338 WM & Nosler bullets!!

ArmyCW

Beginner
Oct 29, 2008
Just thought I'd post this quote I found on another site.
Droul....or grin and bear it.

""Ok, so all that talk about Tika's on the other thread finally motivated me to take mine to the range today. If you will recall, The first time I shot her I was attempting to run 180 gr pills through her. Even though I was falsely accused of being a Nancy Boy for shooting such light rounds in a .338 WM (I'm still in therapy for mental anguish) I had my reasons. This is to be my Elk / Moose gun some time in the future. But with our economy and work, I am unsure if the moose part will come around. Elk, maybe next year. Anyway, since I've got her I was planning on using her for deer as well. What the heck. Gotta gun, might as well kill something with it.
But being a nice guy, I figured I'd not be cruel and unusual to the deer and load down to 180gr bullets. Sort of giving them a sporting chance. Well THAT didn't work!! Best I could get that gun to group was about 4 MOA and that right out SUCKs!

So, at the loving suggestion from all my dear and helpful friends, I got some 225 grain pebbles for her about 3 months ago. Finally, took her to the range today to see if I could actually make this Tika work or if she was going to get dumped. Not wanting to marry the gal if she wasn't going to put out, I only picked up one box of Federal Fusion 225gr. loads to see if there was a worthwhile improvement.

Now folks, I don't normally like to post pics of groups. Generally don't see the need too. But this time I will. Not because of my shooting ability, who cares. But simply to show the vast difference in what grain bullets a gun likes. Keep in mind, the first range session with Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Accubonds produced 4 MOA groups. This session with Federal Fusion 225 grain letters was hell and gone from the first.
3/4 MOA with the first 3 rounds.

Is this supposed to be a slam on Nosler bullets? If so, there are a number of potential problems, from these possibly being the first shots through the rifle, to the twist in his rifle not stablizing the 180gr Noslers, to the quality of the factory ammo, etc.

Lucky enough for me, all my rifles shoot any and all Nosler products very well. I know others that have a couple of rifles that just wont shoot the Nolsers, then again, they wont shoot well with a number of other brands.

The bottom line, Nosler wouldn't be in business if they didn't make a decent product. Also, it will take more than one minor story like this to change my mind.

Richracer1":2hfjesqe said:
Yeah, I'm with Colin on this.

What point are you trying to make??????? :? :? :? :?

Not trying to slam anyone or Nosler bullets. Point is some ammunition
and or bullets don't perform well. Myself included. I've shoot Hornady & Speer bullets for along time. Just haven't tried Noslers, but I do have
165 Ballastic Tips I'll be trying soon.

Maybe it was bullet weight that performed... You guys can make your own assesement from this.

The only conclusion I can draw is different guns like different ammo and this guy is plainly not a reloader and sounds quite inexperienced yet sure of himself.

Still don't understand the point??? Not to beat a dead horse, but we all have stories about problems, biet, accuracy or performance on game.

Here's a good one, that most would consider bullet failure...

My buddy hunting Whitetail in Canada shot a buck facing him at 150 yards with his .300 Win Mag (can't remember the bullet choice off hand). At the shot the buck flipped onto his back and didn't move. About a minute later the buck was up and ran into the woods. After tracking this buck for more than 6 hours (seeing some blood and where the buck had bedded down), another hunter in camp shot the buck. There was a veteranarian in camp and they opened the buck up. His bullet hit dead center of the chest, missed the heart, lungs and arteries, missed the liver, bounced off the spine and ended up in the rear ham. The vet said, "Barring infection, the buck would likely make a full recovery".

Now my buddy, after the shot, automatically thought bullet failure, then quickly changed his mind after seeing what had happened. Not all bullets shoot great from all guns, not all animals hit in a potentially vital area die. It's not a perfect world.

Any bullet company that is in business, I'm sure makes a quality product, or else they'd not be in business.

Sounds like you like 180 gr. loads and thats not bad. They fly fast and flat and still make a big hole. You've found the load your rifle likes. Congrats. Send us some pictures of your hunts.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Some rifles are finicky with certain bullet brands, weights, factory ammo......
I have never tried the 338 cal 180 gr BT or AB bullets but my 338 RUM shoots all Nosler bullets from 200 gr to 250 gr offerings .5 MOA or better. :grin:

JD338

guns like to be fed certain things. my 338 didnt necassarily love th 225 grain accubonds. but when stuffed with 230 grain failsafes it loved them. both are made by nosler. its what the gun likes not what the shooter likes.

My buddy had a Rem 700 338 Win.......

the only bullet it shot was 250 sierra gameking. 1.5" t 200 yards regularly. Everything else was a shotgun pattern. Guns are weird in some ways.

The federal premium gold match ammo with 168gr Sierra match kings shoots 1/2 MOA (or better) in Guy Miners .308. The same ammo shoot 12 MOA in my .308. Considering all the trophy's that bullet has won, it has to be considered on the the worlds best, but I won't be winning any matches with it.

Guns can be more picky then women. I guess that why I bullets from at least 7 different makes on the shelf.

+1 Antelope SNiper.

Bout the 308's

Not to steal the thread, but my CZ550 V 308 won't shoot 168 SMK's well, but loves(generally 0.5-0.7 moa) 180 NBT & NAB over 44 grns IMR 4064 in a 1-12 twist, kinda wierd eh??

CC

Like I said before.

Guns are like people.....all are particular in what the eat. Some love haggis, some despise it! :lol:

Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish.

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

Haggis somewhat resembles stuffed intestines (pig intestines otherwise known as chitterlings or the kokoretsi of traditional Balkan cuisine), sausages and savoury puddings of which it is among the largest types. As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour."[1]

Here in Alaska this is my main Moose bullet in my 338 Win

The 225 Gr AB with Reloader 19[/img]

Back