338 Win Mag 225 Speer SPBT 2900FPS 4 Jugs

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a Speer 225 grain Spitzer Boattail. Recovered in the 4th jug. I'll put some specs and weights up later.

It would have pushed well into the vitals of an elk. Good performance of a proven bullet.

Nice performance but a little light on the penetration.

JD338

Nice wide expansion. Any sort of a side on shot on anything this side of a Kenworth and it's "lights out"!

Guy Miner":33m93wfe said:
Huh. Only four jugs? Interesting.

While a decent bullet, the reason I use it is because it's half the price of 225PTs. Since I had some extra jugs I figured I might as well see what it'll do. Never want one to get mixed in with the hunting loads but weirder things have happened.

Bullets looks pretty dang good, would have thought more jugs would be needed to catch it though.

I wonder what 3100 fps from a 338 RUM would do?

JD338

JD338":1d3hf8z4 said:
I wonder what 3100 fps from a 338 RUM would do?

JD338

I'm merely guessing here but can't see a whole lot of bullet being left to catch.

4 jugs or not, it's hard to imagine the big game animal that would be too tough for that bullet. I'd definitely pull the trigger on a sambar or a scrub bull with that bullet in the chamber.

bobnob":18u1yrmr said:
4 jugs or not, it's hard to imagine the big game animal that would be too tough for that bullet. I'd definitely pull the trigger on a sambar or a scrub bull with that bullet in the chamber.

Oh it would do the job but you would do well to not lay one into the shoulder of an elk.

I added a few more pictures of the specs for the bullet. Also, I didn't mention the core will come right out of this bullet. It was found in the jug, sitting next to the jacket.

The reason I use the bullet is it shoots to the same POI as the 225 PT and 225 BBC, for about 1/2 what PT's cost, so for general practice, it is much easier to shoot the Speers. I would buy into a bunch of 225 PT 2nds, but they haven't been dropped yet that I can tell.

Back