338 Win. Mag 265 Gr. Accubond Long Range load test

Happy Thanksgiving!

I had a little time this morning before starting the turkey. Loaded up a few more rounds for the 338 win mag, Rl17, and the 265 ABLR. I had worked up to 69.5 grains last weekend and decided to push another 1/2 grain to an even 70. Might be a “pet” load at this point.

Started with the 69.5 grain load and had 2 shots touching at 200 yards. Then fired 3 shots of the 70 grain load and stopped for the day. 3 shots in one enlarged hole at 200 yards. Gained another inch in elevation over the 69.5 load.

No signs of apparent pressure at this point. Easy extraction and primers look great!

I would guess that the load is approaching 2750 FPS......but have not verified yet. 69 grains was getting 2704 last weekend.....so it has to be close. Will get the velocity numbers this weekend and post the results.

That sounds like a good one. May have to give that load a shot. 2700 with that 265 is a powerful combo.

Don’t mean to derail the thread, lots of good info. I’ve only worked with the .30 cal variations on the ABLR and ELD’s but what I have found are the ABLR’s are very picky on their relationship to the rifling. Play with seating depth and don’t be afraid to jump those suckers a mile.

As far as terminal performance, I’ll take the ABLR all day over the ELD-X. The ELD-X didn’t penetrate worth a darn on elk for us outta my .300, the ABLR penetrated and mushroomed beautifully. Text book, in my opinion.

MtEmilyhunter":33gxtfjd said:
Happy Thanksgiving!

I had a little time this morning before starting the turkey. Loaded up a few more rounds for the 338 win mag, Rl17, and the 265 ABLR. I had worked up to 69.5 grains last weekend and decided to push another 1/2 grain to an even 70. Might be a “pet” load at this point.

Started with the 69.5 grain load and had 2 shots touching at 200 yards. Then fired 3 shots of the 70 grain load and stopped for the day. 3 shots in one enlarged hole at 200 yards. Gained another inch in elevation over the 69.5 load.

No signs of apparent pressure at this point. Easy extraction and primers look great!

I would guess that the load is approaching 2750 FPS......but have not verified yet. 69 grains was getting 2704 last weekend.....so it has to be close. Will get the velocity numbers this weekend and post the results.

Sounds like one heck of a great load, hope you can give it a field test soon.

We did some additional testing with the 265’s today. Set up a steel target at 550 yards and went to work. Direct hits right out of the gate. The 70 grain load was at 2775 FPS. .....69.5 came in at 2754. This was from a model 70 with 26 inch barrel.

My cousin worked up a similar load for his 22 inch barrel Ruger carbine. He was at 2694 FPS with a load of 68.5 grains. Pretty solid results out of a short barrel.

Attachments

• 40EB04FE-E880-4B6B-A9A1-D2B28F8C0DEA.jpeg
    40EB04FE-E880-4B6B-A9A1-D2B28F8C0DEA.jpeg
    776.9 KB · Views: 4,018
That is definitely hauling the mail. It will hit any game with authority.

Nosler brass. Average weight of brass was 210 grains. Cousin’s brass weighed 235.......so we did not go as heavy with his powder.

WLRM primers
3.34 O.A.C.L.
Rl17

Similiar load has been shot in 3 different guns now without any signs of pressure.......but use due diligence and start out low. I started at 64 grains and worked my way up.

They've got them at SPS at 20% off to boot! I have a few boxes on the way for the 338Rocket.

Scott

MtEmilyhunter,
Those velocities are incredible... The accuracy you're getting out of that load also makes it very attractive! It looks like someone is gonna go to the LGS and pick up a pound of RL17... :mrgreen:

On Friday I finally goat around to testing my 265 AB-LR load with H4831SC. The results were about on par with my initial expectations, but now that I see the RL17 load; I want faster and better. LOL

The velocity curve was rather interesting... The peak efficiency of the powder burn before velocity loss. I've seen this before with a hot dog 270 load work up also with H4831SC.
All the loads seemed to be running at reasonable pressures except for 72.0 at which I was getting very light ejector marks.(1st fire REM brass)

The average 3 shot velocities(except 69.0).
69.0 - 2473
69.5 - 2518
70.0 - 2576
70.5 - 2524
71.0 - 2526
71.5 - 2544
72.0 - 2555

I was relatively happy with the accuracy at 100 yards for a stock rifle that's wearing a wood stock. I'm sure I pulled off one shot on both the 69.0 and 70.0 loads, but on all the other shots I felt very comfortable.

