338 Win Loads

Truck Driver, I have only ever used IMR 4831 powder in my Rem 700 (24"), .338 Win Mag rifle.
The chronographed performance, closely duplicates the H 4831 SC results shown above.

FYI, I can safely achieve 2700fps with a 250grn bullet, and 3000fps with a 200grn bullet.
These are what I refer to as Maximum Safe Working Loads (MSWL) in my rifle, with the components I used.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Thanks Homer, I haven't received the rifle yet so we are just preplanning the possibilities and options and appreciate any and all info offered.
I have been noticing how my 35Whelen/AI closely paralleled some of the info I have received.

Roger,

RL19 or IMR4350 is always a good choice with the 210 gr PT.

JD338

I've had good luck with the 180 to 210 grain bullets using powder close to the burn rate of the 4350's.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone load 225gr Hornady Spire points? I got what appears to be 100 from Midway and need a starter load to play with.

truck driver":3pvdyrn3 said:
Does anyone load 225gr Hornady Spire points? I got what appears to be 100 from Midway and need a starter load to play with.
I use them for fire forming my .338 Jarrett. Super accurate, though a little slow. I fireform a box every year, shooting steel plates. If you end up not liking them I'll buy what you don't use.
I've never used that bullet for hunting with my 338 so I can't help you there.

Don't let me spook you on R19 TD...I admittedly never tried it with another bullet style in my 338 at the time. I'm sure that it being "caked" solid affected the burn rate, hence ( so seldom do I get to use that word outside of a sermon!) the huge velocity loss. The old XLCs could be pretty difficult to load for, in my experience, as they didn't have much "bullet pull" upon ignition. As I mentioned, it is one of my favorite powders in the 240W, and I never had temp issues with that round/powder. We are so blessed, as handloaders/shooters to have these newer powders as compared to 40yrs ago! Back then, a bullet could get a bad rap as being "inaccurate" when it was a simple matter of burn rates/harmonics,etc with the then available powders. The late Bob Hagel wrote that he preferred the 210 Partition in the 338WM here in the lower 48. I am sure it would work awfully well in the North country as well...moose/black bear being the most affordable to most traveling hunters. Not too many non residents do a "working man's" Brown Bear hunt at those prices! ha

salmonchaser":oio3r3qm said:
truck driver":oio3r3qm said:
I use them for fire forming my .338 Jarrett. Super accurate, though a little slow. I fireform a box every year, shooting steel plates. If you end up not liking them I'll buy what you don't use.
I've never used that bullet for hunting with my 338 so I can't help you there.

Thanks for the offer but they would be yours free of charge and will keep you in mind.
I bought them because they were inexpensive and allow me to shoot more so I could get use to the rifle before next fall. I didn't know that Midway would play I got a secret with me on the branding so I could work up a safe load and it has left me with a not so good feeling for their customer service.

Here is some 338 load work ups.

Since I have a bunch of both I thought I would give them a go in my 338 Winchester. Here is what I found today. This was chrono work no groups measured.

Superformance. 225 Sierra Federal case & WLRM primers.
70gr.-2673
71gr.-2710
72gr.-2770
73gr.-2808
74gr.-2858
75gr.-2906
76gr.-2913

Hunter. 225 Sierra same case and primer as above
72gr.-2823
73gr.-2845
74gr.-2869
75gr.-2945
76gr.-2958

The Rifle is a Tikka T-3 Lite SS

All ejected easily and showed no signs of pressure.

Also shot.

IMR 4350 71.5 gr. 225 Hornady IB same cases and primers. 2887 fps and 3 shot group 1 7/8" at 220 yards.

H4350 69.5gr. 225 IB same case & primer. 2861 fps and 2" group at 220 yards.

Thanks Tjay I'm going to load up 20 rounds with the 225gr IB so I can get a H2O cap and get some accurate QL runs to work with. I'll start out with H4350 at about mid load range 2700fps and go from there since that's what I have the most of on hand

truck driver":4e5oxz8r said:

74 grains of RL19.... CCI250 in a Winchester or Nosler case..

Used the old 338 Win for many years and my favorite load

71.0 of IMR 4350
225 Swift A Frame
WW brass with WLRM primer

Back