A Mixed Day at the Range

Hope to begin to wring it out next week, Jim. Yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

Yeah, I would think that would be an easy deal for them. It is truly a beautiful rifle. Something about the big .35's just warms my heart.

That Ruger 35 Whelen is stacking them in nicely DrMike, should work great for moose shortly. And like the others have said the 358 Norma is a real beauty........

Thanks, Gerry. Bevan had the action and the wood. Lou Bates did the stock work. I've admired his work locally for quite a few years and finally have one of his rifles. When I bought the Whelen, the factory had sent out a rifle with a seriously "fuzzed" stock. Lou cleaned it up quite nicely. I confess that I do like a pretty rifle.

DrMike, those rifles just look clean :wink:!! Very nice.
Man that 35 Whelen is a tack driver you sure know what it takes to make her sing (y)!
I hope the 35 Whelen gets out at least one day with us next month :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":37zgezc5 said:
I hope the 35 Whelen gets out at least one day with us next month :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Such is a possibility, Dan. :)

Hi Doc.

Thanks for the show.

I believe if you get 310grain woodleighs going 2280 ft/sec in that Whelen of yours + you have 225s doing +2600 ft/sec you would never look at a .358Norma again. Too much versatillity in such good caliber like the .35 Whelen.
A 310grain FMJ can kill elephants with picked shots.

Thanks for sharing.

You are correct that that would be a lot of mass on target. Candidly, the 225 at this velocity is sufficient to take down anything around here. I am likely going to work up some loads with the 275 Woodleigh, just because. :)

It is tough to beat a Whelen. I'm sorta fond of my Newton but my Whelen has earned its keep a few times.

It'll do, Scotty. (y) I've got the 358 Norma Magnum sorted out. It should be fired this coming week.

I am looking forward to that a lot Mike. Those big 35's are something serious.

SJB358":wkctjsq8 said:
Those big 35's are something serious.

They will get the job done. I had to adjust the OAL by 0.005 inches. I don't want to jump too fast at rechambering, though that is always an option.

Got it. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does. I need to get the Newton out one of these days. Been awhile since I've shot it.

My loads are stoked with 280 grain A-Frames (should deliver a good punch) and 250 grain A-Frames. Either should perform very well against big, toothy critters that just happen to be armed with claws.

Oh heck yeah. I'm running the 250 PTs and 225 ABs. Both of those shoot well from the Newton. Those Swifts should be something serious!

I haven't even started with the 250 grain Partitions, but I anticipate they will work very well, indeed.

Back