35 ack mag

mosesdad

Beginner
Sep 26, 2026
3
5
Is anyone else shooting a 35 ackley mag
Why do most hunters who shoot big calibers do so
I believe its because they have been taught that no matter what
Shoot the heaviest caliber that you can shoot comfotably and accuratly
 
I’m betting it’s more like a 358 Norma myself.

Be cool to see what he comes back with.

Could be a fire breather like a 358 STA…
 
Welcome to the forum. What is the 35 Ackley Mag based off of? What bullet(s) do you shoot and at what velocity?

JD338
JD338
The 35AckleyMag improved is based on an 8 mm mag necked up to .358 blown forward with about a 35 degree shoulder
I shoot light loads
225g swift at a little under 3200fps
On a zkk602 action with a 27 inch obermyer barrel
 
JD338
The 35AckleyMag improved is based on an 8 mm mag necked up to .358 blown forward with about a 35 degree shoulder
I shoot light loads
225g swift at a little under 3200fps
On a zkk602 action with a 27 inch obermyer barrel
Nice
Sounds like the hammer of Thor

JD338
 
Sounds somewhat similar to the 358 Shooting Times Alaskan...
Hope you are enjoying your rifle.
Bigger cartridges definitely have their place on larger, tougher game.

Love the 35 cal, but have mostly played and own the milder versions. Have shot the 358 Norma Mag, and found it pretty neat to shoot, but did not hunt with my friend's rifle.
Have also shot DrMike's 9.3x64 and that was pretty cool too. I own the little brother in the 9.3x62, which is good enough for me.
Have also played with friend's 375 H&H AI and was looking at building a 375 Wby, but after shoulder issues, went with the 376 Steyr.
Another friend's 416 Rigby, and another's 458 Win Mag were also fun, but I chose the 416 Taylor for something a little more different.
I don't mind the heavier recoil of most of the medium and larger bores, and they have been fun to shoot (except for a friend's 500/450 3 1/4" with full power loads, or his 510 Wells with 700 gr bullets in a light rifle - although my groups were pretty good off hand) but I now choose not to abuse my shoulder as much as I would have when I was younger.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top