69.5 gr. yielded a .63 group CTC @ 100yrd

70.0 gr. would be my pick of the litter because of the highest fps and I'm positive the 3rd shot was pulled off

Here's the results
File_001.jpegFile_000.jpegFile_002.jpegFile_003.jpegFile_004.jpegFile_005.jpeg

File_006.jpeg

This is load is published strictly for experimentation. Any attempt to replicate this load is not recommended. Hunter2011 will not be held responsible for damage done to person(s) or equipment involved in replication of loads published. Think smart, load smart, shoot smart, safety first.

Load warning***** I wanted to share some additional data on my load development for the 338 win mag and 265 ABLR. I had worked up to 70.5 grains of Rl17 and velocity was ranging 2808-2812. My group was under .75 at 200 yards.......so very happy.

I had just finished up with my 1st box of bullets and decided to try the box of “blems” that I had picked up. I found that weights of this box varied from a low of 264.3 grains to a high of 265.7 grains. I reduced the load by 2.5 grains and worked my way back up. Each load tested with the “blems” produced a higher velocity than the “non-blems” and the 70.5 grain load showed the 1st signs of pressure with a loose primer pocket and sticky bolt lift. Velocity jumped up to 2827. This was one of the heavier bullets as well.

I also found that one of the other heavier bullets had a different shape and did not match up to the other 3 bullets on a side by side comparison. Take a look at the bullet on the far right and see how the bearing surface does not match up. So it was not only heavier......but a little thicker near the top of the bearing surface.

I have always known to reduce the loads when a component changes and this was a good example of why. It also tells me that my load was a maximum load and that a slight change would produce the additional pressure. I will most likely continue with 69-69.5 grains......and cull a few bullets from this box as well.

DDEE0860-AFD4-4A10-AFAB-CC7F256C4393.jpeg

Hunter, upon reading your velocities, looks like you have a flat spot of 70.5 and 71 grains.
Might want to pick the middle charge and see what pops up. Nice shooting.

Hmm interesting... Over the last 2 weeks I've been reading and comparing the loads for RL26 and RL17 for shooting the 338WM 265s. What I decided especially after looking at the burn rate charts and reading on forums is that RL26 will look good on paper but is too slow for that cartridge.

Last week I picked up a pound of RL17 and am working up a load from 68.5-71.5 gr.. I know its hot, but I'm seating way-way further out than the standard 3.340 so I should be OK. I'm looking forward to testing them out and seeing what accuracy the new loads yield especially off of a lead sled. :grin:

This load is published strictly for experimentation. Any attempt to replicate this load is not recommended. Hunter2011 will not be held responsible for damage done to person(s) or equipment involved in replication of loads published. Think smart, load smart, shoot smart, safety first.

MtEmilyhunter,
May I ask where you purchased those bullets from. The reason is, I find those weights (1.4 gr.) and deformations absolutely unacceptable - especially for a "premium" bullet made to shoot long range. So "curiosity killed the cat" and I weighed 5 - 10 different bullets tonight and found the mass spread was 265.0-265.3 gr.. So a +-.15 gr. spread is acceptable to me for a 265 gr. bullet.

TackDriver284,

No sir... I'm topped out at that load. Once I start getting ejector marks from this gun I'm done. I understand that mid pressure ejector marks are possible, but these ones are the real deal.

I'm assuming the drop in velocity is because not all the powder is effectively burning and some is getting pushed along out of the barrel as part of the pay load (dropping FPS)... Anyone know if this theory is correct?

I haven't been reloading for 20+ years, but I've been doing it long enough to be able to read when enough is enough... I did manage to get 3137 with a 130 out of a 22in barreled 270 Win. using H4831SC without any pressure signs though. :mrgreen:

Hunter2011,

The blems were purchased through SPS. I was surprised at the variance as well.

I think that you are in for a surprise regarding how much velocity you might get with the RL17......but watch the upper end. I was happy at 70.5 grains.....until I tried the blems. My cousin was at 2714 FPS with a 22 inch barrel with a 70 grain load....... so 2750-2800 is achievable! Good luck!

Pretty danged cool. Might have to get some of these suckers. They would have to be a terror at distance in the 338.. Plus, I wouldn't worry about them crushing a near side joint.

MtEmilyhunter,
Ohhh ok. I've had my eye on the 265LR since they were announced last fall, and when they actually hit the shelf I did see those at SPS. It would've cost $13 for shipping and I figured it wouldn't be worth it so I just got em from grafs for about $5 more with shipping (SPS $63.00) (Grafs 68.00). Now that I hear your report boy am I glad I didnt buy blems.

Back