM and how hard it kicked. I'm not sure how many over .40 mags. he has shot but I know he has shot 458 WM and 460 WBY. He said " If I shot one I don't recall at some point recoil is just recoil and they all feel about the same". JD338 is right on about the 338 RUM the recoil is not as bad as you have heard. Good hunting KHH

Recoil can be a funny thing. Harsh at the bench and you don't even notice it when you are shooting at game.
Some of the gun rags tell us that a 338 Win Mag is brutal but I really don't think it that bad. The 375 H&H is way up there but than its compared to a 12 ga shotgun. 2-3 rounds of trap or skeet and we don't even complain about it.
All guns have recoil, some more than others. I just don't think much about it and go do my thing. Invest in a good recoil pad and go have fun.

JD338

I dont think there is much difference between the 338 win and 300 win. I you can shoot one you can handle the other.

I have a 300 ultra and I think it is a little bit more recoil than the 338 and 300 wins.

The 338 ultra that I shot was like shooting my 458 . I was shooting them side by side. Definately not like a 300 mag of any flavor.

I have a hard time shooting a few rounds at the range. I always end up taking multiple guns and lots of ammo. A day at the range is a day at the range. I know that recoil is not good for the body but I don't feel right going to work on a Monday without a little bit of a sore sholder.
Just thinking about shooting puts a smile on my face.
I usually shoot around 40 rounds of 300 win at one sitting. My target loads are 165 gr accubonds aroung 3000fps.
I have always liked the balistic looks of the 338 family.

old #7":pi0g0ot3 said:
I know that recoil is not good for the body but I don't feel right going to work on a Monday without a little bit of a sore sholder.

:shock: I love shooting as well, but my magnum rest takes the punishment, not my shoulder. Maybe some would call me a wuss, but shooting at the range is for sighting in and practice, not to see how much you can punish your shoulder/body. Plus. I would think that hammering your shoulder would eventually lead to anticipating the shot and flinching. Just my opinion.

Back