338 WSM (aka 338 Redneck)

Dec 25, 2010
Has anyone had any experiences with the 338 WSM wildcat ? Among other "aka's" it is known in some circles as the 338 Redneck - I just began a first project on one of these, I am going to have a 270 WSM model 70 rebored to 338 "WSM" - I have some starter data and am looking for Redding dies - I ordered 100 Nosler custom 325 WSM brass for donor brass - The 200 AccuBond comes highly recommended with a little data for 225's which is what I want to use since this rifle is planned as a somewhat specialized huntin' iron

Sounds like a cool project. To be completely honest, a .338 would be pretty far down the list on WSM wildcats for me, after .257, 6.5, .358 and maybe .375.

Good luck with your build! I've read a bunch about them bit don't know why it wouldn't be a perfectly awesome cartridge. I imagine you would really come close to the 338WM and be a little ahead of the 338-06. Keep us updated on your progress and get it throated long to save powder room. That might net you some serious room and get you deeply into the 338WM territory. Scotty

backcountryhunter

Congratulations on your new project. I would think the 338 WSM would be similar to the 325 WSM but with a better selection of bullets.
The 225 gr AB should make for a real thumper.

JD338

Hmmm. Fascinating project. QL projects that with a stiff load of RL17, a 338 WSM will launch a 200 grain AB at just a shade under 3000 fps. That would be smoking.

Heath, I will follow your lead on the 358WSM! I've read alot on 35cal.com. Neat cartridge. Talk about a serious thumper. I would think one built on a FWT would be really sweet! Scotty

Interesting to see how this one turns out. I did some research prior to getting my boy his 325 WSM. Same indicated that the 8mm bullet was the biggest diameter Winchester could use (and chose) before the case just ran "out of steam" or efficiency Per se.

Can not wait to here your results. :wink:

been shooting a 325 WSM for a year now and did a fair amount of research before embarking on this project - word has it that the talk about Winchester testing all the potential WSM's and settling on the 325 due to "steam" and "feeding issues" and such is all "bunk" as can be atested to the many different WSM wildcats that have been developed - the 358 was a consideration but same situation as the 8mm, no bullet choices - I shot a 458 WSM and tried mightily to buy that model 70 to no avail - after alot of research and number crunching PLUS alot of communication with Bill Plumlee in N.C. I decided the 338 was where I wanted to make my "debut" into the WSM wildcat world (as in a 200 AccuBond traveling 3100 fps from a 26" tube) we will see about that claim but I believe it will be a good solid performer and a smooth operating cartridge ... time will tell

Cool, Let us know as the project progresses.
However I gotta ask.....
26" barrel? Isn't that counter-intuitive for a shorty wildly rifle the WSM's were meant to be?
If I have a 26" tube I'd go 338 Win or better yet 338 RUM.

In a 24" tube you should get 2950 or so safely.

agreed, I was just relaying what one of the wildcat's originators says - this will be an Alaska rifle for me so I will go 23" or possibly even 22" - Plumlee is saying he beats the Win Mag performance and the RUM is simply another class of rifle IMO, it would seem that no matter the hole size the WSM platform is somewhat more efficient - I chose the older model 70 because of the trigger, I have had my once beloved Abolts freeze on me twice on elk hunts, both to the point I had to go back to camp and get near the woodstove to thaw them (no grease in the bolt, no oil in the action, no moisture was allowed to accumulate, 2 different Abolts just froze up, most likely in the safety mechanism ) I have trust in the original model 70 design being trustworthy in adverse conditions and I could find no negatives about the CRPF - SORRY ! got sidetracked !

I think it would be a sweet set up with a 24" tube. It seems I have handled enough 24's that they feel very comfortable to me. I think your 338WSM will be awesome. With todays powders, there isn't enough case capacity difference bettween the Win Mag and WSM to change it a whole lot.

I measured a fully resized WW 270WSM case full to the brim with RL22, got 79.5gr, I think the 7RM WW was 80.4, I don't think there is going to be as much difference as some folks think as long as you can seat your longer 200-225gr bullets out. Scotty

my "all around" rifle does have a 24" pipe and that suits me fine - for quite a few seasons I carried a heavy old "fat bolt" Browning with a 23" Douglas barrel and that worked equally as well - By nature I am always looking for a "comprimise" so 23" is most likely where I'll chop it and besides, I have shot short barrelled rifled and the muzzle blast is not pleasant so 22" is my limit on centerfires

The 338 WSM (aka) 338 REDNECK tm is one awesome round. I've been building them out of my shop in NC since the WSM hit the street. The recent addition of the WSM to the Remington line has made things a lot easier, no more bolt modification to fit the WSM and the Round fits the mag. well nicely @ 2.86 OAL.

My 200 gr. ballistics are now @ 3277 fps and the 225 @ 2980 using a 26" Douglas premium barrel
with a target crown, most are #5 SS, sporter taper.
Early trials with the 200 gr were impressive both velocity and accuracy. 3100 fps and sub 1/2 " groups at
100 yds.
With some new powder selections I've been able to increase the velocity and maintain accuracy sub
1/2 " at 100 yds. for both the 200 and the popular 225gr.

The 325 WSM brass works well to neck up. Douglas Barrels has my finish reamer to do my barrels. We set the head spacing for new brass at less than .002. The power,accuracy and reduced recoil are a true pleasure to behold.

If I can help any of you in anyway, please contact me on my "338 REDNECK" blog.
Gunhog

Those are some incredible speeds buddy! Truly awesome. This thread would be alot better with some pictures of your builds!!!! That 338WSM sounds like it is a heater. That is quite alot faster than I can push my 338WM. What is the powder that is working the most for you? Scotty

"I decided the 338 was where I wanted to make my "debut" into the WSM wildcat world (as in a 200 AccuBond traveling 3100 fps from a 26" tube) we will see about that claim but I believe it will be a good solid performer and a smooth operating cartridge ... time will tell"

From my own experience, since I own a 8.59 Galaxy (.338 Short Lazzeroni) in a McBros action w/25" Lilja Barrel, the most I was able to muster in a 210 gr. Barnes XLC was 3055 fps 20' from the muzzle and 200 gr. bullets were not that much faster if memory serves me correctly? His own data is 3186- 3214 fps. w/ a 26" tube. But either way, anything traveling over 3,000 fps and weighing 200 grs. is enough to kill anything w/the right bullet and placed right! 8)

If you need/want more speed..... go w/ a bigger cartridge!

I have not finished my testing yet. But I can reach 2650fps with a berger 300gr out of a 28" barrel. I'm also testing a 338-7wsm version now to see if the extra case capacity is worth it.

That 338-7WSM sounds pretty cool. Not very far off my 338WM at all. I imagine throated correct it would really run up the numbers a little as well. Keep us in the loop. Love those WSMs. Scotty

Back